Why would you buy this watch if core Google apps aren't compatible

bsu11a

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Just curious about why someone would want to own this device (as good as it's supposed to be) without apps like Google Maps, Gmail, Hangouts/Messaging, etc..

Are folks invested in the Samsung offering of competing products to the core group of Google apps?

bsu11a

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Not all of us use Google core apps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

And I totally respect that. Wondering if you are in the minority or majority which would ultimately have an impact on the success or failure of this device I would think.

L_E_O

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I think there will be some impact, but I think for most, Tizen is capable enough and has enough apps to replicate the value people see in smart watches. At the end of day, it's mostly about notification triage, fitness tracking and maybe some voice interaction. Throw in the design of the Gear S2 and what most folks are saying is the ingenious UI, and it's enough for me to give it a go.

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Just curious about why someone would want to own this device (as good as it's supposed to be) without apps like Google Maps, Gmail, Hangouts/Messaging, etc..

Are folks invested in the Samsung offering of competing products to the core group of Google apps?

I just picked mine up and I am a little concerned about the lack of google apps as well. I use messenger and it is not supported for example.

As for maps, music, etc. I use non google apps so I don't think those will be the issue. It is a nice interface for sure.. Jury is still out for me.

winpeguy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Google will not develop compatible apps for Tizen. At most you can get notifications, but you can't reply or do anything else other than "Open on Phone"

Camaihofer

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Didn't know couldn't run Google app... I have note 5, so was interested in this. .but may have to reconsider

Posted via the Android Central App

L_E_O

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
We probably need to clarify what we mean by "compatible". No you can't run Android Wear apps on this watch, but it seems like some of the native Google apps interact just fine. I think what will really drive this is how dynamic the notifications are. Tizen seems to be able to handle at least some of the options present on the notification.

For example, I use Hangouts as my default text app. My wife just sent me an SMS, and the notification popped up on the S2. I tapped the little menu on the screen, and I had an option to 'Reply'. Tapping that brought up a list of quick replies very similar to what's available on Wear devices. I tapped 'OK' as a reply, and it confirmed the SMS was sent.

When I got an Inbox (Gmail) notification, the only option I had available to me is "Mark Read". Seems like it's driven more by the app itself and the notifications it pushes to the watch than it is by Tizen compatibility.

srz1977

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
When I got an Inbox (Gmail) notification, the only option I had available to me is "Mark Read". Seems like it's driven more by the app itself and the notifications it pushes to the watch than it is by Tizen compatibility.

Are you able to at least read Gmail mail on the S2? I don't really care about replying to things on the watch.

L_E_O

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Are you able to at least read Gmail mail on the S2? I don't really care about replying to things on the watch.
You can. The whole thing actually if you're using the Gmail app. I use the Inbox app, and unfortunately, you only get the first few lines and the option to mark the email read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm still messing around with it but I think you can use gmail on your phone and get the notifications on the Gear S2. However you can also have your account info in Samsung's e-mail app and just turn off phone notifications. This way you get the notification from Gmail on you S2 but if you want to fully go into an e-mail app you can just bring up Samsung E-mail on your Gear S2.

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I use Inbox and was able to see the contents completely...even mark as done. I use Hangouts, the default SMS on my Note 5, and even Play Music worked. The only thing that doesn't is Google Maps...which was expected. Not really of fan of Here, but at least there's something. Plus, I didn't use my Moto 360 for navigation. All in all, the S2 works the same for me, as my Moto 360 did. One more thing, S-voice is no Google Now, but I rarely used GN on my Moto 360, so I'm not missing much there either.

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I use Messenger and have no problem receiving texts or replying with pre written messages, emojis or using the keyboard.

scoty024

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I believe that installing the Android Wear app allows the S2 the ability to perform the appropriate notification actions for most Google Apps (I've confirmed that it allows replies to Hangouts where the reply wasn't an option before installing AW). You never have to open AW though. I installed it and immediately hid it, but can reply using the s2 now.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Messenger works just fine. Incorrect to say not supported. Also make sure you are aware of the three dots (menu) option on screen. Gives you more options.

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe that installing the Android Wear app allows the S2 the ability to perform the appropriate notification actions for most Google Apps (I've confirmed that it allows replies to Hangouts where the reply wasn't an option before installing AW). You never have to open AW though. I installed it and immediately hid it, but can reply using the s2 now.

Are you sure? I've removed all traces of AW apps from my Note 5 and I don't have any issues responding on Hangouts or other apps that I would reply in.

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine Friday but after finding out through reviews and specs, it will not run my must have app watchmaker and thus returned yesterday and got Huawei watch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995