What does installing Android Wear on your phone enable on the Gear S2?

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I keep seeing people talk about "installing Android Wear" app on your phone and that will somehow allow the S2 to do new different things. Like what? And do you really just install it on your phone and then magically things change on the watch to allow you to do more things?

Curious.

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm not entirely sure, because I haven't tested anything out. But if it does anything, it probably allows for replies on certain apps.

At the very least this belief comes from people that use Pebble watches on Android. On that platform users need to install the Android Wear app in order to be able to reply to any messages. Does this do the same for the S2? I don't know. I've seen people reference being able to send replies through Hangouts because of the Android Wear app, but I have no idea if it's true.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have two android wear watches, so I need android wear app on my phone. Yeah, I can reply to Hangout notifications, but don't know if I couldn't reply without that app.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
right, but this is a Samsung Gear S2 discussion, so if you have one, does having Android wear on your phone do anything for the GEAR S2?

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site
No the gear s2 isn't Android wear it running Samsung's Tizen OS gear S2 has nothing to do with Android wear they are different watches. You run Samsung's software on the phone to interface with the Gear S2. The apps are different if Android wear has an app that's not to say Gear S2 has it and visa versa. The gear s2 is as different to Android wear as the Apple watch is. They are different watch OS's.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
No the gear s2 isn't Android wear it running Samsung's Tizen OS gear S2 has nothing to do with Android wear they are different watches. You run Samsung's software on the phone to interface with the Gear S2. The apps are different if Android wear has an app that's not to say Gear S2 has it and visa versa. The gear s2 is as different to Android wear as the Apple watch is. They are different watch OS's.

Yes but I have read people say that if you install AW app on your phone and you have an S2, it'll enable features with certain apps that would otherwise not be available. I was just trying to see if anyone can come forward and say which apps specifically and what is enabled. It's strange, I know, but I've seen several posts in various S2 forums about this and was just looking for clarity.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
ok, so in those posts that you read, what apps specifically are supposed to work?
where did you read those posts? what S2 forums are you referring to?
Links to them, please?

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, the thread is in the Samsung Gear S2 forum, the same one that you are now posting in.

I've read the same thing that SMD is referring to, that installing the Android Wear app affects the way some apps interact with the S2, even though the S2 runs on Tizen and not Android. I can see how it's possible, seeing as how the S2 is compatible with so many Android phones.

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I installed Android Wear on my Note5, with a Gear S2. What I've found is it allows the ability to reply to Hangout messages...which without AW you couldn't do. I'm not sure if installing AW has an affect on other Gear S2 apps, but it does with Hangouts.

I will say that I had to uninstall AW due to inconsistent Hangout messages on my S2. I would get messages on my Note5, but not always on my S2. I hope this clears the air.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12