Honest Opinion Needed

hypnospastic

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone!

I am in the market for a new watch. I currently have the Gear 2 and really enjoy it however, I want an additional time piece.

Initially, the Gear S was what I set my heart on however, I am turning towards the LG G Watch R as I initially had purchased the 360 but didn't like the black bar so I returned it. So far, I am ok with Tizen but don't really have a lot of experience with Android Wear aside from the 3 days I had the 360.

Both are very pleasing to the eye and the Gear S looks good on my wrist. I have not been able to have hands-on time with the LG however I like what I've seen online.

With that said, what are your honest opinions and recommendations? I don't plan on using the cellular feature of the Gear S. I just want the same functionality as the Gear 2. I am happy with that. Plus, I don't want to add service to my account for it. Do any of you know if it is possible to purchase the watch with carrier attachment?

I'm torn so I really appreciate your input and thank you in advance!

Posted via the Android Central App

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Great question. And I am not in a great position to share the details on the LG G Watch R. But...if you are not looking to use the stand alone feature of the Gear S, that is a negative point obviously. The LG has Google Now, that is a positive point. Apps...the LG wins. I suppose it depends on what apps you are looking for and how many would you realistically use? We all have too many apps downloaded onto our phones and probably use 10% of them and forget the others are even there. Battery life is user defined. Market life...well...neither of them has one...they are so new to the market and better watches are being released at such a rate that I think in a year at the most you will feel your watch will feel old and dated...maybe even 6 months! Then there is looks...I have average sized wrists and love the look of the S on. Looks was the deciding factor for me...along with the ability to use it on the network without my phone for runs, walks etc. I use a Note 4, and summer runs with that thing on is a challenge! I didn't want a watch from the future to look like a watch from the past...and when I bought it...the price was great (BestBuy was quite flexible). I do however...absolutely wish...Google Now was a feature. But I have gotten used to S Voice...it works. Good luck with whatever you decide...both watches are super cool :)

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Yes you can buy an S straight out without a data plan from AT&T and Verizon. At first T-Mobile didn't allow buying without a plan but I think I read where they have changed their policy.
The S is going to provide a bigger screen if that's a factor to you .
Samsung just released a firmware update to the S and if they hold true to form it'll be the last one and they'll abandon the S from here forth, concentrating on the next generation whereas Android Wear is just getting cranked up in their software.
The S started off way ahead of the curve but AW will probably surpass it by summers end with their next releases. LG already has plans for a round watch with lte radio as well as other bells and whistles.
Me personally, I loathe Google Now so I'm very content with my S as is and don't see me switching to AW as long as it's just GN on a watch in the name of AW.
Both platforms have a gazillion watch faces to choose from, both lack everywhere else BUT look for the instant success (deserved or not) the Apple watch will have will probably affect AW development more than Tizen.

hypnospastic

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks mountainbikemark and sirCLD for taking the time to provide your opinion. I really appreciate it. I had hoped a few more people would have contributed but I will take what I can get.

I really like both watches however, I will more than likely go with the Gear S. While I don't particularly care for Tizen, I do like the look and feel of the Gear S. I really wish Samsung hadn't gone that route as I love Google's integration into devices but it isn't terrible. There is some major room for improvement on Samsung's part when it comes to S Voice as well as their "app store" and I hope it comes eventually. I still haven't pulled the trigger and purchased yet but plan to by the end of the month.

Thanks again for your thoughts on it!

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I would hold out for the next crop of Wear watches at this point. It may not seem like a big deal, but Google's Wear integration is just far better than what Samsung has done. I wake up to an LG G Watch watch full of useful notifications and news (courtesy of Google Now); the Gear S might have a missed text notification and nothing else.

InfamousUnknown

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I get text, emails, my calendar, and Skype messages on mine.

I haven't set up a lot of the other notifications because I don't really want dialog fatique on the watch. Just the things I want.

My concern with Wear has always been that it seemed too reliant on voice. Voice is great when i'm alone, but in most situations I have people around me and I don't want to be speaking my text message, or search criteria for all to hear.

hypnospastic

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
That was another concern of mine, buying now when a new batch of smart watches is probably just around the corner. I'm so torn to be honest. Not a lot of experience with Wear but I like the Google integration which Tizen doesn't offer......decisions, decisions...Tizen isn't terrible on my Gear 2 however S Voice is horrible. Chances are I will probably wait a few months.

Thanks again to all who have commented!

uawildcat

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I was the same way and was back and forth between the moto 360 and the gear s. I've had the gear S for 1.5 weeks and I love it. I can forward phone calls to it and receive text. I thought the screen was to big at first but I've gotten use to it. I use it with my note 4. Hope this helps.

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
My brother just ordered his Apple watch for over $1500. I asked him what his watch can do in the absence of his phone while he's at the park or out for a walk...he has yet to reply. This one feature of the Gear S puts it in a category of its own...and was the deciding factor for me.

Posted via the Android Central App using the Note 4

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i personally think the 360 is ugly, but to each his own. i figure if i'm going to try to do things on my watch, texting, answering email, web browsing, etc i want a big screen!!! love this watch!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz