Call Forwarding Question

Therealm80

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
When I disconnect my Gear S from my Note 4 call forwarding enables itself. My issue is when I get a call my phone rings for like 20 seconds and THEN it forwards the call to my Gear. How can I get it to just ring my gear and not my phone?
Thanks

superuser86

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
The technology works like this:
We pair our watches to our phone and enter the secondary phone number for call forwarding. When we walk away without our phone, we lose Bluetooth connection. We expect our phone to forward calls to our watch. Now its the loss of connection that sparks the question. Call forwarding is usually a manual thing. This tech relies on disconnection of Bluetooth to start the process. Firstly the phone needs to identify a few things. Did the user turn off the watch? Did the user walk away without their phone? If the watch was turned off, then that too means the Bluetooth connection is lost. But we wouldn't want the phone to start forwarding calls to a switched off device, would we? So the phone needs to check. That's why the watch, when a sim is inserted, need the data enabled. The phone remotely accesses the watch, via the internet, to check its still switched on. After the phone sees that the watch is in fact turned on, it will then change its call forwarding properties to forward calls. This takes a short time as well as relying on a reasonable network connection. That's perhaps why it can sometimes fail. If we turned our watch off, the phone wont be able to reach the watch and the phone won't change its call forwarding properties. I expect Samsung might try to solve the lag time in changing the call forwarding properties, but this does heavily rely on the network connection so it might be a tough one to solve completely

Posted via the Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Gear S uses conditional call forwarding, the same way as voice mail. So, it will always ring phone first and until certain preset time passed, controlled by your carrier, it will forward the call. This way you can pick up calls from either device. There is no way to change it.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think the only way to have your calls forwarded directly to your Gear is to do it from the call preference in your phone settings. Just as you would forward calls to any other phone.

Posted via the Android Central App