OK Google/Now

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So I've watched a couple videos comparing Googles voice search and command feature on an S2 vs Android Wear devices and it seems to me this most useful feature doesn't work so well on Samsung's offering. Am I missing something? To me it seems a smart watches voice command functions/feature should be it's strongest and Google Now for reminders or to call someone is what I want a smart watch for. Is Sammie not the one I should be looking at for this functionality?

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
So I've watched a couple videos comparing Googles voice search and command feature on an S2 vs Android Wear devices and it seems to me this most useful feature doesn't work so well on Samsung's offering. Am I missing something? To me it seems a smart watches voice command functions/feature should be it's strongest and Google Now for reminders or to call someone is what I want a smart watch for. Is Sammie not the one I should be looking at for this functionality?

We won't know for sure until more info comes out but with the Gear S2, Samsung dropped the ball when it comes to voice functions. Stupid thing cant even do voice reminders and the voice recognition is substandard.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
We won't know for sure until more info comes out but with the Gear S2, Samsung dropped the ball when it comes to voice functions. Stupid thing cant even do voice reminders and the voice recognition is substandard.

Ok cool so it's not just me thinking this then. Thx for the reply. I'll keep an eye on the S3, but it seems like Android Wear is where I probably need to look for what I want.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Compared to google now, s voice is horrible. I've had a gear s, gear s2, and most Samsung note devices.

BUT, the gear s2 is still a great device. I wear it every day.

bstarr3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just to weigh in, I've just returned my Huawei watch for an S2 classic. I haven't used Tizen, but wanted to try it out. If I like the experience, I'm going to return the S2 when the S3 comes out. I went with AW because I felt that the OK Google was just too useful to pass up on. In real life, though, I've found that I don't use voice commands very often. Honestly, when I do, it's great that it "just works," and I'll see if I get too frustrated with S Voice. But one thing that has annoyed me about android wear is the swiping-based interaction. Often when I look at my watch outside, because of the AMOLED screen, all I see is a black screen with a "T" shape of fingerprint smudges across it. Outside visibility is a limitation of these watches of course, but having to swipe all over the screen constantly has been irritating. I really like the idea of using the rotating bezel more to interact with the UI.
TL;DR: Google Now>>>>>>> S voice, but I, at least, don't actually use it enough for that to be the deciding factor.