T-Mobile Gear S2 Work With AT&T Android Phone?

A

AC Question

Found someone willing to sell me Gear S2 that they said they got from T-Mobile.

My current carrier with my cell phone(Android Phone) is through AT&T.

Will this smartwatch have no problem linking up/working with my cell phone?

The guy selling me the watch states

"It's not bound to a carrier. It's a standalone device. Your carrier doesn't affect it"

Is this true or not? Wasting my money?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Soooo, I won't be able to make and receive texts? So, I'm losing some of the functionality correct?

Not necessarily, you'll just NEED to have your phone WITH you when you do stuff. I'm not familiar with how the Samsung OS works, they don't use Android Wear which I AM familiar with (I had a Moto 360), and it's not an Apple Watch like I currently use, BUT according to Samsung the watch pairs with your phone and supports the phones functions. It can ONLY act as a stand-alone and make calls and texts WITHOUT a phone if its has its own SIM and service.

FlyHigh365

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Found someone willing to sell me Gear S2 that they said they got from T-Mobile.

My current carrier with my cell phone(Android Phone) is through AT&T.

Will this smartwatch have no problem linking up/working with my cell phone?

The guy selling me the watch states

"It's not bound to a carrier. It's a standalone device. Your carrier doesn't affect it"

Is this true or not? Wasting my money?

Is it the 4G version because my gear s2 classic is and it uses a T-Mobile e-sim. Also has its own number but I would call att to confirm.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Soooo, I won't be able to make and receive texts? So, I'm losing some of the functionality correct?

When connected to your phone (via wifi on same network, or bluetooth) it will work as intended. The voice capability will act like any bluetooth headset, and the txt/notifications are handled via the gear app on your phone. In a nutshell, it will act exactly like the non 3g/4g version with the added ability to carry on a conversation via bluetooth. The 3g/4g version has a speaker and slightly larger battery.

What you get with it on it's own plan, is the ability to make calls while away from your phone. It will form a data link (if your phone is on and connected to the internet) for notifications and texts, and forward incoming calls from your phone to the number that is assigned to the watch with outgoing calls "spoofing" your cell phones number.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
When connected to your phone (via wifi on same network, or bluetooth) it will work as intended. The voice capability will act like any bluetooth headset, and the txt/notifications are handled via the gear app on your phone. In a nutshell, it will act exactly like the non 3g/4g version with the added ability to carry on a conversation via bluetooth. The 3g/4g version has a speaker and slightly larger battery.

What you get with it on it's own plan, is the ability to make calls while away from your phone. It will form a data link (if your phone is on and connected to the internet) for notifications and texts, and forward incoming calls from your phone to the number that is assigned to the watch with outgoing calls "spoofing" your cell phones number.

I made this the new best answer! ;)