Corrosion problem on charging contact

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
So, same old corrosion problem here. Samsung Israel said the contacts corrosion is not under warranty. Referred them here, told them I'm not the only one with this problem, they said as long as Samsung does not declare this as a bug they will not fix it. They were willing to sell me a refurbished watch for ~$240... Didn't happen.

Due to the fact Samsung's warranty is useless I decided to fix it myself.
First I tried to re-solder the contacts (1), no success here.
I then opened the watch using a hot air blower (there are several video guides on YouTube).
I found out the contacts are part of a small PCB connected to the back side of the watch. I'd removed it (2) and went online to find a replacement (Search for "sm-r750 charging connector" on eBay).
I ended up ordering 2 PCBs for $6.74 each including shipping to Israel. (We know it will corrode again...)
It arrived today. As you can see, there's a small white plastic you need to peel off from the adhesive (3).
Peeled it off and put it in place (4+5).
Closed the watch and connected it to the charging cradle (6).
Success! It's alive!

View attachment 233618

You mentioned doing this with a hot air blower but try as I might, I cannot find a youtube vid showing how to do this. Can you post the link?

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Thank you!!!! I did see this video but since it's not in English I didn't realise a hot air blower was being used. Thanks again for linking it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon