Weather definitely not updating

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
In Samsung Gear on my phone I have Auto Refresh set to Every Hour. My Gear S2 never updates the weather unless I open the app. I actually forgot to bring my watch to work today. It powered off last night around 8:30pm while I was exercising. Today it was left on my charger until about 9am when my wife took it off and stayed powered off until 3pm when I got home. At that time I powered it on. Just now about 6:30pm I noticed that my watchface said it was 59 despite it warming up a lot today in Chicago. I swiped over to the Weather widget which also said it was 59 and the location said Loop which is where I work. The watch was last in the loop yesterday at 2pm. It then was at my house powered on from 2pm-8pm last night at tonight from 3pm-6:30pm. Once I opened up the app (after the 5 seconds it took to update) the temperature jumped from 59 to 67 and the location updated.

Could I be missing a setting somewhere? I know in another thread somebody mentioned their weather updates as expected. Is there some place other than Samsung Gear on the phone that this needs to be set? Thanks.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I posted somewhere that my weather updated as expected, which was true, but noticed earlier today that even though I have it set to hourly, it was 4 hours since last update. Just checked now and mine updated 45 minutes ago. If you have it set to hourly in the Gear app, don't know where else you should update except do you have weather set to location in Gear app? And if so do you have location turned on on phone? Probably doesn't matter, but maybe?

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I posted somewhere that my weather updated as expected, which was true, but noticed earlier today that even though I have it set to hourly, it was 4 hours since last update. Just checked now and mine updated 45 minutes ago. If you have it set to hourly in the Gear app, don't know where else you should update except do you have weather set to location in Gear app? And if so do you have location turned on on phone? Probably doesn't matter, but maybe?

Guessing you are right. I realized that I was testing my phone battery and had location set to Power Saving. I'm guessing that is the issue. I'll see if this fixes it. Thanks.

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Changing my phone location settings to High Accuracy didn't change anything. Not sure why my weather still never updates. How are you confirming when your weather updated? You said at first it was 4 hours ago and then 45 minutes ago. I always see the current time on the weather widget but don't see any way of telling when it last updated. Thanks.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Changing my phone location settings to High Accuracy didn't change anything. Not sure why my weather still never updates. How are you confirming when your weather updated? You said at first it was 4 hours ago and then 45 minutes ago. I always see the current time on the weather widget but don't see any way of telling when it last updated. Thanks.
If you click the black background weather widget, you are brought to a (probably blue) additional weather screen. If you click that and scroll to the bottom QUICKLY, you'll see the last weather was updated. If not quickly enough, you'll see thatthe updated time from just accessing weather.

That being said, I concur that weather is not updating automatically. It been checking a few times since yesterday, and my weather has been stale, too.

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Just checked (not that I really needed to confirm) but it said 2:26pm which was 5 hours ago and the last time I manually opened it. Has anybody else noticed issues (other than the two of us)?

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody else noticed issues (other than the two of us)?

Mine seems to be updating correctly. I've not seen any problems. You might try closing the weather app on the watch or resetting the watch to see if that fixes it.

Also, do you have a Samsung phone? My older Samsung Gear Fit got weather information from the Samsung weather app on the phone via the Bluetooth connection. If I remember correctly you had to have widget active for the phone to get the weather info. But that is just how it worked on the Gear Fit.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to think that it is going to be important to indicate on every post whether we have a Galaxy phone or not. Samsung clearly indicated that some things just won't work, or work correctly on non Galaxy phones. I have a Nexus 5, and am only just finding out that we don't have the Messages or Email apps, that we can't use the S2 to answer an incoming call from S2 (on phone or BT headset). And possibly weather won't auto-update. Samsung may "fix" some of these things, or this may just be how it's going to be.

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine seems to be updating correctly. I've not seen any problems. You might try closing the weather app on the watch or resetting the watch to see if that fixes it.

Also, do you have a Samsung phone? My older Samsung Gear Fit got weather information from the Samsung weather app on the phone via the Bluetooth connection. If I remember correctly you had to have widget active for the phone to get the weather info. But that is just how it worked on the Gear Fit.

I did not have any weather widget. Just put on the Accuweather widget. Is that the one you meant? I don't see any Samsung Weather widget on my phone. I use Nova Launcher instead of Touchwiz.

To Fitz's point I use a Galaxy Note 4 however as I said just above it is not using Touchwiz.

becca0327

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Im using the S2 with the Samsung S4. When I got my watch I received a notification asking me to grant permission to weather for the watch. Since that time my husband inadvertantly reset my phone so I had to go through the whole set up again. This time no permission notification and now my weather only updates when I open the app on the watch. I'm thinking it has something to do with the permissions setting. I'll do some research/trial and error and report back with results.

becca0327

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
In Settings Apps and under the All tab I found Weather (it has the accuweather.com icon) I cleared the data on it. Opened the Samsung weather widgit and set my location with all other relivent information (how often to update). This seems to have updated the app on the watch to correctly display the temperature at the correct time intervals set for the watch widget. Hope this helps others.

Last edited:

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
In Settings Apps and under the All tab I found Weather (it has the accuweather.com icon) I cleared the data on it. Opened the Samsung weather widgit and set my location with all other relivent information (how often to update). This seems to have updated the app on the watch to correctly display the temperature at the correct time intervals set for the watch widget. Hope this helps others.

Can you explain a little further? Which Settings are you referring to? I have a Galaxy Note 4 and if I go to Settings on my phone I don't see an Apps choice. I do see Application settings but there is a list (no icons) and weather isn't one of the choices. I don't see this on Gear Manager settings or the Gear S2 settings. Could you give a little more detail on exactly where you went to get those choices. Also is the Samsung weather widget the one that says AccuWeather.com in the bottom right corner?

Thanks.

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I think I found what you were referring to. You meant the application manager. I cleared the data for both the Weather app (did not have Accuweather icon) and the Accuweather app (not sure if this is on your phone). I then installed the Weather widget (different from the Accuweather widget I had installed) and set it all up to work with my current location.

I have not yet seen my watch update yet but will monitor and report back. If you think I did anything wrong here please let me know. Thanks.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the S2 with a Galaxy S4 phone, latest firmware on the watch, and the watch is not updating weather hourly. I have to open the weather app on the watch to get it to update. Very annoying. Why bother to put weather info on the watch if it's old news?

Folks, please, when you're describing steps you've taken to trouble shoot this, be specific about whether you're talking about settings, apps, widgets, etc., on the watch or the phone. Thanks!

Last edited:

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the S2 with a Galaxy S4 phone, latest firmware on the watch, and the watch is not updating weather hourly. I have to open the weather app on the watch to get it to update. Very annoying. Why bother to put weather info on the watch if it's old news?

Folks, please, when you're describing steps you've taken to trouble shoot this, be specific about whether you're talking about settings, apps, widgets, etc., on the watch or the phone. Thanks!

I'm pretty confident she was describing the Application Manager on the phone. Going to the All tab and hitting Clear Data. I have not yet gotten weather to update correctly yet on my watch. If I do I will fully lay out the steps that worked for me.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I did not have any weather widget. Just put on the Accuweather widget. Is that the one you meant? I don't see any Samsung Weather widget on my phone. I use Nova Launcher instead of Touchwiz.

To Fitz's point I use a Galaxy Note 4 however as I said just above it is not using Touchwiz.

I was referring to the built-in Samsung Weather Widget. Nova doesn't support that widget so if you wanted to activate it you'd need to temporarily set Touchwiz as your default launcher, set up the widget, then reset Nova as the default.

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I was referring to the built-in Samsung Weather Widget. Nova doesn't support that widget so if you wanted to activate it you'd need to temporarily set Touchwiz as your default launcher, set up the widget, then reset Nova as the default.

I think it now is in Nova. I wonder if it was added between my first post which you quoted from 10/08 and what I was seeing this morning. This morning (in Nova) I saw a widget called Weather. I updated all of that. Just now I switched back to Touchwiz and see that it is the same Widget and it was set the way I did this morning. My watch still has not been updating weather. I'll leave it on Touchwiz for a few hours and see if you need to run Touchwiz to get the watch to update correctly.

ks-man

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I use Nova also and it updates fine on the watch.

Very strange. No matter what I try I can't get it to update automatically on the watch. Do you see it update just on the weather widget or also if you have the weather info on your main watch face too? It just doesn't make sense that is works correctly for some users and not at all for other users.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes that is strange. Yes, I see the updates both on the watch face and on the weather widget.

It's a stretch but you may want to try this: Within the settings for the Samsung weather widget, turning on "Use Current Location" if it isn't already.

I am using a Galaxy S6. A strange thing I recall from back when I was using a Galaxy S5 earlier with the Gear Fit was that that setting had to be enabled for the weather update to work properly on the Gear Fit. With the Galaxy S6, it worked properly whether or not that setting was enabled. That seems like a bug to me that maybe was fixed with the S6, maybe exists on the Note 4 and applies to the Gear S2 also.

Also, I have a weather complication on the main face (Modern Utility). I don't know if that makes a difference (it shouldn't, but may be a bug).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49