Nike+ indoors

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok so due to the lack of dedicated running apps for the S2, I setup a Nike+ account. Nike+ is sparse compared to MapMyRun and Runtastic. It appears that there is no way to log runs you didn't actually track with your device (watch or phone). So, I did a search to see how to use it indoors. Per Nike's website, it said the watch will detect you aren't moving and use the accelerometers to measure distance. Well... My treadmill indicated 3.4 mile run was recorded as 0.3 miles by Nike plus. I'm thinking that it was still just detecting me motionless by gps and that total distance was due to my position bouncing around as the gps position accuracy varied over the course of 30 mins time.

I've seen on here where folks have used Nike+ on the treadmill and got better results. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. This is so frustrating because, while not perfect, I had a lot of choices for runtracking w/ the Apple Watch. It's a shame that this is such a better-made device and there are no apps for it...

cmb713

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
You can get it working on a treadmill by turning off location and let the accelerometer keep track of your distance. Here's the problem, the Nike Plus app on the S2 cellular version is broken and I doubt will get updated by Nike or Samsung. Guaranteed you will sometimes get a perfect run in and it will track it fine, but other times you will be running and the mileage stops getting tracked. This happens both with location off on a treadmill and location on while outside. It's really frustrating using the app and finding out that your run was not properly tracked due to the app being broken. Honestly, the S1 actually worked better for indoor running and was more consistent in tracking your runs on a treadmill; however it sucked at locking onto a GPS signal outdoors. If I were you, I would get the Apple Watch and wait for the next version of the OS software update. I suspect that Apple will update the app to work on a treadmill and outdoors without the need for the iphone. I think Apple has a better track record in updating their software than Samsung. I noticed that Samsung seems to abandon their watch updates when they get close to coming out with a new watch.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Well after monkeying around with everything I discovered how all inclusive S Health is. If nothing else I'll log manually my treadmill runs on it then use the GPS for outside.

No, I have an Apple Watch and a Garmin Fenix 2 for that matter. I'm trying to use the Gear S2 for everything so I don't have to worry about switching watches to run.

Najo

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I have a Fenix 3 and I do switch when doing any kind of outdoor or excercize activity. The S2 is sweet for work, but you can't beat Garmin and Connect for everything else.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok did my morning run with S Health with the GPS. Accuracy seems on par with my phone and my iPhone. S Health app is actually pretty robust. Looks like I've got it licked.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I have a Fenix 3 and I do switch when doing any kind of outdoor or excercize activity. The S2 is sweet for work, but you can't beat Garmin and Connect for everything else.

Ya know, part of the reason that I got an Apple Watch (besides the fact that I had to buy an Apple Watch, lol) was because my Fenix 2 was so inaccurate. It was giving me an extra mile or two by the time I ran 25-30 miles. When I complained to Garmin, instead of fixing it, they sent me a fliipin' foot pod. But I do miss Garmin Connect.