Watch Display while running

yoggee

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I just took the S3 for a run this afternoon. I wore my Garmin Forerunner as a comparison.

1) Display only shows time and HR. Is there a way to show time and KM ran? Used to looking at the Garmin and see the results immediately.

2) I had the 1km notification vibration nudge turned on. Is there a way to turn off the speaker?

My S3 showed 500m disparity with my Garmin. When I was at my usual 1.5km spot, it nudges that I just ran 1km. I read in another post that the watch needs more sampling. Hope that's true. From S-Health, the tracking cuts a few corners on the route. But I'm glad that the Frontier is not too heavy to run with, and I'm a woman.

sjfwhite

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I was going to do my run outside tonight but there was too much slush. Decided to run on the treadmill instead. No estimation of distance. Either I have to get less compulsive or swap with my Fenix 3 whenever I exercise....

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
When I start a run I already have my distance preset. So when I start, the countdown from 3 to 0 takes place. The run is now being tracked. For seeing the information, turn the bezel. From all the way left and turning the bezel right, there is current music, a multi-info screen showing clock, time of run, distance, calories, and heart rate when the run is paused, next is the run duration screen, distance, then calories, pace, speed, cadence, and heart rate. All those screens display current heart rate as well.

Last edited:

yoggee

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much for the info, ehosey2 but those information is only available after the run, including the run tracked on the map. I saw that in the data log or something. I just want two fields of info showing on the watch while running: distance and time.

daveofgray

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Good question. Also, does the Gear S3 give any indication of when the GPS has locked on? I just did my first run with mine, and managed to chop off the first km or so...

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
@yoggee

That info can be displayed DURING a run. I have already logged several runs and for example, if I am feeling fatigued I can look at the current distance and tell myself to continue to the next rounded mile or continue until reaching a certain elapsed time.

In S Health on my Note5, I have a 4 mile run pre-set so on the Gear S3, I access the Running widget. I tap it and the count down from 3 to 0 takes place and I begin the run. As you turn the bezel all of the info is displayed, page by page. Swiping the screen to the right does this as well. The map detailing the route though is displayed after finishing.

Edit: After reading again what you wanted, yes the distance and time are not displayed simultaneously. Each page has heart rate displayed at the bottom, but current info is accessible during the run.

Last edited:

yoggee

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
daveofgray, I didn't really check when I did my first run. When I checked S Health later, I saw that the first 50m was cut off on the map - it showed I ran through someone's house :) , and my total distance was at least 500m less than what my Garmin was telling me (I wore both watches to compare). Could try ehosey2's method of presetting distance first. Strange that in S Health on the phone, it detects & locks GPS first then you can start the countdown.

yoggee

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
ehosey2, thank you again. I will try your suggestion on my next run. At least with distance info accessible while running, this will be sufficient for me. How was your GPS accuracy? Does it get better with each run?

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Before using any Samsung Gear watches....had the Gear S2 3G previously....I always knew the distance I was running based on the blocks numbered on the boardwalk. Example: 16 blocks averaged 1 mile, with some blocks a little shorter and some a little longer. Based on that information I see that the Gear S3 I use now is pretty accurate distance wise, more so than the Gear S2. The map route is also accurate to where I physically ran, which is essentially 1 big loop....out and back. Overall, I am quite pleased with the experience. I never had any other fitness watches to compare to though.

yoggee

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The GPS on my first run was crazy. Look how it crossed entire houses, The final distance was 1km less compared with my Garmin. I double checked on Google maps on the distance and it's on par with the Garmin. Don't have the opportunity to run with the S3 again yet.

Screenshots_2016-12-22-17-29-13.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma