Battery Life

FAiello

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Pebble I am very disappointed in the battery life of the Gear S2. I have done everything the recommend to get the best battery life. My brightness is set to 2, I only have 4 applications sending me notifications (calendar, Gmail, Message, and incoming call, and I use a black color watch face. I have never made it through a full day without it asking to put in power saving mode around 6 PM. I was hoping to use the Golf Pad app this weekend but am afraid it will not last through a full round of golf so I will continue to use my Pebble for that. I am dissapointed but yet how can I be since it was free.

tonnerdmhe

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I wear my watch all day, it tracks my runs, I and use a sleep tracking app overnight. Initially it wouldn't last a whole day, but now lasts 1.5 days or so. I turn off all notifications while sleeping (my samsung phone is typically not far away tho). I think a 20 or 30 minute conversation on the phone will drain the battery tho, so I don't actually answer calls on my gear when it rings unless I don't have my phone with me.

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I have brightness set to 6, wifi and NFC off, screen timeout to 30 seconds and I get 2 full days from the S2. It does seem to have improved since I first had it but that's probably because I have stopped constantly fiddling with it. You may find that it improves after a while.

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine a few days ago and I too only get about 9 hours out of it. I'm okay with that for now because I only need it at the gym and maybe work but would be nice to get more out of it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Frank Aiello

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I have brightness set to 6, wifi and NFC off, screen timeout to 30 seconds and I get 2 full days from the S2. It does seem to have improved since I first had it but that's probably because I have stopped constantly fiddling with it. You may find that it improves after a while.

How do you turn NFC off? I have tried but it will not let me.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Coming from a Pebble I am very disappointed in the battery life of the Gear S2. I have done everything the recommend to get the best battery life. My brightness is set to 2, I only have 4 applications sending me notifications (calendar, Gmail, Message, and incoming call, and I use a black color watch face. I have never made it through a full day without it asking to put in power saving mode around 6 PM. I was hoping to use the Golf Pad app this weekend but am afraid it will not last through a full round of golf so I will continue to use my Pebble for that. I am dissapointed but yet how can I be since it was free.
What watch face are you using? Though not mentioned often, the watch face could be using cpu when the watch is idle, thus battery. When I first got my S1 it had horrible battery life and the culprit turned out to be the watch face that I'd bought. If you're using a non stock one try a stock generic one for about half a day and see if the battery life improves.

qdigga

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I was getting awesome battery life (almost 1.5 full days). I updated the gear app yesterday and went from 80% to 0 in just 5 hours. I had also downloaded a new watchface that same evening, so one of these could be the culprit. I tend to agree, that sometimes you might have a watchface that taxes the CPU continually, thus chewing through your battery. I went from a pebble to the original S1 some time ago and THAT was an eye opening experience (battery-wise). Coming from that S1 to the S2 Classic, has been a great experience. My wife gets even longer battery life then I was. She uses ONE watchface (lol) and has like 4 notifications and she consistently gets 2 days...

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
To turn NFC off, on the watch go in to Settings, Connections, scroll down to NFC and if it is on (green), press to turn off (grey). I don't understand why you can't use BT when out and about e.g. on the golf course? You just need a connection to the phone and it uses its 3G/4G signal to stay connected online and then updates the watch with and that you have chosen to show.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I was getting awesome battery life (almost 1.5 full days). I updated the gear app yesterday and went from 80% to 0 in just 5 hours. I had also downloaded a new watchface that same evening, so one of these could be the culprit. I tend to agree, that sometimes you might have a watchface that taxes the CPU continually, thus chewing through your battery. I went from a pebble to the original S1 some time ago and THAT was an eye opening experience (battery-wise). Coming from that S1 to the S2 Classic, has been a great experience. My wife gets even longer battery life then I was. She uses ONE watchface (lol) and has like 4 notifications and she consistently gets 2 days...
I get 3 days+ on my S1.

h2osun

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I routinely get 3 to 5% per hour. Use Bluetooth and location, no WiFi. Dark watch faces. Awake gesture, awake with new notifications. I find that when i switch to a different watch face (i change them according to situation), rebooting the watch really helps with the battery life. Also recharging at night with the watch off.
I stay away from animated faces and really busy ones (lots of actively updating info, like weather, hr, activities. Etc).

Frank Aiello

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I turned off Gear Network and now getting thru the day with about 28% left on the battery. Anyone know what Gear Network is?

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
My S2 wifi (non-3G) has always given me a full day +, and often is around 50% or better when I take it off and put it on the charger at bedtime. Brightness set at 5, wifi and bluetooth on, lots of notifications through the day. I find a mostly-black watchface helps a lot, and using wifi is also a big battery drain. If the OP is on a non-3g watch, then there might be a problem with the watch. [edit: and I turn off "always on"; that feature reduces battery life rather dramatically for me]

It might help if folks specify if they have 3G or non-3G watches, as the 3G ones use more juice and have unique settings that can make quite a difference in battery life.

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had my WiFi version for a week. I put it on at 6am and take it off at 11. It's at about 45-50 percent consistently. I don't need better than that since it gets charged every night.

Patsfan66

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I have the 3G version (AT&T) of the Gear S2 and overall fairly satisfied with the battery life. The problem I have is playing music while walking. The battery will hit 15% (from 90+%) in about 1.5 hours. Is this normal? I am using BT to a pair of Motorola headphones. Are there any settings that I can tweak to improve this? I do have GPS, WiFi and NFC turned off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc