Samsung Gear S2 First Impressions

winpeguy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
The Back Button
Pure genius. I use this more than the rotating bezel (which I am not using that much anymore because touch and swipe is much easier).

Wireless Charging
Its official, the S2 does not use Qi. In order to lay the S2 on a Qi Wireless Charger, I had to remove the bands. This is the only way to have it lay flat. Trying on a Nokia, Samsung, and Tylt Qi Wireless Chargers had no effect. Guess I'll have to order a second Wireless Charger for the Car or Office (not sure which).

Sleep Tracking
As someone else mentioned, it does not work automatically, nor is there a way to start Sleep Tracking on the S2 (like the Gear Fit). As I do have a Gear Fit as well, I was able to put my S2 on the charger for the night and switch to my Gear Fit to monitor my sleep. I do see that Partner App "Sleep as Android" works, so I will see if this can be used to talk to my S2, otherwise I may be at two devices, while not ideal, it does allow me to charge my S2 at night if I use a secondary device.

kodos

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
One of my favorite things I discovered on Saturday: was to turn on Notifications for the Google App. Now I get notifications from the Google App such as "time to leave to make it for Appointment XYZ", or my Traffic alerts, etc. Really handy!

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
My weather definitely seems to be updated, even if I haven't been into the weather app for 12 hours (have set to update every hour).

I am noticing pedometer not updating (often) for short walks to and from in my house. Overall, I think my daily step is about 60% past weekend on my S2 compared to the weekend prior using my Gear Live, with very similar activity levels both weekends.

Overall, I think Samsung has done really good work with the S2, but it appears sw tweaks are going to be necessary.

My weather is definitely not updating. It said 55 on my watch face (Modern Utility) and 56 on the widget. Both have said that for the past 5 hours. I opened up the weather app on the watch and after about 5-7 seconds of spinning it jumped to 59. The location changed also. Now the watch face and the widget both say 59. I confirmed that the setting in Gear manager is set to update every hour.

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed that my pedometer doesn't update when I'm looking at it. I wonder if it has to do with the motion of the arms swinging to calculate a step. With my phone it will typically be in my pocket so it registers every movement in my leg. Perhaps I walk with my arms a little too straight for it to calculate every step.

It is a good point about future software updates but truthfully with only a 15 day return window I don't know that I'd be comfortable just hoping that Samsung fixes some of these issues. Pretty unacceptable not to get the step count right.

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
The one thing that I'd say about waiting for future updates to fix things is that this isn't really a first gen product like my original Zenwatch was. Samsung has released more wearables than any other android oem and tizen has been around longer than AW so I can't give them a pass in that regard. And I can't hope for the future since at least in phones Samsung isn't the quickest with regards to updates.

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
That's my issue as well, I have only two weeks to decide whether I should keep this watch, and I'm really torn.

I came from the Gear S and I actually missed it today --- I'm a Samsung girl but I think I'll take a look at Best Buy tomorrow and take a look at the new Moto and Huawei.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I also noticed that my pedometer doesn't update when I'm looking at it. I wonder if it has to do with the motion of the arms swinging to calculate a step. With my phone it will typically be in my pocket so it registers every movement in my leg. Perhaps I walk with my arms a little too straight for it to calculate every step.

It is a good point about future software updates but truthfully with only a 15 day return window I don't know that I'd be comfortable just hoping that Samsung fixes some of these issues. Pretty unacceptable not to get the step count right.

As I posted in other threads when I'm on the treadmill it doesn't record distance, calories burned, steps, but when I'm walking or running normally outside it records everything just fine. I think it's because on the treadmill just my legs are moving.

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
As I posted in other threads when I'm on the treadmill it doesn't record distance, calories burned, steps, but when I'm walking or running normally outside it records everything just fine. I think it's because on the treadmill just my legs are moving.
Have you tried starting a workout from the S Health app on the watch and tagging it as running or walking? When I had mine I did it and it would estimate distance and speed. The speed estimate was a little higher than the treadmill but not by much.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Update --- couldn't get the 'plastic Swatch watch' feeling out of my head.

Traded it in for a Moto 360 today at Best Buy. I'm going to miss that bezel but hopefully I'll find the moto 360 to be what I'm looking for.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Update --- couldn't get the 'plastic Swatch watch' feeling out of my head.

Traded it in for a Moto 360 today at Best Buy. I'm going to miss that bezel but hopefully I'll find the moto 360 to be what I'm looking for.

I'll be curious what you decide on the Moto coming from the S2. I'm going the other direction; I've had the original Moto for a while now, and just got the 2nd gen Moto, and I think it's amazing. I got the Gear S2 for something different, and I'm really torn on whether I want to keep it or not. Some things are great, some are terrible...

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Played with an S2 today. Put it down, walked out without looking back. Definitely not what I'm looking for, looks and feels like a toy. The Moto 360 2 looked ok, but is too thick and fragile looking. I just wouldn't want to wear it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I'll be curious what you decide on the Moto coming from the S2. I'm going the other direction; I've had the original Moto for a while now, and just got the 2nd gen Moto, and I think it's amazing. I got the Gear S2 for something different, and I'm really torn on whether I want to keep it or not. Some things are great, some are terrible...

Comparing the two I think the Gear s2 has better response to the screen and easier to navigate compared to the moto 360 2. The moto to me seemed a bit lagging and the screen doesn't seem very responsive. Granted I don't expect it to be like a smartphone.

Huawei, Gear S2, Moto 360 2, Apple watch etc to me are still WAY overprice. For the entry level moto 360, Gear s2, Huawei I'd be willing to spend $200 maybe on them but $300 for a moto or the S2 and even more for Huawei I just think is too much money for what you're getting. I can't see how some people spend hundreds more on Apple's watch. These are nowhere near as functional as phones.

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
My issue is that I just don't know that I will use it that much. I always have my phone near me and it crushes my cell battery having Bluetooth on all day.

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to reply to text messages via the S2? Mine just says to see phone. Not even generic replies available. I'm using Verizon messages as my message app

winpeguy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to reply to text messages via the S2? Mine just says to see phone. Not even generic replies available. I'm using Verizon messages as my message app

Try a different messaging App

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar