Will turning the Gear S on and off often cause any damage?

rangin

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello. Since I don't use the Gear S everyday, after I use it I usually charge it to 100% and turn it off (or turn it off first and then charge it until 100%). This is to avoid battery drain during the night or days that I don't need it. I leave it off and then if I'm going to use it that day, I turn it on during the morning and repeat at night when I come back home. Will turning it off every time I stop using it cause any damage to the watch or is what I am doing fine?

Thanks

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
First off, I'm not a pro when it comes to smart watches. However I would say your biggest risk would be to possibly wear out the power button prematurely, but even so - the membrane style buttons used in smartphones and smart watches are pretty durable and designed to withstand many button presses per day, spread over several hundred days...

So... all in all I wouldn't worry about it too much!!

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
First off, I'm not a pro when it comes to smart watches. However I would say your biggest risk would be to possibly wear out the power button prematurely, but even so - the membrane style buttons used in smartphones and smart watches are pretty durable and designed to withstand many button presses per day, spread over several hundred days...

So... all in all I wouldn't worry about it too much!!
Think of it as a VERY small flat screen tv. The newer electronic tv's, ones without the tube, can be powered on/off thousands of times without harm.
Leaving it on on charger is fine BUT I would suggest not put it on the charger if the battery status is above 85% when you want to. That can cause harm to the longevity of the battery itself and try not to let it get below 10% for the same reason. It'll take the long term battery health from being very good for a ~ thousand charge cycles down to as little as 500. It's still a lot either way.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4