Gear S charging cradle

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Is anybody else having the problem where the cradle clasp breaks and the cradle no longer snaps onto the back? This is my 2nd cradle replacement in 4 months. Seems sort of like a design problem.

DonShock

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Yep, a very poor design. Mine broke after 3 weeks, in the process of taking it off the charger not putting it on where I would suspect misalignment as the cause. I spent 3 days trying to contact Samsung before just giving up. And since replacements weren't available for order yet, I learned to use a small clamp to hold the charger on to keep my Gear S charged. Once replacements became available I ordered one for on-the-go use, but for normal recharging 2-3 times a week I continue to use the one with the broken tab and the clamp.

Samsung needs a desktop charger that works something like the clamp that holds the CPU onto the motherboard socket. Set the watch on the charger, push down a lever and a frame pushes against the edges of the Gear S to hold it down on the charging pins with firm but not excessive force.

Therealm80

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I always find it a pain to connect the charger and I have to either press hard or re-do it because of a bad connection. Am I putting it on wrong? Is it really that annoying?
Thanks

pdqgp

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
mine first and only one just broke. looks to be the top clip. I've improvised by compressing the watch around a water bottle. May likely just use a velcro strap to hold it on while charging.

definitely a poor design

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't use the little handles because of this problem being mentioned here. I use my thumbnail to pop it off where there is no handle. So far so good and thanks for letting me know the handles can break off.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Cradle is very cheaply made, and is a huge design flaw. The tab broke on my after only 3 months of use. I'll be getting one off eBay.
It probably won't have the built in battery for standalone charging, but hopefully it won't break as easily as the one made by Samsung.
Wish Samsung used a magnetic charging adapter like the Pebble, and most other smartwatches.

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Whatever Apple uses, Samsung will clone in their next edition.

Are you suggesting that Samsung's 6th (something like that...lost count) watch will clone Apple's first watch that hasn't even come out yet? And I suppose you will also suggest that everything on Apple's first watch will be innovative and groundbreaking too... ;) just teasing...I hope you know that :)

Posted via the Android Central App using the Note 4

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Are you suggesting that Samsung's 6th (something like that...lost count) watch will clone Apple's first watch that hasn't even come out yet? And I suppose you will also suggest that everything on Apple's first watch will be innovative and groundbreaking too... ;) just teasing...I hope you know that :)

It's almost like Samsung does it on purpose. Design a curved display device that'll withstand a 2 story drop (see thread I started with video of stress test) yet a charger that can't hold up to a simple click. Stuff that companies trying to go bankrupt are made of, not ones who want to dominate the market.
I find it humorous that suddenly the smartwatch is relevant. I remember when the iPhone model with the bad antenna placement was released, Jobs blamed the owners for holding it wrong and suddenly millions changed the way they held their phone.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 charging cradles. One OEM and one aftermarket. Neither has broke but I'm very gentle and cautious with them too.

🔊from the n.3 Monolith 🎧

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
It's almost like Samsung does it on purpose. Design a curved display device that'll withstand a 2 story drop (see thread I started with video of stress test) yet a charger that can't hold up to a simple click. Stuff that companies trying to go bankrupt are made of, not ones who want to dominate the market.
I find it humorous that suddenly the smartwatch is relevant. I remember when the iPhone model with the bad antenna placement was released, Jobs blamed the owners for holding it wrong and suddenly millions changed the way they held their phone.

Oh I agree 100%! With so many charging options today...wireless being my favorite of what is available...even a magnetic cradle would have been great! I did see the stress test...and showed it to iPhone fanatic friends to tease them...the acted like they weren't paying attention...lol

pdqgp

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Just had the second clip break! ARGHHH!!!!!! Broke down and ordered a simple charger dock only fro $20 from Amazon. Paid a few bucks more but it will be here Tuesday. Will suffice until the LG Urbane LTE is out and I go with that one.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
The clip breaking is nothing... just wait until the piece on the watch that the charger locks onto cracks. See my thread for the pic. Watch is a throwaway at that point...

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
The clip breaking is nothing... just wait until the piece on the watch that the charger locks onto cracks. See my thread for the pic. Watch is a throwaway at that point...

Are you serious? That part on the watch cracks also? So now I have to watch out for that too? I bought 2 extra chargers off of ebay just to be prepared in case the original broke. Well after 1 month of use one of the extra chargers broke. I have started using the 2nd backup charger but so far thankfully the original is hanging in there. I love this watch but this is ridiculous.

anystar

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I had the problem 2 x . now I 've made ​​this halter with a 3D printer and use so that the charging cradle when the clips are broken
the pressure at the close of the wrist is enough to recharge

11119028_937281402969858_1348225531_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol