Just watched the 2 hour "Training Video" on the Gear S2 - Top 20 Things I Learned Today

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Today there was a Samsung Gear S2 Training video of sorts posted online which has since been taken down from YouTube. In it they go over features of the Gear S2 and release dates, etc. The meeting was lighthearted but informative and they were being brutally honest at times about things which was refreshing to see. Here's a few "wait, really?" things I picked up and some still yet unanswered questions...

1) The Bluetooth Version will be released in the US on October 2nd and the 3G version will be released on November 6th.

2) The 3G version will initially be only available on Verizon, At&t, US Cellular, and T-Mobile. Not Sprint...at least not right away.

3) They went over IP68 and while it's definitely the highest rating among all smart watches for water resistance, they still don't "recommend" it's used deeper than 1.5 m and the rating doesn't necessarily apply to salt water or when swimming where your arm is paddling heavily through the water which creates more "pressure" on the watch. It's strong for sure, above all others, but don't go diving with it or anything. They were being honest about the rating which was refreshing but sorta "woah really?" if you know what I mean.

4) Straps on the non-classic version are through samsung only. Classic version can use any standard watch strap from 3rd parties.

5) They started working on the round bezel smart watch in 2012. Crazy when you think about the whole timeline of how long these things take and when other watches were released.

6) The feature that works with cars looks awesome (BMW/Volkswagon) but might not be operational until 2017 because there's lots of things to work out on both Samsung's side AND the car manufacturer's side.

7) It sounds like the speakerphone feature will only be on the 3G version. This was a bit confusing to me since bluetooth versions of their current smart watches have speakerphones that work great with phones. For example, my Gear 2 Neo can answer calls and the speakerphone on the watch is GREAT! I use it WAY more than I thought I would to answer calls. All versions of Gear S2 have mics for SVoice, but unless I heard wrong (and they mentioned it a few times) only the 3G version will have the speakerphone. Sucks. You'll still be able to answer/reject calls on ALL versions but the non-3G versions will simply open the call on the phone.

8) Their custom watch faces look great and are very much customizable. If you combine all the custom designs you can make with the 26 faces, you end up with around 6000 possible variations. Nice start.

9) The wireless charger has a magnet in it which sorta suctions the watch into place so it's always a nice clean connection. Nice! You can't use current charging pads with the watch because the underside of the watch is curved. It takes about 2.5 hours to charge from 0% to 100% and it'll last 2-3 days and 4-5 days if you run it on powersaving mode which makes things black and white and reduces resolution. I believe the battery thing as my Neo running Tizen lasts 2-3 days.

10) With messages, you can see the whole back and forth history which is a nice change from my current Gear 2 Neo which shows each individual message separately instead of in conversation view.

11) I think they said each watch comes with the larger band attached and a 2nd smaller (women's?) band in box as well.

12) You can easily use any picture on your phone as watch background. The user interface of the watch was really smooth as they navigated through it.

13) There will be a "buddy" option where you can add your top 11 contacts for quick access to contact them, etc.

14) With the two buttons which they said they debated leaving off the watch but ultimately added it in (why not I guess, can't hurt) I wondered how left handed people like myself would fare since we wear watches on our right hand.

15) They said they improved the accuracy of S-Voice "very much". However, the one time they were doing stuff with the watched and they used S-Voice it looked about as slow as before and got only the first two of the 3 words he said. They played it off well but I was like "bummer, it still stinks compared to Google Voice!" Maybe it'll be better when the production versions come out but I'm no longer holding my breath on this.

16) Someone asked if the accuracy of the health tracking features like "Steps" has improved and they sorta brushed it off saying "samsung is the best at this way of tracking things" and they are always "improving things" and learning from customers, blah, blah, blah. Hope they're right.

17) Again I'll say the way the bezel works and the way the user interface looks is SOOO much better than any other watch I've seen out there and especially better than the current Tizen on my Gear 2 Neo. It was smooth and intuitive throughout. I believe that the bezel will eventually be the "norm". Just my opinion though.

18) They are using Gorilla Glass 3 instead of 4 because version 3 is better with scratches.

19) The guy brought up the keyboard but even he had a hard time typing on it and eventually laughed and said "maybe just use S-Voice". While he was lighthearted and saying it sort of as a joke, it led to one person asking if 3rd party keyboards can be used within the messaging app, and he said no. Bummer if that's true. Just like bummer if Google Voice can't be swapped in for S-Voice.

20) Samsung Pay will work only in US at first and will work when the watches are released. The NFC is located at the top of the watch (so you know how to angle your hand when tapping it to the NFC reader.

21) They were able to make a battery for this watch that was not totally square which is why they could squeeze more of it inside and make the watch not so huge and still have a good size battery. They're working on an even more round battery for the future which will allow them to make it even bigger size and thus last longer, etc.

22) The e-SIM in the 3G version cannot be taken out and cannot be used on more than one carrier. It's locked into the carrier it's made for.

That's all I can remember. Which is kind of a lot for only watching it once. But now that it's down and no longer available I figured I'd let others know what I saw. Looks like a great watch. Still have lots of unanswered questions but I guess I'll find out in October! :)

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Just watched the 2 hour "Training Video" on the Gear S2 - Top 20 Things I Learned Today

Big thanks. It sounds great, and looks great in pics too. Looking forward to seeing one in person. I'm so glad they kept the 2 buttons, i find 3 buttons on my Pebble very useful and was hoping someone would finally do more than 1 button. : ). Much more efficient.

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Just watched the 2 hour "Training Video" on the Gear S2 - Top 20 Things I Learned Today

Thank you for posting these details!! I'll be getting the 3g version for sure!

Posted via the Android Central App

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pricing

Super thanks for posting all the info.........Definitely upgrading my gear S to the S2 3G version. Looks amazing, both inside and out

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Reallly starting to look forward to this, but don't think I'll be getting a 3G version.
I am curious, why not? I would think most would opt for the 3G version that makes this device unique, otherwise there are several other round smartwatch makers with arguably better OS, Android Wear.

alex346

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

I agree with the above posters point that the 3G makes it unique as the only other option out there that I know of would be the Gear S... but, I cant agree on your second point. Not everyone thinks android wear is a better OS, I've owned both AW (moto 360) and Samsung Watches (neo and gear S) and would have to say that at the moment I much prefer Samsung's OS on there smart watches. Of course that's totally just my preference I do realize there are many people who will be on the AW side.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Not only that, it looks like Samsung has made some interesting UI optimizations with the bezel and round face (from what I've seen so far). Opening this platform to other non-Samsung phones might entice devs to start writing for the tizen platform, which would give AW some competition and drive Google to continue innovating. I almost switched to AW when the Urbane came out - even more so when the prices started to drop - but when the round S2 was announced I decided to wait. I want a 3G watch for running when I don't have my phone.

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site

I currently have a moto 360. Great watch. I love it, just want something new.
I'd probably just go for the Wi-Fi version based on when it comes out, the cost and the fact that I'd have to add ANOTHER device to my plan through Verizon. I currently have my Note 5 and an iPad mini 3 on my account. I don't see any reason to add another device. Plus I'm not sure what real advantages I'd have over a WiFi version.

FST MRFR

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

I'd probably just go for the Wi-Fi version based on when it comes out, the cost and the fact that I'd have to add ANOTHER device to my plan through Verizon. I currently have my Note 5 and an iPad mini 3 on my account. I don't see any reason to add another device. Plus I'm not sure what real advantages I'd have over a WiFi version.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but... the 3G service is for the use of an existing line (just uses same line with 2 devices), not an additional.. please correct me if I am wrong... but as mcgeorge36 mentioned above it means an additional line... now it has me thinking differently.. please excuse my ignorance and clarify this for me and other users

FST MRFR

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

Looks like a great watch. Still have lots of unanswered questions but I guess I'll find out in October! :)

SMD- that's more info I have gotten after researching this for over a month! ... waiting and waiting for more info, cost, release dates, features, etc.... why does the classic not have the 3G service? Does the 3G service require an additional line or does it run off of an existing (like 2 devices on one line?) sort of confused on that one...

I really wanted to say thank you for the good read and the information you put out!!!! ... although I am little bit behind in finding this forum with the information, I am truly glad I did! I cannot wait for the release of this! super excited!

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site

Maybe I'm the one who is wrong, but if you're using 3G service, it has to be with a carrier. Which means the carrier is going to charge you for the line access and the data used by that device. Which means either sharing your data plan more and more money ($10 or $20 or whatever, depending on your carrier) for the line access. I think I pay $10 with Verizon per device, not sure.

FST MRFR

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

Maybe I'm the one who is wrong, but if you're using 3G service, it has to be with a carrier. Which means the carrier is going to charge you for the line access and the data used by that device. Which means either sharing your data plan more and more money ($10 or $20 or whatever, depending on your carrier) for the line access. I think I pay $10 with Verizon per device, not sure.

I don't have the true answer to this, but this is what I have seen for advertising for carriers (not all will be the same) ... a $5 charge to use the watch on an existing account to share data after you use the 500MB data plan for the 3G service watch (does not include unlimited music streaming from MILK) and 3G watch will not have its own service/data plan ... but from the way I gather this, its just a $5 charge to use on your existing data plan, and it adds 500mb for the watch data usage and will not be charged extra for overage, it will use your existing data from your phones plan... now, I may be wrong, but that is how I have interpreted this...

anyone have any other info???

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure about the 3G plan/line question either. Advantages of the 3G version appear to be the addition of GPS, you can use it as a standalone device and leave your phone at home or away from you or whatever, and also it appears the 3G version is the only one with a speakerphone on it to answer calls. This threw me because even my current Gear 2 Neo which isn't 3G and doesn't even have wifi, can still answer calls with my phone in range and the speakerphone is awesome. I do this FAR more than I thought I ever would when I got this watch. In fact, after about one full year with this, I use it way differently than I thought I would when I got it and the answer calls feature (with speakerphone) is one of my top 3 "must haves" for my next watch. I've never made an outgoing call with it, but I've answered MANY calls with it and you DON'T need to hold it up to your mouth or anything like that, just use it as you would a normal speakerphone. Anyway, apparently the bluetooth versions don't have this option which is backwards to me and was the biggest surprise when I watched that video I wrote about in this post. Wasn't expecting that limitation and now all of a sudden I'm looking more at the 3G. Bummer that it doesn't have the classic version in 3G. Even for $450, I'd possibly go for that because I like the look of the classic.

I'm thinking a good resource for the questions about 3G and additional line would be Galaxy Gear S owners since that is the 3G original. Pretty sure it comes with an entirely different phone number for the watch alone too but I might be wrong. How the interaction works with your current phone and then separately leaves me with more questions than answers at the moment. I'm guessing the Gear S forum would be a good place to ask and then feel free to report back here.

Livett

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site

Nice one cheers SMD. BTW, it's supposed to be out next week isn't it for you US folk, shouldn't places I've android central, Engadget etc be having review units yet, or is it too early?

Posted via the Android Central App

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I would hope so. Although the 3G version isn't due out here in the US until early November. But hopefully we'll see some meaningful detailed reviews coming out in the next week or so.

StayFly

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

if i can't answer calls with the classic i'm not buy it. the regular gear s2 is ugly and i'm assuming would be the 3g version as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX