If I get one, I have to get it from my phone's carrier?

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
If I want to pair it up with my Verizon phone, I'd need to get one from Verizon, if I want to use it for calls, etc? Only thing I hate about that is that the AT+T version is 200 bucks, the Verizon, far more.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
If you want to use it standalone, that's best. Bluetooth or wifi, not required. I have an at&t S with a Sprint Note 4

Posted via the Android Central App

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Right, but if I want to be able to use it for calls, thus fullfilling a childhood dream of having a **** Tracy watch/wrist communicator, I'd need to drop 300+ on the Verizon version. Anyone know WHY the Verizon one is 100+ or more than the AT+T one?

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't think that is accurate. If you are buying outright it doesn't matter who you get it from. If you're going to connect it to a data plan and you're already with Verizon you'll save money in the long run because their data add on is cheaper than AT&T . I'm on AT&T for both phone and watch and my watch is $10 a month before my discount. That AT&T price you quote is if you sign a 2 year contract with it. You'll need a plan as well if you go that route, costing even more than my add on plan unless you move your phone over. It's cheaper in the long run to stay on Verizon and pay the extra up front.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
As posted above, you can buy one from any carrier (in US, that's your only option). But in order to use it stand alone, you will have to pay for the cost of additional line with voice, SMS and data. Each carrier has different options. But if you don't use Verizon, your best bet will be T-Mobile because it has the cheapest monthly charge for a new line.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Right, but if I want to be able to use it for calls, thus fullfilling a childhood dream of having a **** Tracy watch/wrist communicator, I'd need to drop 300+ on the Verizon version. Anyone know WHY the Verizon one is 100+ or more than the AT+T one?

Seems to me that we should be able to call the watch what it really is, it is a **** Tracy watch. I got my **** Tracy watch from Amazon with a AT&T plan attached($199). AT&T had a number and sim card installed before it arrived with free prime shipping on day two. Pulled it out of the box and was calling car 54 within 2 minutes.

Dick_tracy_watch.jpg

(darn it!)

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough, I'm still just not sure why the Verizon version is 100 bucks+ more than the AT+T version. Its all moot since Im probably not going to get one any time soon. Oh, for some disposable income. :(

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No, Verizon is CDMA carrier, so is Sprint, which means you can't bring anything to its network that does not have Verizon name on it.
Specifically for Gear S since it only supports dual-band, you must buy a North American versions of Gear S, or you will not be able to use with any carrier.

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
It is truly unfortunate if I am understanding the posts I am reading on a locked Gear S. I bought mine in Canada from Best Buy, Future Shop also sold them and Telus sells them...but they are all unlocked. Are most sold in the US locked?

Posted via the Android Central App using the Note 4

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It is truly unfortunate if I am understanding the posts I am reading on a locked Gear S. I bought mine in Canada from Best Buy, Future Shop also sold them and Telus sells them...but they are all unlocked. Are most sold in the US locked?

Posted via the Android Central App using the Note 4
They are all locked in US.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey, if it was 150 like I see online for AT+T, I wouldn't care as much. Just work a extra 15 hours or so over the next few weeks and I'd be sold. But 300+ on Verizon....OUCH!