The ring isn't sturdy

Brian McBride

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Last night, I suddenly noticed that my S2 ring is loose. Just a little. No visible watch damage and I haven't dropped, banged, or otherwise caused something that would be huge. When you shake the watch, it has a slight rattle sound (as the ring is shifting back and forth against the metal of the watch).

It no longer feels 100% stable. It almost feels more sloppy. You can also see the ring movement. Maybe a millimeter or two.

Overall, very disappointing - but I am glad I am in the exchange window. For $300 this watch should be solid up to throwing it on the ground in attempt to smash it to pieces.

Maybe I'll try the Moto 360 v2.

Frank Booth

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I actually have thrown my S2 on the ground and attempted to smash it to pieces. The ring has remained tight and stable. For $300, I'm glad these watches are so well built.

Amochi013

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I actually have thrown my S2 on the ground and attempted to smash it to pieces. The ring has remained tight and stable. For $300, I'm glad these watches are so well built.
give the watch to me if you are going to purposely break it..

Posted via the Android Central App

Brian McBride

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Right. Well, I can't say I completely believe you Mr. Booth. But maybe you are someone who likes to throw money away (or in this case throw it to a mega corp). Perhaps next time consider buying a bunch of meals for the homeless (or another altruistic act) instead of spending $300 to smash it on the ground.

For anyone else with an S2. Just keep in mind that the ring got loose on one watch. Be aware that it could be an issue. Maybe mine was just a defective unit. Just trying to share the info so we are all a bit more informed.

ReggieReg72

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
My ring is now loose as well! Oh man this sucks.. I didn't drop it or bang it all. I bought it on the 2nd so I'm within my exchange window but now I'm concerned about another one. It hasn't been 2 weeks and it's already loose???

If I press on the top of the ring the bottom slightly lifts up and vise versa. I think this is a deal breaker for me. I really like this watch too. Going back tomorrow. Fun while it lasted..

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Mine is loose also -- purchased on the 4th. I really hate it as it is the only smartwatch I have liked since leaving Apple products.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Well two could be a fluke defect, but we're a pretty small group on this forum. My bezel is fine, but I'll warn everyone against updating to Marshmallow. It has borked my BT connection.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I count three who have mentioned it in this thread. That concerns me because of the relatively small number of people who have posted in this forum, and the watch has only been out for about two weeks.

ReggieReg72

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm gonna keep an eye out on the forums for a while and if it turns out I just got a bad watch I may give it a second try. Maybe the 3G version? My opinion is smart watches are a "nice to have" at this point not a "must have". Maybe after more apps become available I'll see it different.

jkang117

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I bought mine less than two days ago and the bezel is already loose enough that I can feel and see the height shift (albeit very slightly) during use.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My ring is loose in the sense that is being described here. I did notice it and at first wondered if it acted as a button. But... now I am wondering. Do you think is just the design of the watch? Maybe it's supposed to be a tiny bit loose - almost floating. Is that a possibility?

jkang117

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Hmm I know I had seen it in at least two reviews, but I can't even find a mention of "IP68" in any of the reviews I've clicked on previously, so maybe I'm just going crazy.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
From the pcmag review:

"The watch*is rated IP68 for water-resistance, which means it can withstand splashes at the sink, but you shouldn't take it to the beach or in the shower."

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, but can't remember where. You could try Google, but not on the watch. :)