Warning about flights...

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Just a warning to anyone traveling with the gear s. I recently took a few flights traveling to Costa Rica, shortly after arriving went into a pool with my gear s on like normal.... Then I notice it's no longer working. Even though the water damage indicator under the Sim card showed no water damage... somehow water got into the watch and it stopped working. T-mobile rep said that it is very rare, but the frequent changes in air pressure weakened the water resistant seals. Good news is its covered under insurance, and I'll have my replacement in 1-2 business days. I was also informed that something similar can happen with the Galaxy S5...

So yeah just a warning, if you travel frequently be carefully about water damage afterwards.

Posted via the Android Central App

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Just a warning to anyone traveling with the gear s. I recently took a few flights traveling to Costa Rica, shortly after arriving went into a pool with my gear s on like normal.... Then I notice it's no longer working. Even though the water damage indicator under the Sim card showed no water damage... somehow water got into the watch and it stopped working. T-mobile rep said that it is very rare, but the frequent changes in air pressure weakened the water resistant seals. Good news is its covered under insurance, and I'll have my replacement in 1-2 business days. I was also informed that something similar can happen with the Galaxy S5...

So yeah just a warning, if you travel frequently be carefully about water damage afterwards.

If you were wearing your watch and were traveling in the cabin and there was no loss of cabin pressure and no one opened a window...then I am afraid that the T-Mobile rep is wrong :) the difference in pressure in the cabin of a plane is quite minimal...the Gear S isn't the first water resistant watch to fly the skies. This time, and perhaps this time only...Delta isn't at fault.

Posted via the Android Central App using the Note 4

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

I have not flown with the Gear S yet. My first flight with my Gear Fit I forgot and left it on during the flight. When I got off the flight I noticed at some point during the flight it had cut off and would not power back on. It took me awhile to get it to work again. After that I made sure to power it off before take off and will do the same for my Gear S. If there was no water damage then I wonder if this was the same issue?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Its water resistant not water proof. Don't believe you're supposed to swim with it on. Spill some water on it is a little different than swimming.

kieso

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes there's a big difference between water proof and water resistant. I just don't trust it or risk it in water even though it's supposed to be safe in 3 feet of water

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
This statement is not exactly correct. I used to work on the environmental systems of aircraft and the cabin is pressurized usually to 8000 feet typically. That is why your ears start popping after takeoff the pressure in the cabin is changing from whatever the local altitude is to 8K, it then maintains that pressure throughout the flight and until you descend below 8K feet. Your watch seals and your ears are doing the same thing at the same time. Unless you live where I do in the mountains of Colorado at 8000 feet above sea level, the cabin pressure would be more rarefied, less dense, less pressure, than the surrounding air. If the seals were still equalizing than the ambient air would be getting in the watch, in the pool, the water would be equalizing the pressure in the watch. Hence, water in the watch.

If you were wearing your watch and were traveling in the cabin and there was no loss of cabin pressure and no one opened a window...then I am afraid that the T-Mobile rep is wrong :) the difference in pressure in the cabin of a plane is quite minimal...the Gear S isn't the first water resistant watch to fly the skies. This time, and perhaps this time only...Delta isn't at fault.

From the manual for the Gear S

"Maintaining Water and Dust
Resistance
The device may be damaged if water or dust
enters the device. Follow these tips carefully to
prevent damage to the device and to maintain
the water- and dust-resistant performance of the
device.

Do not immerse the device in water deeper
than 1 m and keep it submerged for more than
30 minutes.

Do not expose the device to
water moving
with force
, such as water running from a tap,
ocean waves, or waterfalls.

If the device or your hands are wet, dry them
thoroughly before handling the device.

If the device is exposed to freshwater, dry
it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. If the
device is exposed to any liquid other than
freshwater, rinse the device with freshwater
immediately and dry it thoroughly with a
clean, soft cloth. Failure to rinse the device
in freshwater and dry it as instructed may
cause the device to suffer from operability
or cosmetic issues.

If the device is dropped or receives an
impact
, the water-and dust-resistant features
of the device may be damaged.

If the device has been immersed in water or
the microphone or the speaker is wet
, sound
may not be heard clearly during a call. Ensure
that the microphone or the speaker is clean
and dry by wiping it with a dry cloth.

The touchscreen and other features may not
work properly
if the device is used in water
or in other liquids.

Your device has been tested in a controlled
environment and shown to be water-and
dust-resistant in certain circumstances
(meets requirements of classification IP67
as described by the international standard
IEC 60529 - Degrees of Protection provided
by Enclosures [IP Code]; test conditions:
15 - 35°C, 86 - 106 kPa, 1 meter, for 30
minutes). Despite this classification, your
device is not impervious to water damage
in any situation."

So swimming and showering with the thing on is out for me. Another comment that should be made is that pressing the home button with the watch under water may cause problems. Lots of buttons will let water in if used under water.

Last edited:

DonShock

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Normal air pressure: 14.7 psi
Plane cabin air pressure: 11-12 psi (6000-8000 ft)
So the watch sees at least a 2.7 psi pressure difference while flying.
But the 1 meter water rating only causes a 1.422 psi pressure difference.
So flying is twice as bad as submerging when it comes to potential leakage, but as long as the only thing leaking past the seals is air then flying won't normally cause a problem. And the larger SIM card door on the Gear S (ATT version) makes it more susceptible to leakage because that pressure difference is across a larger area. That is likely why the problem became an issue with the Gear S when other wearables didn't have similar issues, easier to seal fewer and smaller openings in the case.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused, I have a flight next month. Are you guys saying I can NOT fly with my Gear S, should I turn it off or not fly with it at all?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry too much. I have flown couple times. Nothing bad happens. But I also won't wear my watch to shower or swim pool even without going through flying. That's not this watch rated for. It is rated for 1 meter (or 3 feet) still water which means if you accidentally drop it in 1 meter of water, if should be ok. If you swim or shower with running water, you are on your own.

The Gear Fit problem posted above is purely a coincidence because my wife's Gear Fit can do that just sitting in my house. It is a very buggy device (inline with Samsung's tradition).

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm confused, I have a flight next month. Are you guys saying I can NOT fly with my Gear S, should I turn it off or not fly with it at all?

What I am saying is that a flight is not going to ruin your water resistant smart watch, phone, or any watch that is water resistant.

DonShock

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
The problem described in the original post seems to have been a result of two things coming together, either of which likely would not cause a problem all on their own. No seal is perfect which is why there are always limitations.

When you are flying and air pressure changes, there will be slow leakage of "normal pressure" air out of the watch as the pressure inside the plane drops as it flies higher. This leakage of air stops once the pressure inside the watch drops enough to match the pressure inside the plane. Once the plane lands and normal (higher) pressure returns, air will slowly leak back into the watch until pressure matches again. But this shouldn't cause problems since it is just air.

Similarly, when the inside of the watch is already at normal air pressure the seals are sufficient to stop a small amount of water (1m depth for 30 minutes) from getting into the watch and causing damage.

The problem seems to have happened when both these things happened at the same time. After flying, the pressure inside the watch was low. Soon after, it was subjected to water immersion. So the watch was still trying to pull air in past the seals to get back to "normal" when it had the added pressure of being submerged. The lower air pressure inside and the higher water pressure outside combined to be more than the seals could handle to keep the water out.

Wait a while after landing for the air pressure to balance, and the water seal will likely work as designed. Another option would be to pop open the SIM card door to allow the pressure to balance instantly. Of course, there is always the possibility of not getting the door properly sealed every time you close it.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The bottom line is IP67 rating does not guarantee you can swim or shower with it. That's it. The fact you can do it a few times and get away with it just pure luck. Nothing else. I'm sure if Samsung design it for swimming or showering, it will use a better rating than IP67.

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Electronic device + water just don't go together for me but I've never been a dare devil ;)

Except when I did the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge with my S5 and challenged iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, and whatever other letter in the alphabet Apple wanted to use. Otherwise...no baths for my devices...

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry too much. I have flown couple times. Nothing bad happens. But I also won't wear my watch to shower or swim pool even without going through flying. That's not this watch rated for. It is rated for 1 meter (or 3 feet) still water which means if you accidentally drop it in 1 meter of water, if should be ok. If you swim or shower with running water, you are on your own.

The Gear Fit problem posted above is purely a coincidence because my wife's Gear Fit can do that just sitting in my house. It is a very buggy device (inline with Samsung's tradition).

It sounded like the guy was trying to blame the flight but he wasn't considering that it was the combination of BOTH the flight AND the swimming. So I do NOT shower with my Gear S AND I have no interest in swimming with it either. That being said, I only intend to fly with it, is it necessary to power it off or is turning on airplane mode good enough?

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It sounded like the guy was trying to blame the flight but he wasn't considering that it was the combination of BOTH the flight AND the swimming. So I do NOT shower with my Gear S AND I have no interest in swimming with it either. That being said, I only intend to fly with it, is it necessary to power it off or is turning on airplane mode good enough?

Airplane mode should do just fine. The worst that could happen would be the watch exploding while on your wrist. Chances are that would not happen unless you are doing a space walk on the International Space Station and for some odd reason experience explosive decompression, pretty slim chance.

InfamousUnknown

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Airplane mode should do just fine. The worst that could happen would be the watch exploding while on your wrist. Chances are that would not happen unless you are doing a space walk on the International Space Station and for some odd reason experience explosive decompression, pretty slim chance.

I could be wrong, but i suspect if I experience explosive decompression I will have bigger problems than my gear.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I used Airplane mode while in the air so that I can keep track of time and fitness stats. The watch uses very little power in this mode. There is no need to power it off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12