Educate me - new to (actual) smart watches

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I currently have a Pebble Steel, which I really like and was going to hang on to for a few years until smart watches were refined a little more... but the S2 has caught my eye. I really like the style of the Classic, but the original appears to be the only one with 3G (for Verizon). Will the classic work similar to my Pebble and only offer bluetooth range from my phone, or does it WiFi or something of that nature so I don't have to have my phone on me at all times? A big box has $50 off the Classic right now, so I scooped it up; but, I'm still trying to decide if I need to/should go with the original S2 for the 3G capability. I really know next to nothing about the S2 other than it appears to be a pretty sweet device.

audri5

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
The classic will do pretty much what the pebble does. I heard (don't know for sure) they will be releasing the classic in 3g later in 2016 but who knows. You can not use the classic without your phone and in fact can not answer calls from it without a headset as it has no speaker. In my opinion, either get the 3g model or keep the Pebble but there are probably many people who would disagree with me. I love being able to leave my phone at home and still have all the functions on my S2 3g.

Posted via the Android Central App

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I was using the Pebble Steel since it's initial launch and I picked up the Gears S2 Classic when it launched.

Things I have learned:

1. Long battery life of the Pebble watches is overrated. I'm ending each day with the S2 with 40% battery and I'm totally fine with that. Could stretch it to two dasy if I wanted by turning off "always on" mode. The reason I'm fine with one solid day of life? The charger. It's just so simple and convenient.

2. The e-paper screen of Pebble is overrated. I really expected outdoor readability of the S2 to be a problem. It's not. The S2 screen looks great indoors and out. And since it has a built in ambient light sensor I never have to mess with screen brightness or turn a backlight on to read it indoors.

3. The Pebble app Store is awesome. I really miss it. The Gear S2 app store is really bad right now. Especially if you don't have a Galaxy phone. Can only access the paid apps if you have a Galaxy phone. If you want an S2, better make sure the stock apps are gonna meet your needs.

4. I have found fitness tracking to be much better on the S2. I don't do anything intensive, but for my daily walks it gives me much more information, feedback, and alerts than I ever had on Pebble. I find it to be more accurate than Pebble, but I have seen others complaining about the accuracy of the S2.

5. S2 needs persistent apps capability. On the Pebble if you open your music player app it stays open. I can walk and change tracks or adjust the volume without even looking at the watch. No such luck on the S2. Most apps are force closed and you typically find yourself back at the watchface anytime you check the watch. I believe the original Gear 2 had the option for persistent apps, so hopefully they'll add the option in future update for the S2.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it is the app. S health is accurate for me. Nike is about 10% off for me.

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
The s2 classic has wifi, but that mostly just connects you to your phone over the local wifi network. Can't leave your phone at home all day while you're at work.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
The s2 classic has wifi, but that mostly just connects you to your phone over the local wifi network. Can't leave your phone at home all day while you're at work.

Great to know since I'm at home or at work 90% of my day. If I'm not at those locations, then I have my phone near me (blue tooth). So, for me, I should be able to get notifications almost as if I had a 3G version? I'd rather save the upfront and monthly costs if that is the case.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Thank you all for the great feedback. I guess, if it does pretty much the same thing as my Pebble (in the classic version for now), I may wait for Classic 3G or wait to see what the next version offers. I like the look of the classic, but not enough to drop $300 right now.

With that said, I also use a FitBit; if I could replace my FB and my Pebble with 1 device - maybe?