Notification problems

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I am having notification issues between my AT&T Note 5 and my AT&T Gear S3 Frontier LTE. I have notifications enabled for multiple apps, the only notifications that actually make it to my watch are those that are pre-installed or self installed on the watch. The apps that are installed on the phone do not pass notifications to the watch even though they are enabled. Some examples include Gmail, Hangouts, Words With Friends, Google Calendar and Chamberlain (my gaarage door opener).

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this or what setting I am missing?

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I got a notification to download a gear manager update this morning. After the download, I had a hell of a time getting the watch to re-connect with my phone, but once it did I am now getting all my expected notifications. This problem seems to have resolved itslef.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm I am on AT&T w/my S3 Frontier and no updates here. Where did the update notification show up, on your phone or the S3?

Thanks!

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
It was a gear app update that appeared on my phone this morning. Not sure when it came out, I may have gotten an update that was released a while ago that I had not downloaded. I have only had this watch since Friday.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
It was a gear app update that appeared on my phone this morning. Not sure when it came out, I may have gotten an update that was released a while ago that I had not downloaded. I have only had this watch since Friday.

It's possible that was the update to enable Samsung Pay.

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Pay was already working prior to the update. If it tells you anything, according to the app on my Note 5, I am on:

Samsung Gear

Gear S Plugin

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Can you get calendar apt notifications when the watch and phone are not connected to each other? I can't have my phone at work, but still need to have my calendar apts notify me.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm I am on AT&T w/my S3 Frontier and no updates here. Where did the update notification show up, on your phone or the S3?

Thanks!

Hey pounder001!!!!! I wanted to ask you something since you're with AT&T. I'm having trouble receiving phone calls when my watch is disconnected from my phone and in standalone mode. When you disconnect your Gear S3 Frontier from your phone and put it in standalone mode can you receive phone calls? I went to an AT&T store yesterday and nobody could figure it out. I'm not receiving notifications on the watch either.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey pounder001!!!!! I wanted to ask you something since you're with AT&T. I'm having trouble receiving phone calls when my watch is disconnected from my phone and in standalone mode. When you disconnect your Gear S3 Frontier from your phone and put it in standalone mode can you receive phone calls? I went to an AT&T store yesterday and nobody could figure it out. I'm not receiving notifications on the watch either.

Why would you hijack this guys thread? You have an entire thread dedicated to your issues. I'm not trying to be mean, but you've done it a few times here. I think we're all guilty of it at some points, but you can't just go into non-related posts and take over. I understand he has AT&T but there were plenty of people on your post that has AT&T. If you want, reach out to him via PM.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Why would you hijack this guys thread? You have an entire thread dedicated to your issues. I'm not trying to be mean, but you've done it a few times here. I think we're all guilty of it at some points, but you can't just go into non-related posts and take over. I understand he has AT&T but there were plenty of people on your post that has AT&T. If you want, reach out to him via PM.

Are you serious? Calm down dude. I'm not hijacking anyone's thread and I'm not taking over. I just asked him a simple question. Geez!!!! Don't get so butt hurt. I just thought he might be able to help since nobody else has been able to figure it out. This is a thread for notifications is it not? I'm having issues with receiving notifications on my watch as well.

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
OK, not a solution but I have figured out a way to reproduce my problem regularly.

If I reboot the watch while it is in bluetooth range to my phone, I get all my notifications. If I leave bluetooth range with the watch, when I come back in range and it connects again I no longer get all notifications. This only happens if I have numbersync turned on when I leave bluetooth range. If I turn numbersync off, I get a remote connection and then reconnect via bluetooth I still get messages.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
OK, not a solution but I have figured out a way to reproduce my problem regularly.

If I reboot the watch while it is in bluetooth range to my phone, I get all my notifications. If I leave bluetooth range with the watch, when I come back in range and it connects again I no longer get all notifications. This only happens if I have numbersync turned on when I leave bluetooth range. If I turn numbersync off, I get a remote connection and then reconnect via bluetooth I still get messages.

You should report that to Samsung.. Seriously.. Gear app / help / contact us

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I did and they told me to take it to my nearest Best Buy with a Samsung Experience booth.

Best Buy told me to take it to AT&T.

AT&T told me to contact Samsung.

AT&T has resolved most issues I have ever had, Samsung tech support is worthless...

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I did and they told me to take it to my nearest Best Buy with a Samsung Experience booth.

Best Buy told me to take it to AT&T.

AT&T told me to contact Samsung.

AT&T has resolved most issues I have ever had, Samsung tech support is worthless...

Interesting. Samsung is saying it's a carrier issue however your description seems like a Samsung software issue.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
It only happens when I enable NumberSync, I thought that was an AT&T service.

It is. It's just that the interaction your describe seems to have to do with areas that would be under the control of the tizen OS.. If you said number sync wasn't working as expected that sound be a carrier issue but the weird interactions with bt and notifications I would think would be independent of the carrier /LTE and even number sync. All just speculation though, so I'll stop. Just don't let Samsung off the hook until you have it resolved :)

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

Good question? I am not sure I have any good information for you but I will share what I have noticed
I never disconnect on purpose but I still do get texts and emails when I am outside of BT range of my S7 edge when on standalone. I did notice that when I am outside of the BT range, that standalone does come up automatically along w/ATT if I have service, which the majority of times I do.
I am always linked via Numbersync and it appears that it automatically goes to standalone mode without my intervention

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Good question? I am not sure I have any good information for you but I will share what I have noticed
I never disconnect on purpose but I still do get texts and emails when I am outside of BT range of my S7 edge when on standalone. I did notice that when I am outside of the BT range, that standalone does come up automatically along w/ATT if I have service, which the majority of times I do.
I am always linked via Numbersync and it appears that it automatically goes to standalone mode without my intervention

Hmm that's strange. When I disconnect the watch from my phone and put it in standalone mode and have someone call me the call shows up on my phone and not the watch.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
For those with the AT&T version, when NumberSync is connected, calls and notifications pass thro and caller ID is preserved. So why use BT? Is there anything that can be done on BT that can't be done via remote connect?