s2 or not to s2? apps catalog / watch faces.

aalmosawi

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
hi all.

i am considering purchasing the s2 watch but i am in a debate between (it) and the huawei watch.
really my main concern is tizen and its software catalog.

with the s2, are there enough apps to cover its usage ?

i still have an original gear s in the drawer because (1) i dont have a samsung phone thus i cant use it and (2) theres hardly any apps for the watch.

whats good about (1) is thats covered now since the s2 works with all android phones.

so my question is:

has the apps/watch faces library grown enough?

Amochi013

May 30, 2014
Visit site
To be honest I had the original galaxy gear watch when it first came out, now I have the gear s2 and I think they both have about the same amount of useful apps.

I recommend to get the s2 only of you have a Samsung phone. If you have another phone, get the Hawaii watch;)

Posted via the Android Central App

aalmosawi

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
To be honest I had the original galaxy gear watch when it first came out, now I have the gear s2 and I think they both have about the same amount of useful apps.

I recommend to get the s2 only of you have a Samsung phone. If you have another phone, get the Hawaii watch;)

Posted via the Android Central App

actually after i posted this i realized the s2 maybe my best option and i like its size. i have small wrists. the huawei is rather a thick watch.

so you're saying the s2 may not work with my lenovo vibe p1? i thought it was compatible with most phones.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
As an S2 owner and a 1st gen 360 owner, the apps/watch faces libraray has not grown enough in terms of matching the numbers of Android Wear. With that being said, Tizen and the rotating bezel works so much better, that the pros outweigh the apps shortcomings. Buy the Huawei if you want the better looking watch.. Buy the S2 if you want a seamless experience. YMMV

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
actually after i posted this i realized the s2 maybe my best option and i like its size. i have small wrists. the huawei is rather a thick watch.

so you're saying the s2 may not work with my lenovo vibe p1? i thought it was compatible with most phones.

Most things work on non-Samsung phones, but the email and message apps do not (you have to rely on notificaitons), and while Samsung Pay isn't available yet for the S2, when it comes, it's likely to work only with Samsung phones (and then probably only with the more recent models). Differences between using with Samsung and N… | Samsung Gear S2

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I sometimes wish there were more apps for my Gear S2 classic, (which I find the best-looking smartwatch available), but then if I think about it, I'm not sure if I'd use any of them (except Samsung Pay). Even on Apple watches, some people complain about the pointlessness and low quality of the apps. There are a handful of apps I use regulalry -- messages, email, Notes on Gear, calendar, and the music player -- but mostly I just wish that existing apps worked better/more robustly. I kind of wish there was an official Nest thermostat app for my watch, but then again I could control it from my watch if I wanted using Tasker. And I'm not sure I'd use it much either way. So it depends on how badly you want lots of apps.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i dont understand all of the drama over "apps" for the watch. I have had mutiple of every variant. Pebble OG, Pebble Time, LG G Watch, Moto 360, Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, and now the S2 Classic.

S2 Classic is the hands down best of them all. And the watch recognizes apps from your phone even if you dont have an app for Tizen. For example, there is no "Gmail" app for the S2 Classic. However, just like on my Moto 360 or Pebble Time, when I get an email on my S2 Classic, I can Archive it, Delete it, clear the notification, etc. Same for Wunderlist. There is no Wunderlist app for the S2 Classic. I have Wunderlist on my phone, and when it pops up a To Do, I can "Snooze" or "Complete" the To Do just like i could on my Moto 360.

Really there is only one app I do miss from Android Wear, my Bring shopping list. It would pop up a shopping list on the Watch face for Android Wear and Apple Watch. It doesn't work on either the S2 Classic or the Pebble Time.

I did like the Gear 2, but the S2 is leaps and bounds better. Battery life crushes Android Wear and Apple Watch. Display is better than AW and Pebble of course.

The only other thing that I'm missing would be the option to give a Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down in music like Google Play or Pandora. You can still see the album artwork on the watch and control the volume and change tracks, but you are missing a Thumbs Up or Thumbs down option, which Android Wear does have. Pebble Time does not have that unless you install Music Boss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez