Textra on the Gear S2

Grifter3000

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I use Textra as my default SMS app, my phone is a Note 5, and I have the new Gear S2 Classic.

I have to use Textra as my default SMS app because the stock Android Samsung text app cannot handle the volume of texts I have - I don't like to delete my old conversations, and the default Samsung SMS app just locks up and freezes due to the high volume of texts I keep.

Textra works great on my phone.

The problem I'm facing is with my Gear S2:

I can't seem to be able to open the texts that come in. I get the notification - and I can even reply to the message - but I can't open the incoming message and read it. I touch it with my finger the message won't open.

Does anyone have a solutions for this issue? I see other people online saying they can read incoming texts via Textra on their S2 no problem (they just can't compose - only read and reply) so I'm wondering if there's some kind of workaround. I know the Textra support folks claim they aren't compatible with Samsung's Tizen OS. But I do see the messages pop up and again can reply to a text, too - just can't read them first!

Thanks!

ALborntoride

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
But all I did was turn notifications off in the gear app and then back on and select the textra app to receive them and it worked

Grifter3000

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Well I can see them and thought I could respond but it goes into the Samsung messaging app...still tinkering

Can you see the contents of the texts before you reply? I can see who they're from AND reply - but I can't open the messages and read it, which makes it impossible to really text on the watch.

Tim Speedle

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
You need to change your notification settings in Textra to include the Message Text in the notification. Once you do that, then the message text should start showing up. Also, if you changed the notification settings for any of your specific contacts, you will have to go into those and change them to include the message text in the notifications as well.

cjackson3

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Once I receive the text and work with it. I can't see sender messages through the message app on the watch. That's a bummer for messages I want to Deal with later.

Posted via the Android Central App

Alan Wolmer

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I just received my Gear S2 Classic today, and cannot seem to get Textra to work, whenever I turn notifications on it keeps telling me I need to set Messanger as the default texting app to receive texts?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

NuMotiv

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I just received my Gear S2 Classic today, and cannot seem to get Textra to work, whenever I turn notifications on it keeps telling me I need to set Messanger as the default texting app to receive texts?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ignore it and continue on. Textra will show up showing the name and message and allow you to reply.

Alan Wolmer

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Got it, Thanks.
Tried it this time and it worked. I guess when I tried it before the watch was still in the "setup" stage and was syncing all other apps - prob why it was not working then.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i really like the default Samsung Messages app. However I did try Textra out. And I'm pretty jealous of how Textra gives you the "Mark as Read" option on the S2, wish the Messages app did that.

44Joan

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Just to point out that Textra on the Gear S2 actually offers more functionality than Textra on the phone. Namely, ability to set up "quick replies" (which, bizarrely for such an otherwise great app, they don't have on the phone.)

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Just to point out that Textra on the Gear S2 actually offers more functionality than Textra on the phone. Namely, ability to set up "quick replies" (which, bizarrely for such an otherwise great app, they don't have on the phone.)
That is weird that they don't have it. I thought it did but it turns out it's "quick compose".

Last edited:

Grifter3000

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Have textra on my s8+ and can't receive messages on my gear s2. Any ideas

The trick I found to making it work was in the settings - can't recall which settings (Textra or the S8) - you have to permit notifications from the app to appear on your locked screen. Then they should show up on your watch, too. Took me a long time to figure that out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781