No notifications in standalone mode

j63holland

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I have the S2 with 3G and my phone is the S7 Edge. All of a sudden, I'm not receiving texts and calls when in standalone mode. I was before, but something changed and I can't figure out what. I do get calls/texts on my S2 when my phone is within Bluetooth range, but not when my phone is out of range. Suggestions? Thanks!!

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Notifications can't be passed through in standalone mode- which occurs when the phone is disconnected from the watch. There's no way for them to communicate, for example when the phone is powered off.

You were probably in remote connection mode and didn't realize it. The phone is on a network (WiFi or carrier) but not necessarily in close proximity to the watch. The watch uses it's cellular connection to communicate with the phone.

When in standalone mode, there will be a watch icon at the top of the screen that is displayed on every watchface when it's active. This icon doesn't appear with RC or BT connection. The other way to check is to pull down at the top of an active watchface and it will display how it's connected.

I keep my phone at home, so I'm always in RC mode. It can be flaky. After the last update, it appeared to be more stable. But yesterday I noticed it was broken again. The solution is to do a soft reset on the watch. Yes, it sucks...

The only other option is to use the watch's number, and completely bypass the phone altogether. Then texts and calls will come to it directly,and thus work in standalone mode.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I had this same problem a few years ago. I was expecting notifications to display as quickly as if the watch was connected. I learned that it can take several minutes because of the need for the incoming notification to hop to more servers off the network. It did work but was noticably slower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze