First exercise with Gear S2 - Not so great

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I did my first jogging session with my Gear S2 this morning and it wasn't such a great experience. I ran on my treadmill in the basement. I did not wear my Polar watch and HRM to compare (I will next time). I mixed up jogging and walking so I could observe the changes in my heart rate as determined by the Gear. I used S-Health for the session and left the app on the whole time. Below are some observations.

Heart Rate - This was pretty disappointing. While not recently in the past I have often run with my polar so I have a pretty good idea what my heart rate is for different levels on intensity. For the first 5-7 minutes of jogging the Gear was very low. It had me around 135-140 when I know it should have been closer to 155-160. I tightened up the band and within 2-3 minutes it was up to 175 when it at most would have been 163. One big thing I noticed is that it appears the Gear only measures heart rate while the screen is on. This was very obvious after I switched from running to walking. After walking for about 3 minutes I looked at my Gear and it said my heart rate was 173. This was right after my treadmill handlebars said it was 136. I kept the screen on which wasn't easy (see next section) and watched the heart rate drop.

Screen - The up and down motions of my arms while running played havoc with the screen on sensor. I would often notice when not looking at my arm through the corner of my eye that the screen was on. When I would bring it to my eye to look at it would switch on but immediately dim to off (I do have the always on hands only so those appeared). The movement of my body made the watch think that I had moved my arm down and I had to try very hard to not move my right arm when looking at it to keep the screen on. This was very difficult with the bouncing of the body of each stride.

S-Voice - This plagued the run during the first half but only happened once during the second half. When I would look at my wrist the S-Voice screen was on. My only guess is that something triggered the voice command (though I never said anything close to "Hey Gear"). It was very frustrating to have to cancel out of S-Voice every time I wanted to see my heart rate.

Battery - I didn't check right before and after the run but I took my Gear off the charger at 7:10am at 100%. I checked it after I showered and wrote this review at around 8:50am and it was at 77%. I'm guessing the constant motions of the screen turning on and off really used a ton of battery. I just discovered that you can turn off the wake up gesture. I'm going to try that for a while as I think it would have helped the issue of not being able to get a good look at the Gear. In addition to not turning the screen on it also doesn't turn it off and leaves it on for the full 7 seconds.

Cleaning - I used a damp washcloth to completely wipe down the watch and band. I didn't want to run it under the faucet. It seemed to do a fine job at getting it clean and the Gear is working fine. I also didn't want to take it in the shower.

So overall while the concept of what it would have done had it worked correctly would have been great, the experience was pretty bad. Next time I'll wear my polar monitor and compare the averages of the Gear to the Polar. Assuming they are correct then I can just run without needing to check the Gear often but I'm not that optimistic. It really is too bad as I've been overall very happy with the Gear but one of the big reasons for the purchase was for exercise. I'm wondering what people who have owned a Moto 360 have noticed when using it for running. That was the other watch I was considering.

Last edited:

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I did my first jogging session with my Gear S2 this morning and it wasn't such a great experience. I ran on my treadmill in the basement. I did not wear my Polar watch and HRM to compare (I will next time). I mixed up jogging and walking so I could observe the changes in my heart rate as determined by the Gear. I used S-Health for the session and left the app on the whole time. Below are some observations.

Heart Rate - This was pretty disappointing. While not recently in the past I have often run with my polar so I have a pretty good idea what my heart rate is for different levels on intensity. For the first 5-7 minutes of jogging the Gear was very low. It had me around 135-140 when I know it should have been closer to 155-160. I tightened up the band and within 2-3 minutes it was up to 175 when it at most would have been 163. One big thing I noticed is that it appears the Gear only measures heart rate while the screen is on. This was very obvious after I switched from running to walking. After walking for about 3 minutes I looked at my Gear and it said my heart rate was 173. This was right after my treadmill handlebars said it was 136. I kept the screen on which wasn't easy (see next section) and watched the heart rate drop.

Screen - The up and down motions of my arms while running played havoc with the screen on sensor. I would often notice when not looking at my arm through the corner of my eye that the screen was on. When I would bring it to my eye to look at it would switch on but immediately dim to off (I do have the always on hands only so those appeared). The movement of my body made the watch think that I had moved my arm down and I had to try very hard to not move my right arm when looking at it to keep the screen on. This was very difficult with the bouncing of the body of each stride.

S-Voice - This plagued the run during the first half but only happened once during the second half. When I would look at my wrist the S-Voice screen was on. My only guess is that something triggered the voice command (though I never said anything close to "Hey Gear"). It was very frustrating to have to cancel out of S-Voice every time I wanted to see my heart rate.

Battery - I didn't check right before and after the run but I took my Gear off the charger at 7:10am at 100%. I checked it after I showered and wrote this review at around 8:50am and it was at 77%. I'm guessing the constant motions of the screen turning on and off really used a ton of battery. I just discovered that you can turn off the wake up gesture. I'm going to try that for a while as I think it would have helped the issue of not being able to get a good look at the Gear. In addition to not turning the screen on it also doesn't turn it off and leaves it on for the full 7 seconds.

Cleaning - I used a damp washcloth to completely wipe down the watch and band. I didn't want to run it under the faucet. It seemed to do a fine job at getting it clean and the Gear is working fine. I also didn't want to take it in the shower.

So overall while the concept of what it would have done had it worked correctly would have been great, the experience was pretty bad. Next time I'll wear my polar monitor and compare the averages of the Gear to the Polar. Assuming they are correct then I can just run without needing to check the Gear often but I'm not that optimistic. It really is too bad as I've been overall very happy with the Gear but one of the big reasons for the purchase was for exercise. I'm wondering what people who have owned a Moto 360 have noticed when using it for running. That was the other watch I was considering.

All that on and off stuff would run the battery down and also drive me crazy. Isn't there a way to turn off the gestures? I really think using gestures on a watch is a bad idea in general and wonder why they are baked in like that.

Posted via Android Central App

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was worried about using it for workouts. Currently have Apple Watch and it's pretty darn accurate. Even when I run on a treadmill the Apple Watch is within a 10th of a mile on distance.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Using Samsung health it wouldn't measure my distance ran. However when I walk or run around outside it records my distance just fine. I'm guessing because a treadmill is stationary it is unable to record distance?

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Maybe somewhere in the owner's manual in small print is a disclaimer that states measurements only accurate while sitting still. Gear S2 not recommended for exercise.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So hopefully by the time the SIM equipped version comes out an update will have improved things because I really do want one.

TimY19

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Just did a 6km outdoor run with both the S2 and the Garmin Vivoactive (connected to the Scosche Rhythm+ HRM). The heart rates for both were close and the Max difference I saw was about 3 beats. So in all, I thought the S2 HRM was pretty good, certainly better the LG G watch R. The setup I used was Garmin on left hand close to wrist with the S2 slightly further up my arm with the screen facing down ie facing same side as palm. Seems to work well this way.

Now the downsides. I would prefer if the watch had the Runkeeper app as that is what I normally use. Also the Nike+ screen is very basic with only the distance always visible. Finally, after the run, I cannot find how to view the heart rate graph. Can't find it in either the Nike+ app nor S Health.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So how accurate is the distance measurements between the two? Tonight at work it measured I walked 1.96 miles. I'm a bagger so I'm out getting carts a lot and moving around.

TimY19

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
After 6 km (slightly less than 4 miles), the difference in distance was 140m or about 155 yards. I am not sure if the Nike+ app on the watch gets the distance from the GPS on the phone or if it uses its own accelerometers. Checked whatever little documentation there was and couldn't tell.

TimY19

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
After the 6km (slightly less than 4 miles) run, the difference in distance was 140m (or about 155 yards). The Garmin was showing 6km while the S2 was showing 5.86km.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I look ridiculous with two watches on, but yesterday took a short dog walk and Samsung Gear Live registered 2076 steps and S2 registered 1775. This morning Gear Fit has 1438 and S2 has 1121. I don't know actual steps, but S2 definitely recording less. Plan to actually count steps this evening to see.

TimY19

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Just finished my second 6km run in the same configuration as the first, except this time I was using the S Health app. I must say that I feel it is a lot more polished than the Nike+ app on both the watch as well as the phone. After the run, I was able to see my heart rate graph and other metrics such as speed and height info. I have gotten to the point where I think I am prepared to go solo with my S2.

cmb713

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Did anyone get the gps to work with the Nike app? Keeps saying unavailable but works fine using the s-health or running the ne app on my phone.

I'm seeing the same issue with my Gear S. Gps works fine with s-health but doesn't work with the Nike app.

Posted via the Android Central App

icecreamw

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site

So overall while the concept of what it would have done had it worked correctly would have been great, the experience was pretty bad. Next time I'll wear my polar monitor and compare the averages of the Gear to the Polar. Assuming they are correct then I can just run without needing to check the Gear often but I'm not that optimistic. It really is too bad as I've been overall very happy with the Gear but one of the big reasons for the purchase was for exercise. I'm wondering what people who have owned a Moto 360 have noticed when using it for running. That was the other watch I was considering

Thanks for posting this. Your experience with the HRM is disappointing. To be honest though, I have two fitness bands with decent HRMs that can't be totally accurate either. Have you put in more runs to see if the inaccuracy is consistent?

Have you tested the GPS accuracy for running?

Just finished my second 6km run in the same configuration as the first, except this time I was using the S Health app. I must say that I feel it is a lot more polished than the Nike+ app on both the watch as well as the phone. After the run, I was able to see my heart rate graph and other metrics such as speed and height info. I have gotten to the point where I think I am prepared to go solo with my S2.
Wow this is great news. Does S health display distance, HR, duration during the run? Can you manually say you want to start and stop a workout? Does the HR and speed seem accurate?

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Wow this is great news. Does S health display distance, HR, duration during the run? Can you manually say you want to start and stop a workout? Does the HR and speed seem accurate?

I've been using the S2 Classic since October 2nd. I try to get an hour in of walking daily. I've been very pleased with the fitness tracking.
I will try to give you an idea of how it works on the S2 for my walks. I have a widget set up that I can manually start tracking my walk real easily with just a turn and a screen press. Once walking the watch will track and show my distance, heart rate, speed, etc (any of the green screens in the image I linked). I just turn the bezel to switch the screens for the one I want. Once I finish walking I hit "finish" and then a summary is logged in the S-health app on my watch and on the phone. On the watch the summary shows what my heart rate was, a map of where I went, speed, etc. Even more detailed information is available on the phone app.

Screenshots off my watch and phone:

http://s13.postimg.org/sk005u90n/Final.jpg

Final.jpg

icecreamw

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the S2 Classic since October 2nd. I try to get an hour in of walking daily. I've been very pleased with the fitness tracking.
I will try to give you an idea of how it works on the S2 for my walks. I have a widget set up that I can manually start tracking my walk real easily with just a turn and a screen press. Once walking the watch will track and show my distance, heart rate, speed, etc (any of the green screens in the image I linked). I just turn the bezel to switch the screens for the one I want. Once I finish walking I hit "finish" and then a summary is logged in the S-health app on my watch and on the phone. On the watch the summary shows what my heart rate was, a map of where I went, speed, etc. Even more detailed information is available on the phone app.

Screenshots off my watch and phone:
Wow thanks. I'm looking into getting the 3G model as well. Does this app require the use of the phone? Are you happy with these results?

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choll