Is a Galaxy Gear S2 compatible with a Galaxy S4?

CodFsh9

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Allo Lads, I am new to Android Central and thats because there is no information on my question anywhere!! I am just trying to figure out if a gear s2 smartwatch will work with a s4 smartphone. It says you need 1.5gb of RAM and I checked mine which is around .9gb. But also I looked up the RAM of an s4 and its 2gb. Thanks in advance!

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, I can't find anything that 100% states that, "yes, it will work with a S4 phone." That said, the S4 does appear to meet all the minimum system requirements... as long as your S4 has received an update to Android version 4.4 (KitKat) or higher.

Sorry, I couldn't be more definitive... However, if you purchase the watch from a large retailer, check their return policies before buying. If your not happy with the S2... Return it 😁 .

CodFsh9

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
s a Galaxy Gear S2 compatible with a Galaxy S4?

Hey thanks for the reply. I thought I was going to be in the forum graveyard with this specific question. I might go to Best Buy to have a look. Also do you know what app you need to download to connect one? It says its in the the samsung app store but I can't even find a download for the app store.

Last edited:

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The app you need on your phone is called Samsung Gear, available in the Google Play Store.

I wanted to clarify that while the S2 is compatible with the S4, it may or may not work perfectly with some Android apps on your phone. In my case, I'm using the stock apps on my phone for email and messaging, and they work fine. Other third party apps may or may not. There's another thread here about which apps do or don't work. YMMV.

Best Buy is probably a good choice, in that you can take it back if the watch doesn't suit you.

Leif Simpson

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
The app you need on your phone is called Samsung Gear, available in the Google Play Store.

I wanted to clarify that while the S2 is compatible with the S4, it may or may not work perfectly with some Android apps on your phone. In my case, I'm using the stock apps on my phone for email and messaging, and they work fine. Other third party apps may or may not. There's another thread here about which apps do or don't work. YMMV.

Best Buy is probably a good choice, in that you can take it back if the watch doesn't suit you.

Leif Simpson

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi I have the same setup a Samsung galaxy s4 and the Samsung gear s2 and I've downloaded the gear manager app from both play store and galaxy apps and the same thing keeps happening when I try to pair them together.

I get a notice message saying the my mobile is not compatible or I need to update the gear manager app

I have reinstalled the app more times than once and I've even formatted my mobile and done a full new update and still nothing.

Can anyone help coz I am really starting to loose my patience with Samsung now.

plaasapie

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I have the same problem and tried the gear s2 on a samsung s4 and s5 and neither worked. Took it back to the retailer and he managed to get it connected with his phone.

Told me to update the phone using kies and when I told him its completely updated he insisted I try again.

Did you have any luck?

Thanks

plaasapie

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
The retailer where I live in Gibraltar has at least 5 or 6 customers all with the same issue.

Last update he told me he was going to try fix it himself and then he'll try fix it for everyone.

*Latest update: Retailer managed to fix it for some, said we need to install Gear Plugin before installing gear manager. Cant find gear plugin compatible for S4 on play store so I downloaded the APK.

Managed now to get to the connecting screen on gear manager but nothing further. stays on that screen

Last edited: