Gear S battery issue

hichem jerbi

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Really i don't understand how samsung said that the gear s stands 2 days,,since after only 1 day (12 hours from 07am to 07 pm) of using it with only bluetooth on,,to connect the headset, wakup gesture off and svoice off , battery left is about 30%,, so may be the 30% left will stand another day !!!!!
Really i'm wondering how about to use the HDSPA all day long !!!!!!

I think samsung is speaking about 2 days in airplane mode 😠

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Really i don't understand how samsung said that the gear s stands 2 days,,since after only 1 day (12 hours from 07am to 07 pm) of using it with only bluetooth on,,to connect the headset, wakup gesture off and svoice off , battery left is about 30%,, so may be the 30% left will stand another day !!!!!
Really i'm wondering how about to use the HDSPA all day long !!!!!!

I think samsung is speaking about 2 days in airplane mode 😠

I believe it is more dependent on usage; when I first got mine...I was getting less than a day. I never put the thing down! Now I am on day 3 with 38%: Bluetooth to my phone, a few calls a day, reading all notifications, replying to handful of notifications using s voice. I did use it with my Bluetooth headset for an hour the other day...killed about 40% of the battery pretty fast.

Posted via the Android Central App using the Note 4

DonShock

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I work with chemicals so I leave my Gear S at home on work days. But on my days off when I have the Gear S on continuously, I routinely make it about 40-55 hours on a charge. That's while remaining in Bluetooth range of my phone, answering a couple short calls a day with the Gear S, a few notifications, and occasional use for weather checks and such. If it got just a few hours more, I could make it the full 60 hours I am off. Of course, if I leave the phone at home when I go out and the Gear S has to use the mobile networks to maintain a remote connection or even stand alone mode, that will drop the battery life quite a bit. But even in extended use that way, I still easily get a full day. The only time I've noted battery drop fast enough to concern me about getting through the day is when I've played around with GPS and mapping. So if I anticipate needing the GPS, I make sure to drop the charger/battery backup in my pocket before I leave. But most times, I just occasionally check the charge status. No dead battery paranoia in my typical uses.

hichem jerbi

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I believe it is more dependent on usage; when I first got mine...I was getting less than a day. I never put the thing down! Now I am on day 3 with 38%: Bluetooth to my phone, a few calls a day, reading all notifications, replying to handful of notifications using s voice. I did use it with my Bluetooth headset for an hour the other day...killed about 40% of the battery pretty fast.

yes, I believe that what you said is true since i just bought it ,, battery life increases with the use (like a baby growing up :p ) ,, remains to check this on mine

InfamousUnknown

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
What is your watch face? I find that a bright and colorful face drains battery much faster than a simple black and white one.

I charge mine every night, but I usually end up with 60+ % when I go to bed. I get emails, texts, and calls on mine all day long. Probably 100 emails a day. I probably read / scan 20 on the watch.

hichem jerbi

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
What is your watch face? I find that a bright and colorful face drains battery much faster than a simple black and white one.

I charge mine every night, but I usually end up with 60+ % when I go to bed. I get emails, texts, and calls on mine all day long. Probably 100 emails a day. I probably read / scan 20 on the watch.

I'm using stock watch face,,the first blue clock

Last edited:

DonShock

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
What is your watch face? I find that a bright and colorful face drains battery much faster than a simple black and white one..............
That is a characteristic of all AMOLED displays like the one used on the Gear S. My understanding is that the individual pixels use no power when displaying black on an AMOLED display while other display types still use some power no matter what color they are displaying. The use of dark backgrounds is often listed as a power saving tip for AMOLED phones. With such a small battery size, the effect is very noticeable.

In addition to screen color affecting battery life, the selection of clock face can have a big effect. Sometimes it is understandable and expected to a degree. A feature rich clock face that is probably accessing a lot of information on your watch or phone is likely to be a bit of a battery hog. While a more Spartan one with minimal info would be expected to prolong battery life. But in playing around, I have found that there are a few clock faces that can really suck down your battery so sometimes a good looking but inefficient one just needs to get the boot. The stock faces do seem to be some of the best for power use, so I do tend to go back to them whenever I feel the need to try to stretch my run time.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I went through a time period where battery life was absolutely horrendous. After the last gear manager update a while back my battery life is now tremendous. :)

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I would like to see an app that is life gsam for phones that shows what's using battery on the watch. As more apps get better at standalone and as Don posted above my battery life is getting better also. If I turn my watch off before bed I'm easily getting 3 days between charges now with normal usage.
Data network set to auto and I'm in and out of Bluetooth tether all day, GPS and location off, Wi-Fi off, Low Energy Clock as my watch face, no weather or news sync in the background. I listen to music at least a half hour each day on the built in music player with and without headphones, a plethora of email and text notifications using Gear S Notification Extender. Also as written above , I expect a huge drain if I use the standalone GPS to map my route in s health and have found Wi-Fi to be another huge battery hog. The most network data I've used in a month was under 200KB so Wi-Fi is not needed on mine at all. I tried it once just to see if it was faster than AT&T network and Opera Mini, which it wasn't.

Josh Elmore

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I JUST got the GEAR S yesterday. I fully charged it overnight. Woke up in the morning and put it around my wrist, about 3 hours later is was completely dead. I BARELY used it. It was connected to blutooth on my phone with S Voice enabled. I maybe texted from it twice. I'm back to android after about 5 months with iPhone. I love it, but the battery stuff is a real pain in the ****.

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I JUST got the GEAR S yesterday. I fully charged it overnight. Woke up in the morning and put it around my wrist, about 3 hours later is was completely dead. I BARELY used it. It was connected to blutooth on my phone with S Voice enabled. I maybe texted from it twice. I'm back to android after about 5 months with iPhone. I love it, but the battery stuff is a real pain in the ****.

Absolutely no reason it could go dead on 3 hours of the usage you explained. A petty as it may sound... Did you go over everything that was mentioned previously in this thread? Did you try a reset and recharge?

ddavis1408

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I will say mine has gotten better over time. I've had it about a month or so and when I first got it it was horrible now after 12 hours I'm still around 65-70%

Posted via the Android Central App

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

Check your settings for brightness, motion, etc.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I will say mine has gotten better over time. I've had it about a month or so and when I first got it it was horrible now after 12 hours I'm still around 65-70%

That'd be awesome. I've read maybe 5 texts and a dozen emails, and did a 30 second call. I took it off the charger at 8am, it's now 430 pm and I'm at 45%. This is with GPS off, S voice off and gestures/mootion wake off. The only thing "on" is wifi but it's been on BT to the phone the while time so I think wiif is still off.

I've had the watch 3 days and have been trying hard to use it minimally to see how people get 3 days. I bought it used, AT&T variant with no Sim card.

David Grossman1

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I have had my Samsung Gear S for a few weeks. I am not getting more than 4 to 5 hours out of it. I have tried everything, watching all the you tubes and videos and instructions and forums on how to save power. I have my old FitBit Surge as backup. I can't take the Gear S hiking because it won't last, I can't sleep with it, because it dies. Even in battery saver mode only get 1/2 plus a day out of it. I bought a 2nd battery, but that is not helpful. This will be the first time I return a device to T-mobile and pay the restocking fee. I am bummed.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Samsung Gear S for a few weeks. I am not getting more than 4 to 5 hours out of it. I have tried everything, watching all the you tubes and videos and instructions and forums on how to save power. I have my old FitBit Surge as backup. I can't take the Gear S hiking because it won't last, I can't sleep with it, because it dies. Even in battery saver mode only get 1/2 plus a day out of it. I bought a 2nd battery, but that is not helpful. This will be the first time I return a device to T-mobile and pay the restocking fee. I am bummed.
Where did you buy a 2nd battery, and how do you swap it?

Last edited:

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Yeah it really shouldn't be that bad. Mine isn't lasting close to what I'd like, but I can still get a full 24 hours with 30 minutes of phone calls, 20 minutes of running with cell/gps/BT headphones, and a large amount of notifications. If they give you a new one will it reset the return date?

David Grossman1

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I went back to store and even though I was 5 days post 14 day return 5he replaced Gear S. So I am starting a-new and I already see an improvement. Also I turned off Bluetooth and took display to darkest setting. It's much better now. I got a full day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol