Gear S2 Classic 3G/4G

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly it was made available for sale today at AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. Does anyone have it? Impressions?

Anyone say anything about the GPS and weather is improved over previous versions of the S2 3G?

I'm also curious about a direct comparison with the Moto 360 Sport?

Thanks.

lando43

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I got one on release date March 11 from T-mobile, the watch is bigger than the Bluetooth version,and feel better on my wrist, I'm planning a full review for next week, if people are interested let me know

droidman401

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly it was made available for sale today at AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. Does anyone have it? Impressions?

Anyone say anything about the GPS and weather is improved over previous versions of the S2 3G?

I'm also curious about a direct comparison with the Moto 360 Sport?

Thanks.

I have it on T-Mobile works great with my HTC m8 n works really good on tmo network in standalone mode....been told sound quality is good no hiccups

Posted via the Android Central App

icicle22

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
If you guys could try testing the GPS tracking with S health and possibly compare the step tracker that would be great. I had the GEAR S and it was awesome but my experience with the S2 has been unreliable when it comes to tracking my mileage on walks and tracking my steps. If you view your GPS path after a walk it is all zig zag all over the place whereas when I use the phone it is dead on following my path. I am guessing the hardware inside the classic is the same but you never know! Thanks in advance!

VDubbs47

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Great to hear some good initial impressions. I thought that the Verizon stores would actually have some in stock on the 11th - stupid assumption - so I pre-ordered mine that day and am still waiting. I'd be happy to test GPS tracking once I get mine.

Dbat74

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I finally went out for a run today since trading in my S2 Sport 3g for the S2 Classic 3g. As I had done with my sport model, I took my Garmin 405cx with me for comparison. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Classic was almost spot on! Classic reported 4.68 miles and my Garmin reported 4.64 miles... yay!!! My sport version was never this close.

If you guys could try testing the GPS tracking with S health and possibly compare the step tracker that would be great. I had the GEAR S and it was awesome but my experience with the S2 has been unreliable when it comes to tracking my mileage on walks and tracking my steps. If you view your GPS path after a walk it is all zig zag all over the place whereas when I use the phone it is dead on following my path. I am guessing the hardware inside the classic is the same but you never know! Thanks in advance!

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I got one on release date March 11 from T-mobile, the watch is bigger than the Bluetooth version,and feel better on my wrist, I'm planning a full review for next week, if people are interested let me know

by bigger, do you mean just the casing? or is the actual screen bigger?

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the Classic version so maybe somebody else can post photos of the Classic version. The non-3G/4G Sport version though has a slightly smaller screen. The top photo was an older version of tempered glass on my watch that was slightly smaller than the face. Now I have a newer glass from Supershieldz (bottom photo) that is made to fit my watch. That smaller glass does fit perfectly on the non-3G version. My co-worker has the non-3G and I gave him a Spigen glass for his that leaves no space around the watch face.20160118_155953.jpg20160406_032018.jpg

Last edited:

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
^Yes, the specs do indeed indicate the 3G/4G is bigger but the screen for the 3G/4G is a couple millimeters bigger as well than the bluetooth only model. I will try to get a picture of my watch and my co-workers watch side by side and attempt to show the difference. I do know for a fact that the Spigen glass leaves a gap around my watches screen due to it being slightly smaller than the Gear S2 screen but on my co-workers bluetooth only Gear S2 that Spigen glass covers all of his screen.

Edit: The only thing I can think of is that the physical glass itself are different in size but both variants are 1.2 inches when it comes to information that is actually shown on the screen.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

Last edited:

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I held my classic non-3g next to classic 3g/4g in a phone store today. The 3g/4g watch is indeed a little bigger across and the bezel is a little bigger, but there's a wider black band on the inside of the bezel. So it looks like the screens are the same size. (Apologies for the bad photography.)
classics_compared.jpg

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Gear S2 Classic from T-mobile, paired with my Samsung Galaxy Note3. Am loving it already! EASY set up, easy to use, found a classier watch band (black - brown glossy crocodile skin) at local flea market for 15 bucks. Ordering a screen/body protector to keep it safe at work.

Calls route from phone to watch seamlessly, clear speaker and great microphone pick up from wrist without having to keep wrist near face!

Brilliant display! Great battery life so far while blue tooth connected. Have yet to try standalone for extended time, but call forwarding connected fine.

Fun and easy to switch faces. So far happy with native apps.

Only disappointment was having to revert to basic android sms instead of using my preferred Go Sms app. Will contact Go folks to see if they have a Gear app in the works.

Receives sms pix just fine. Used on board music player for loaded music whole working around house and in garage. Will be trying it (and battery life) while at work tonight.

Have not tried blue tooth from watch to headset yet.

All in all, am happy with Gear S2 Classic straight out of the box!

mp2202

May 30, 2016
Visit site
I get mine tomorrow (05-31-2016). I am really chomping at the bit to get my hands on it. I bought it through AT&T. If I need help I will yell!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87