Need help finding a BT ear device for Gear S and Note 4

Jasp615

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I am looking for a BT ear device to use when I'm out that is really just for calls. I don't want the gear circle right now because I would rather just have an ear piece to take calls that isn't something hanging around my neck. I want something that will pair with the Note 4 and the Gear S so if I leave my phone at home I can still take calls. Is the Gear circle the only choice right now? Is there something out there that if I do have my phone in my purse and wear the gear it will work talking calls on either one? I was looking at the Motorola H720/30 but I don't think this will work and I really don't know what I'm looking for as for compatibility. I'm also leaning towards Plantronics Voyager Edge which might be what I'm looking for. Has anyone used any of the ones I'm looking for?

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Nothing beats the Gear Circle. Being a "Gear" device it's managed through Gear Manager and offers a bunch of options for managing a world involving a phone and wearable that play off of each other (EG: remote call forwarding).

Here are some features...

19129100054_d0197d6fb6.jpg

19751665465_48787fbb5f.jpg

19756311631_e9059fa9cc.jpg

Some folks have complained about the ear buds not staying in their ears; especially during sports. I haven't had any issues really. The sound quality is very good and the Circle is an excellent hands-free device for loud and clear voice calls. Like someone said, there's a ton of choices so you should probably think about your personal priorities and choose accordingly.

Deucesjack

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Ditto on the gear circle. Works beautifully with the Note 4 and Gear S. It also has the capacity to pair with both of them at once. You can grab one on ebay for under $30 and they sound great!

Jasp615

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at the Gear Circle and will get one to listen to music and for when I'm trail running. What I want for when I'm going out is something that I don't have to have hanging around my neck. I'm leaning towards the Plantronics Voyager Edge this to said it would pair to 2 devices at the same time and if I want can listen to music also. Not cheap but may be what I'm looking for. Has anyone checked into this?

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Any BT device that allow pairing with more than one phone should work.
Add to that any with music protocol built in (a2dp) will also play music from the watch or phone.
I currently have a Moto Whisper, Jawbone Icon, Jawbone Era, Plantronics Voyager Pro, Plantronics 925, Jabra Motion (my favorite) mono earpieces paired to my Note4 and S. I also have a Jaybird (don't remember the model) ,LG Tones+, Rocketfish (don't remember the model number), Jabra 920s and Gear Circles stereo headsets paired to both.
Yes I'm a Bluetooth junky.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I was looking at the Gear Circle and will get one to listen to music and for when I'm trail running. What I want for when I'm going out is something that I don't have to have hanging around my neck. I'm leaning towards the Plantronics Voyager Edge this to said it would pair to 2 devices at the same time and if I want can listen to music also. Not cheap but may be what I'm looking for. Has anyone checked into this?
I'm not a big fan of Plantronics because of how long it takes from pushing the answer button to the time when it actually starts the call being connected. It's a gripe of mine they've had for as long as they've been making earpieces. The Motos you mentioned previously connect much faster but sound kinda cheap and tinny.
If you're buying online might I suggest Amazon used section? Tap(click if on a desktop/laptop) on a model you're interested in, tap(click) lower lower priced , scroll down the choices. Most times you'll see the only thing is damaged packaging (still new but blemishes on box) and can be as little as half price. I've used it many times and the descriptions are always spot on. They still have the same Amazon satisfaction warranty and manufacturers warranty is the same as well.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jasp615

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! You're a gem. I'm an Amazon Prime member so I will give it a shot. My head is spinning trying to research all this info and keep two business running it their busy time. I need something that will connect to either my watch or phone (***** proof) so I can be reached at all times. This is one of the reason I purchased the watch to begin with. I was missing calls when I was out of the house or even in the next room. If I have the watch on I can't miss a call but it was on speaker and that's OK if I'm by myself not good if I'm out. I'm going to look at the ones you mentioned.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! Your a gem. I'm an Amazon Prime member so I will give it a shot. My head is spinning trying to research all this info and keep two business running it their busy time. I need something that will connect to either my watch or phone (***** proof) so I can be reached at all times. This is one of the reason I purchased the watch to begin with. I was missing calls when I was out of the house or even in the next room. If I have the watch on I can't miss a call but it was on speaker and that's OK if I'm by myself not good if I'm out. I'm going to look at the ones you mentioned.
I got Era ($50), Icon ($35), Whisper($48) and Motion($37) "used", the prices were Prime shipped. The Whisper battery lasts the longest, the Icon is the most discreet and the Motion sounds the best and is most comfortable to me. The Plantronics Voyager blocks wind the best but doesn't play music and its battery life has always been disappointing to go with its seemingly forever connect time. The Whisper and Motion are tied for connect time, both blink of an eye fast . The Motion has a doo dad in it that if it's on a table it something and the phone starts ringing, picking it up answers the call. Some kind of motion sensor .
My favorite is the Motion because I prefer the design and fit above the Whisper. The Icon is used only now in extremely loud environments because the Noise Assassin is amazing in factory type situations and the one I got "used" recently was to replace one I'd had for years, thus why I went used with it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jasp615

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I checked into all that were suggested to me and the one that seemed to meet all my wants and needs was the Plantronics Voyager Edge. I'm not a big BT junkie so maybe my needs/wants are simple. The headset was comfortable to me. I like the case that I can attach to my key ring in my purse for easy access. I like that the case can also store a charge. I like the motion feature, I can listen to music and the party on the other end can hear me clearly even in noisy and windy conditions. I'm still learning and getting use to the BT so the delayed answering isn't an issue for me yet since half the time it takes me that long to figure it out...lol As I learn and get the hang of using it my needs may change. Thank you for all your info and opinions on different devices.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I checked into all that were suggested to me and the one that seemed to meet all my wants and needs was the Plantronics Voyager Edge. I'm not a big BT junkie so maybe my needs/wants are simple. The headset was comfortable to me. I like the case that I can attach to my key ring in my purse for easy access. I like that the case can also store a charge. I like the motion feature, I can listen to music and the party on the other end can hear me clearly even in noisy and windy conditions. I'm still learning and getting use to the BT so the delayed answering isn't an issue for me yet since half the time it takes me that long to figure it out...lol As I learn and get the hang of using it my needs may change. Thank you for all your info and opinions on different devices.
I always say the one you prefer, no matter the reason, is the best one to get.
Glad you're liking the Voyager Edge

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Nothing beats the Gear Circle. Being a "Gear" device it's managed through Gear Manager and offers a bunch of options for managing a world involving a phone and wearable that play off of each other (EG: remote call forwarding).

Here are some features...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/514/19129100054_d0197d6fb6.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/480/19751665465_48787fbb5f.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/469/19756311631_e9059fa9cc.jpg

Some folks have complained about the ear buds not staying in their ears; especially during sports. I haven't had any issues really. The sound quality is very good and the Circle is an excellent hands-free device for loud and clear voice calls. Like someone said, there's a ton of choices so you should probably think about your personal priorities and choose accordingly.

How do you pair it to the watch? I can't get mine to pair. I have a Note Edge & my watch has a SIM card.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
How do you pair it to the watch? I can't get mine to pair. I have a Note Edge & my watch has a SIM card.
This works for the the Circle and any other Bluetooth earpiece or headset
Put the earpiece/headset in pairing mode.
Open settings on the watch.
Go to connections and tap it
8d3612e75cc25662c13997ef3c164fcf.jpg

Tap Bluetooth
7214d90166d1e6a2777d9e103dd900bf.jpg

Tap BT headset.
748e67ae78a289624261ebe083e1958d.jpg

When the Circle, or other, show up tap their name. The watch connects it.
be895e1664eed445a3d4faec78dc2672.jpg

The Circle doesn't use the Gear app when being used by the watch alone. It works like any other stereo headset.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
This works for the the Circle and any other Bluetooth earpiece or headset
Put the earpiece/headset in pairing mode.
Open settings on the watch.
Go to connections and tap it//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/18/8d3612e75cc25662c13997ef3c164fcf.jpg
Tap Bluetooth
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/18/7214d90166d1e6a2777d9e103dd900bf.jpg
Tap BT headset.
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/18/748e67ae78a289624261ebe083e1958d.jpg
When the Circle, or other, show up tap their name. The watch connects it.
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/18/be895e1664eed445a3d4faec78dc2672.jpg
The Circle doesn't use the Gear app when being used by the watch alone. It works like any other stereo headset.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Yes I've tried this. I have other BT earpiece paired with my watch. My issue with the circle is scanning does not bring the circle up at all like other BT devices.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Yes I've tried this. I have other BT earpiece paired with my watch. My issue with the circle is scanning does not bring the circle up at all like other BT devices.
That's strange. Have you tried power Circles back off and start over? Have you tried unpair Circles from the phone and pair to watch first? I've had to do both at different times after a factory reset of my watch, with the Circles and others.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

joshica

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the new Jawbone ERA and I love it! Pairs to two devices at once and very small but comfortable. I have a black and bronze one. Love the fact that you don't need an ear hook either.

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
That's strange. Have you tried power Circles back off and start over? Have you tried unpair Circles from the phone and pair to watch first? I've had to do both at different times after a factory reset of my watch, with the Circles and others.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Yes I did. I even took it back to store & got another one but this circle does the same.