I know some of use are late to the game but do you still use a screen protector?

Jasp615

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I know that the watch has been how for a bit now but some of use just purchased it so we have lots of questions. Are any of you still or has used a screen protector for their gear S? I love watches and have quit a few and I never worried about the crystal face scratching. I guess I just view this to be that of a watch. Do you think I/We should use screen protectors? If so which do you recommend?

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
The display on the Gear S is GG3, not GG4. My Note 4's GG4 and I haven't used a screen protector on it for the nine months I've owned it and (knock on wood) the display is blemish free. For the Gear, I've been using a screen protector on it since I got it. Here's why. There can't be a possibly worse or more exposed to damage location for a mobile device than one's wrist. Unlike my phone which is holstered or placed face up/down near me my Gear's subject to being smashed and scraped against things whether I'm doing something strenuous or non-strenuous. Here's how I know. My ArmorSuit protector is "self healing" meaning when it gets dented or scraped it reforms. At the end of the day the number of hits my Gear's display has taken that are waiting to heal is scary. I have no idea whether GG3 would have defended itself but I decided early on not to take a chance. YMMV.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
The display on the Gear S is GG3, not GG4. My Note 4's GG4 and I haven't used a screen protector on it for the nine months I've owned it and (knock on wood) the display is blemish free. For the Gear, I've been using a screen protector on it since I got it. Here's why. There can't be a possibly worse or more exposed to damage location for a mobile device than one's wrist. Unlike my phone which is holstered or placed face up/down near me my Gear's subject to being smashed and scraped against things whether I'm doing something strenuous or non-strenuous. Here's how I know. My ArmorSuit protector is "self healing" meaning when it gets dented or scraped it reforms. At the end of the day the number of hits my Gear's display has taken that are waiting to heal is scary. I have no idea whether GG3 would have defended itself but I decided early on not to take a chance. YMMV.
Pretty much spot on with why I use one. I've got some dings in my Armorsuit that are beyond self repair. I know it has a lifetime warranty but the shipping to do so was more than I got a new one for so I just bought a second one that I haven't put on yet. The gouges I the original can only be seen when the watch is asleep and even then look more like goo or something, which kinda blends in with my watch's almost always dirty screen. Only when it's clean and screen is off do they really stand out.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Deucesjack

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I've had the watch about 3 months. I am a bartender so I knock it around a lot and I have not one scratch on it. I rock it sans screen protector. Love this watch. I am willing to replace it with the Gear A but only if it has a sim card. I will never buy another smartwatch without the call forwarding feature.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have a Skinomi on my Gear S. It is very clear and has already saved my screen once when I smacked the watch into a wall. I had to replace the screen protector but the watch stayed scratch free.

from mobile

Jasp615

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered one. Will have it Wednesday. Thanks again. I use them on my phone but never thought about it for the watch. I just figured it was a watch.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I took the screen protector off after a week. Still looks new since last November.
Mine would probably also still be scratch free if it was naked but I am so used to the extra slight grip I actually prefer it to naked because it keeps me from over swiping when on the go and only half paying attention to my watch as I use it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
There isn't a glass in the world that is immune to sand or concrete. Bottom line for me is, would I regret not using one if I got a scratch… hell yes. It's kind of like a condom… no one wants to use it, until they wish they had.

Posted via the Android Central App

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Never used one no scratches or dings. Saw a Samsung video that says you shouldn't use one but I can't remember the reason.

Wish they made phone screens so damage proof.

Jasp615

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm a big Tag Heuer fan and have several, I never scratched a face yet and I wore them all the time, even on the beach and even swam with them. I guess I just thought of it as a watch.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm a big Tag Heuer fan and have several, I never scratched a face yet and I wore them all the time, even on the beach and even swam with them. I guess I just thought of it as a watch.

Tag Heuer has been making quality watches for a long time though.

Sent from Elegance

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Never understand point of screen protector: you want to protect your screen so that it may look good when you take the protector off when it died by making is look really bad with it on rest of the time?

I have never scratched any of my cell phones without any case or screen protector for last decade or so ever since Gorilla Glass is widely used. I wore my Gear S everyday since Nov. 7 2014, the day AT&T released it. Not a scratch.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Never understand point of screen protector: you want to protect your screen so that it may look good when you take the protector off when it died by making is look really bad with it on rest of the time?

I have never scratched any of my cell phones without any case or screen protector for last decade or so ever since Gorilla Glass is widely used. I wore my Gear S everyday since Nov. 7 2014, the day AT&T released it. Not a scratch.
A well-installed good screen protector doesn't make your device look bad at all, IMO. They do protect from scratches and can protect from damage that would otherwise blemish a screen.

from the Elegance

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Working outside, landscaping, my screen protector is trashed!
I will have to always use one.
Just walking and bumping into a corner has left paint behind on the screen protector.
Maybe I am more clumsy that way. And dirty, very very dirty!

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Working outside, landscaping, my screen protector is trashed!
I will have to always use one.
Just walking and bumping into a corner has left paint behind on the screen protector.
Maybe I am more clumsy that way. And dirty, very very dirty!
I thought I was the only one that got paint behind it from bumping/crashing into stuff. Seriously.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

briankstan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
well I read about how durable the screen was so I opted to not get a screen protector. I now have a few scratches and should have thought better of it and just put one one. they aren't super noticeable but they are there and a SP would have prevented them. it's too late for mine, but if you're considering one, than I'd just get it.