Call/Messaging help

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from an iPhone and Apple watch so I am sorry if this seems like a newbie question but here goes.

I picked up a Gear 2 Classic today at T-Mobile. Its activated with a data line and all of that. So I was under impression that in the event my Note 7 was not turned on or near the watch, the watch would revert to the data line and at the very least my text would come to my watch. I purposely left my phone home while I ran to the store and when I came home I had several text. They did not come to the watch until after it was reconnected via bluetooth. In addition I had a couple of missed calls that never came through.

Did some testing and put the phone on airplane mode and would send messages to my phone with Google Voice and they would not go to the watch unless I had the watch connected to the phone with bluetooth. I also had sent to the watches direct number and everything worked perfectly.

On the Samsung Gear app on my phone I have the forwarding turned on, they did that at the store when activating.

Any advice or are my expectations to much?

johna22

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I know text messages go through the phone to the watch via bluetooth or if the phone and watch are on the same wifi network. And I know you can typically set your phone to forward to your watch on most networks, but I know for me on Verizon if I set that then the calls don't come to my phone first, they go directly to the watch. I haven't tried this to see if when I set this if it actually forwards the text messages as well or not though. Even if it does forward the text messages you should be aware that when you reply it will come from the watch phone number, except possibly on AT&T because they have some sort of number sync feature that Verizon doesn't have, not sure about T-Mobile. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

johna22

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. It sounds like i was expecting to much. Not sure the point of a data line is then

Having the data/phone line is helpful if you are away from the phone, even though it's using a separate number you can make and receive calls, get weather, directions since it has its own GPS, s-voice internet search, use internet based apps, etc. My phone actually died and I was able to use the watch as a stand-a-lone device for a few days while waiting for my replacement phone. Hopefully others will chime in too if they have discovered something new about text forwarding I'm not aware of.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
You have to set up forwarding in the Gear app on the phone, it's off by default. It looks like the phone has to be turned on for calls to be forwarded? I just tried this myself with the phone off and I just go straight to voicemail. But, when I'm out of BT range and my phone is on, I do receive the calls.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
You have to set up forwarding in the Gear app on the phone, it's off by default. It looks like the phone has to be turned on for calls to be forwarded? I just tried this myself with the phone off and I just go straight to voicemail. But, when I'm out of BT range and my phone is on, I do receive the calls.

Thats how it worked for me. I wish text would flow over just as simple as calls.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Thats how it worked for me. I wish text would flow over just as simple as calls.

I agree. I just picked mine up an hour ago and am still messing with it. Unfortunately my office doesn't have the greatest TMO coverage so I'm still experimenting lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084