Directly Talking into a Gear S2 Classic, is it possible?

djsawkins

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Right from what I've read I believed this wasn't possible to make and receive phone calls directly into the watch yet I went into a carphone warehouse shop today to ask and they didn't have any in stock however the girl working there had one on her wrist and she assured me you can talk into the watch itself as long as it's connected to the watch via Bluetooth... she went on to tell me she was talking to her dad literally minutes before via the watch itself! She said it had to be activated in the gear app on the samsung phone.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't get her to demonstrate this function and to make a phone call as now I've come home and started to research again as I don't believe she was telling me the truth. .

Could a Gear S2 Classic owner please put me out of my misery and confirm this function is definitely available as I'm desperate to buy one but feel it needs this function for it to be worth splashing out for?

Oh and I will be using it with a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

Thanks

Last edited:

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Classic owner, and I can guarantee that you can't use the watch as a telephone. It has no speaker, among whatever other hardware would be needed inside the watch.

The 3G version of the watch can function as a phone, and that may be what she had, but I don't think that's available in the Classic style.

djsawkins

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm a Classic owner, and I can guarantee that you can't use the watch as a telephone. It has no speaker, among whatever other hardware would be needed inside the watch.

The 3G version of the watch can function as a phone, and that may be what she had, but I don't think that's available in the Classic style.
Thanks for your response. Exactly what I thought really but didn't want to buy one expecting it to be able to and being disappointed when finally realising it couldn't.

She couldn't of had the 3g version though as i don't think it's even available in the UK yet?

What's your overall opinion of the S2 would you recommend it? Have you had a smartwatch with phone call facility before like the gear neo 2?

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The S2 Classie is my first smart watch, so I can't compare it to others. I'm reasonably happy with it, but I may not be the best person to judge it, since I really don't need (or want) a telephone on my wrist.

I want something that looks like a nice watch, tells me the time and date and notifies me of incoming calls and texts. It does those things, so I like it.

Showing me the temperature is a nice bonus, but it doesn't update hourly like it should so that function is pretty much useless. I hope they fix it.

The vibration notification is too weak for my taste, even though I've got that turned as high as it'll go. Maybe they'll fix that, or maybe I'll need to pair the watch with a bluetooth shock collar.

I'm less than happy with the behavior of the wake-up gesture to turn the watch face fully on, but I'm adapting to it.

My suggestion, if you think you might like the watch, is to pick one up from Amazon or Best Buy, or any place that will allow you to return it for whatever reason you might have, and try it for yourself.

Like I said, I don't have the 3G version, so can't comment on its use as a phone.

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps the rep just meant she was dictating a voice reply to a message using the mic.

But no, you can't use the the S2 Classic for phone calls. Lack of a speaker prevents that.

djsawkins

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
The S2 Classie is my first smart watch, so I can't compare it to others. I'm reasonably happy with it, but I may not be the best person to judge it, since I really don't need (or want) a telephone on my wrist.

I want something that looks like a nice watch, tells me the time and date and notifies me of incoming calls and texts. It does those things, so I like it.

Showing me the temperature is a nice bonus, but it doesn't update hourly like it should so that function is pretty much useless. I hope they fix it.

The vibration notification is too weak for my taste, even though I've got that turned as high as it'll go. Maybe they'll fix that, or maybe I'll need to pair the watch with a bluetooth shock collar.

I'm less than happy with the behavior of the wake-up gesture to turn the watch face fully on, but I'm adapting to it.

My suggestion, if you think you might like the watch, is to pick one up from Amazon or Best Buy, or any place that will allow you to return it for whatever reason you might have, and try it for yourself.

Like I said, I don't have the 3G version, so can't comment on its use as a phone.
Thanks for the insight.. I'm planning on waiting until black Friday sales begin so I can hopefully pick one up at a good price!

djsawkins

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps the rep just meant she was dictating a voice reply to a message using the mic.

But no, you can't use the the S2 Classic for phone calls. Lack of a speaker prevents that.
Yes my thoughts too but for a sales rep to be so sure in what she was telling me considering she actually owned one herself just really confused me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol