Aesthetically, can't decide between S2 or Classic

vlfifthdawnlv

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I love the look of both.

I wear a suit for work which means the classic looks better. The rubber from the regular s2 looks a little too casual for the attire. Even off work, I still wear a lot of button ups.

However, when I'm just in a t shirt, hoodie, jogging clothes, or anything thats bright color like red, yellow, etc, the leather band just looks out of place.

Yes, the bands are swapable but I have not see any 3rd party really make any bands yet. Also smartwatches are not that popular amongst the mass, epecially non apple watches, so there is even less incentives for 3rd parties to come up with band options, at least not anything soon. And looking at the way the regular S2 connects the band, i don't think anyone would be making any metal band or leather bands for the regular gear s2.

At the same time, the classic uses a standard 20mm band. They made it convenient on the leather band that it comes with having that slider for easy pin removal, but unless 3rd party starts making more casual bands using the same slider, you need a watch tool every time to slide the pin off for regular 20mm bands which makes it a hassel to remove if I want to go from formal to casual.

Tumultus

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Seems like you have all the facts down. Now just create a pro / con list on a clean sheet of paper and decide for the one with the most pros and least cons. I doubt that any forum user on here can make that decision for you. :)

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've come close to pre-ordering the s2 3g but I just can't get past the styling. I'd love to use it for running and then I still want to use it for the rest of the day, but it looks like a f'n swatch.

I do switch bands on my gear 2 all the time. I use the Samsung plastic band for running and other outdoor stuff, and I use a pushpin to swap an aftermarket leather band for nicer stuff. At least I have the option. No luck with the s2 regular version. If I didn't want 3g I'd go for the classic because at least then you have alternatives. There's about zero chance there will ever be aftermarket or even different color bands for the regular s2 IMO.

If samsung offered some sort of leather band for the regular watch plus a black band separate from the watch I'd get the silver one, throw away the white band and swap the others based on activity, but black/black and silver/white do nothing for me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
At the same time, the classic uses a standard 20mm band. They made it convenient on the leather band that it comes with having that slider for easy pin removal, but unless 3rd party starts making more casual bands using the same slider, you need a watch tool every time to slide the pin off for regular 20mm bands which makes it a hassel to remove if I want to go from formal to casual.

Just get on Amazon and look up "20mm quick release" and you'll see there are plenty of options for bands that use those pins. Gear S2 Classic is not the first watch to use those pins, nor will they be the last. Basically any band that says "interchangeable" or "quick release" or "built in pins" is the type of band you're looking for.

vlfifthdawnlv

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Just get on Amazon and look up "20mm quick release" and you'll see there are plenty of options for bands that use those pins. Gear S2 Classic is not the first watch to use those pins, nor will they be the last. Basically any band that says "interchangeable" or "quick release" or "built in pins" is the type of band you're looking for.

Thanks! That actually opens up the classic's option by a lot

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I've got a classic and just ordered a metal band to use when I go out or wear a suit. Looking for a band to work out with. Good luck in your search or choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

alejovh1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I just got the regular s2 and I will be exchanging it for the classic as soon as best buy has it in Stock. Just better looking in my opinion.

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I was holding out hoping to get the Classic, I stopped in to my local Best Buy again today - still none in stock but the Samsung rep had one and I got to see it. I was a little disappointed in it - its really shiny compared to the matte finish on the non-Classic. The Classic with the black leather band was very "fancy" or dressy. I'm not sure how it would look with a silver or black metal band - or a brown leather band, it might make it more casual but not too sure. I actually ended up buying the regular version today at least to try it out and I'm sorta liking it already.

I'm giving the S2 a try after having the Garmin Fenix 3 for a few weeks. I really like the look of that watch and the functionality but I'm having a hard time justifying the price ($600) when the S2 seems to do even more for half of that cost. (but to me, the Garmin looks amazing - a little big, but amazing).

djt84

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
I was wondering the same about the Classic too, as I've not seen one in the flesh but I'm seriously considering one.

It does look very dressy with black leather, which is great some of the time, but mostly I'd need something slightly more casual. I was thinking about a brown strap but I can't tell if this would go well with the black body. Some videos I've seen make the Classic look more grey/titanium and others more black. What do those with the watch think? Would brown work, or am I better off waiting for the (rumoured) silver/titanium version?

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The Classic is definitely more of a very dark grey, glossy finish, than a pure black. As for whether it'd look good with a brown leather band? For me, no. For you, only you could decide.

breezygirl

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I would go with the Classic. I've seen a few reports of the the plastic bands ripping on the regular S2. I had one and found the way the band's come on and off a total pain, now getting a Classic. There are lots of photos of the watches on Instagram with different bands and you get a good idea what the Classic looks like.

Posted via the Android Central App