Gear S3 on Verizon

sealuva

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
So I lost my Gear S which I loved and would like to replace it with an S3. What the heck is taking Verizon so long to carry it? I do not want an LG watch. I like having the LTE chip in it as well but no word yet. Anyone out there have any news?

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I just went out and got a WiFi version, I got sick of waiting. I don't think they are ever going to release it on Verizon.....

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
A Verizon version of the S3 has made the requisite appearance at the FCC. This is encouraging news. But those who are saying when don't know, and those who know when aren't saying.
https://www.sammobile.com/2017/02/14/gear-s3-frontier-for-verizon-stops-by-the-fcc/

The watch and phone don't have to be on the same network. AT&T has a wearable plan only as an add on, but T-Mobile has a standalone wearable plan for $15/mo. I got tired of waiting and got the AT&T version. If/when Verizon starts carrying it, I'll buy it and sell my current one.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Dependding on your plan (T-Mobile) they are offering a third line free which makes the wearable line free. also with DIGITS Beta you can share the same number that you use on your DD....

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I might do the same, when the Verizon version comes out I'll sell my WiFi model and get it. I still have my gear S turned on, I'll just use the phone number for that and sell that one too.

sealuva

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I can't believe we are about to be in April and still no word on the Gear s3 either variant. This is stupid already. I would like to get a new watch but don't want the AW watches. WTH!!!

Ytaay

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Verizon says the launch of the S3 Frontier LTE is delayed... but it IS coming

Last edited:

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Every day that passes reenforces that I made the right decision back in December when I decided to go cross carrier rather than wait. At the time, I anticipated taking a $50 - 75 hit to replace a 1 or 2 month old watch when the Verizon​ version was released. But now it's so late, I'll probably just keep it until it's time to upgrade to the S4 (or AW).

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
The tail can't wag this dog... Seems like Verizon needs its linked number offer available before it wants to offer the watch and I bet the holdup has been on that part.. Look at the issues on the other carriers.. Can't fault Verizon for wanting to get it to work although would have been nice to have both watch and Verizon's feature available at the same time.

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it looks like it is on their website now! Anyone know how much they charge for smartwatch plans and if there is an estimate of when it will be available?

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
A wearable line is $5/mo as an add on and $15/mo as a single line.

Oh ok that is not bad at all. Do they make you sign a 2 year contract or is it just month to month payments on the device like everything else now?
Deciding if I want to return my S3 classic to get the LTE version. Is it worth it? How often would you really not have your phone with you? This also assumes verizon will release it within a month and not in a few months from now...

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Oh ok that is not bad at all. Do they make you sign a 2 year contract or is it just month to month payments on the device like everything else now?
Deciding if I want to return my S3 classic to get the LTE version. Is it worth it? How often would you really not have your phone with you? This also assumes verizon will release it within a month and not in a few months from now...
If you pay full price for the watch, there is no contract, so service can be cancelled at will.

I rarely carry a traditional phone (I prefer tablets) so I require LTE, but I'm atypical.Before I had a smartwatch, I missed calls because my phone was I a different room of the house than I was. There were places (like the gym) where I didn't want to take my phone. There were times I accidentally left my phone behind and had to go back and get it. If you're one of those people who keep their phone within arms reach 24/7, the BT only model may work for you.

The week Verizon releases the S3, my AT&T variant will be put on Craigslist. But I'm not holding my breath...