Massive battery drain in 9 hours

browetally

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Left the house at 11:15 to go to church with my watch at 100%. Now it's 8:15 and it's at 11%. Minimal usage today. Sent 3 4-word texts. Have received some text, gmail and facebook notifications. Made a call to my son for 22 seconds.

What would cause the battery to drain so quickly?

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I took mine off the charger at 8:30 and had to put it back on the charger after it died completely at 1:45. I sent one message and received a few that I replied to using my phone. I don't know what to do. I did a factory reset so we will see what tomorrow brings.

Oh I'm using the AT&T version as well. WiFi turned on when appropriate which was the majority of the day. I think I left for 15 min and it switched to 4G then.

browetally

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I took mine off the charger at 8:30 and had to put it back on the charger after it died completely at 1:45. I sent one message and received a few that I replied to using my phone. I don't know what to do. I did a factory reset so we will see what tomorrow brings.

Oh I'm using the AT&T version as well. WiFi turned on when appropriate which was the majority of the day. I think I left for 15 min and it switched to 4G then.

WIFI and NFC both turned off. I just turned off heart rate monitor. I did test that like 3 consecutive times this morning.

Nicolevosb

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
We have the AT&T 4g and man, we don't even get 9 hours on ours. Husband left around 7 on a full charge at 8 he was at 60% then usually around lunch it dies. (bluetooth off, watch face off, hrm off, etc) I haven't used mine out of the house yet as i've been injured but I unplug it when it's at 100% and just leave it on the charger and it's dead within the end of the day too, and that's not using it at all. We're thinking about returning :( We're pretty bummed, we love the watches when they actually work... But it missing notifications, numbersync not working, battery lasting a few hours just doesn't seem worth it. We may try to exchange first to see if they're defected, but since it's both of our watches, that's highly doubtful. Maybe exchange for the gear s? eh, idk. We're just so disappointed.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Left the house at 11:15 to go to church with my watch at 100%. Now it's 8:15 and it's at 11%. Minimal usage today. Sent 3 4-word texts. Have received some text, gmail and facebook notifications. Made a call to my son for 22 seconds.

What would cause the battery to drain so quickly?

I would imagine the main thing is the watch trying to connect/retrieve a cellular signal. If you turn off/disable the cellular connection in your watch settings I would imagine your battery would last a couple days. GPS is the only other thing that your watch has that the non-3g versions don't so maybe go without that and see (if possible, I haven't tried). Maybe try systematically to shut one thing off every day and see how it impacts your battery life but I'd imagine that cellular (3G) connection is what's killing it.

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My battery started draining quicker after the latest update. I'm none too happy about it either. I had it in do not disturb mode while taking a nap for about an hour an a half and it drained by 25%! That's not using it AT ALL. Screen never came on obviously. WIFI off, location off, brightness at 3. Prior to the latest update it was good. I could get from early morning to bedtime and still have about 60% battery depending on usage.

Blknight96

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
We have the AT&T 4g and man, we don't even get 9 hours on ours. Husband left around 7 on a full charge at 8 he was at 60% then usually around lunch it dies. (bluetooth off, watch face off, hrm off, etc) I haven't used mine out of the house yet as i've been injured but I unplug it when it's at 100% and just leave it on the charger and it's dead within the end of the day too, and that's not using it at all. We're thinking about returning :( We're pretty bummed, we love the watches when they actually work... But it missing notifications, numbersync not working, battery lasting a few hours just doesn't seem worth it. We may try to exchange first to see if they're defected, but since it's both of our watches, that's highly doubtful. Maybe exchange for the gear s? eh, idk. We're just so disappointed.

Once you turn off Bluetooth and put it on "standalone mode", you're now using mobile networks and it doesn't matter at this point. Because you're using more battery at this point.

NumberSync not working properly, because you're not getting notifications. Not sure what's going on there, but in the Gear software double check to see what notifications you have checked. Try doing a factory reset on your Gear S2 (backup prior)

I'm not having issues with my battery anymore, but I'm realistic to the fact that Samsung oversold themselves claiming to have 2 days worth of battery in this watch. I can get a good day's worth out of the battery between 8 - 10 hours give a take, depending on what I'm doing that day.

Watch Face set to wake mode
Brigthness set at 5
WiFi & NFC off
GPS ON
Heart rate monitor set at moderate
NumberSync ON (Not missing any Notifications)

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been monitoring mine today so far. Since taking it off the charger, the first hour it only used 5% battery life (between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m.). Then, I checked it just after 10:00 a.m., and it has used 20% more battery! It's down to 70% now! What used battery between 9 and 10 a.m.? I have no idea. All I was doing between 8 and 10 was watching television. Not using the watch at all, no notifications at all, etc.

Watch face is on wake mode
brightness set at 4
wifi & NFC off
GPS off
heart rate monitor set at moderate
number sync on as well

I can't figure out what used so much in the last hour.

I didn't have ANY problems with battery prior to this last update of the watch. I could go from early morning to 10 or 11 at night and still have 30-40% left. Now, I'll be lucky to make it to nightfall.

I wish there was some way to know what used the battery by 20% in the last hour!

Blknight96

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Try a factory reset on S2 and after updating and re-establishing numbersync and you continue to have this big battery drain issue, replace the device might be the next option. Might need to unistall and re-install the gear software, backup all information prior

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. I did a factory reset. Charging overnight and fingers crossed for better battery life tomorrow!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Blknight96

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Good luck, because after a few factory resets, etc. I have no issues with battery drain or notifications.

But you'll need to call AT&T to make sure that NumberSync is working properly on their end. I had to call a few times on that issue, that's the critical part. Just call and have them check on their end to see if NumberSync is working properly. Then a couple of hours later, call again to Tech Support and have them check again (point of this is to have a new Tech Support person, double check the initial person's work)

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!!! I called AT&T and had them verify and it looks like it's working. So far today after the factory reset last night, things look to be working just fine. I'm down from 100% to 82% with what I'd call my normal usage. I took it off the charger just before 7 a.m. and it is now close to 1 p.m. That is much better and much more what I had before for battery life.

I wonder if something wasn't upgraded correctly with the upgrade and now that I've reset it, it is? Who knows but, it is a bit sad that I had to factory reset to get it to work! On the other hand, I'm happy that it's back to normal!! :) Hopefully this stays this way! Fingers crossed as I do LOVE the watch and I do LOVE number sync concept.

Blknight96

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!!! I called AT&T and had them verify and it looks like it's working. So far today after the factory reset last night, things look to be working just fine. I'm down from 100% to 82% with what I'd call my normal usage. I took it off the charger just before 7 a.m. and it is now close to 1 p.m. That is much better and much more what I had before for battery life.

I wonder if something wasn't upgraded correctly with the upgrade and now that I've reset it, it is? Who knows but, it is a bit sad that I had to factory reset to get it to work! On the other hand, I'm happy that it's back to normal!! :) Hopefully this stays this way! Fingers crossed as I do LOVE the watch and I do LOVE number sync concept.

It is a strong possibility that your initial upgrade was corrupted. That is why a factory reset is important and sometimes needed.

Just glad it worked out for you and hopefully others will eventually get the same success.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I got the Verizon one and so far I noticed that if you don't pair it to your phone it will hunt for cell service in bad areas causing battery drain in a bad way. So I keep it connected with the phone. Gps and nfc are off unless I need it. Battery is great just like that.

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Day 2 after factory reset and the battery life is kicking ****!! It's great... Even better than it was when I thought it was good before. Lol. The update and reset to fix whatever was corrupt has made a huge difference. I could easily get a day and a half out of it now although I charge it nightly.

mondieu

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Factory Reset (hard), this fixed it for me... Thereafter, if the watch has done all the required and KB fixes for battery saving and only get 9 hours with light use should take the device back, it's faulty

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I am curious know if to those of you who are getting good battery (24+ hours) versus bad battery (10 hours or less) if the difference is almost entriely based on wheter or not you have the mobile networks connection set to "always on" versus "auto" or "off"? For me, i find that i will get about 24 hours of use if i have the off or auto setting for mobile networks, but if i turn the mo ile network on all the time or leave the bluetooth range, that my S2 only will get 7 -10 hours.

What are youe experiences?

erickthetwin

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I purchased the Urbane 2 the evening before last, so yesterday was my first full day using it. The evening I purchased it I set it all up; I turned on the wifi, paired the bluetooth, and turned on NumberSync. Yesterday morning I woke up around 5am to work out and took my watch with me. First thing I noticed was the heart rate monitor is way inaccurate, my heart rate won't read above 70 bpm when the monitor on the treadmill shows its 150 bpm. Anyone else experience issue with the heart rate monitor? Anyway, that wasn't too much of an upset for me since I plan on purchasing a Fitbit Blaze or similar for exercising. However, I wore the watch to work, didn't do to much on it. Made just one call from it, and replied to maybe two texts. By 2pm the watch died. Not even a low battery warning or anything. Based on the posts above and other forums I'm thinking the battery drain was due to the NumberSync. I thought I had done my research and purchased this watch mainly for the battery life and LTE capabilities but I'm not really able to take full advantage of those two things simultaneously. I could turn off NumberSync but I don't would prefer not deal with the hassle of a new number. Anyway, I'm considering taking my Urbane back and going with a Moto 360 or Huawei. This might not be the appropriate forum or thread but your input is appreciated.