New Under Armour apps, user experience?

xman1102

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
I had the Gear S3 at launch and loved pretty much everything about the watch, EXCEPT for the fitness tracking.

I thought S Health was awful for run and hike tracking.

I've been using Endomondo for years on my mobile and it does everything I want it to do. So now that the Under Armour apps are released, I'm seriously considering buying another Frontier.

What are everyone's experience thus far with the apps? Are they similar to the mobile as far as functionality is concerned?

And lastly, will they work on NON Galaxy phones? I was a bit ticked when I had the Gear S3 that I couldn't use Uber on my non Galaxy mobile. Will these indeed work on any Android phone?

castone001

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Frontier/att provider with galaxy S7 edge
I'm m a die hard Endomondo fan for years. When the app became avail on gear s3 I was thrilled. The GPS lock tends to take some time for some but mine has been pretty instant. I have tracked walks/hikes/weight training and even driving for the heck of it. So far it's pretty slick. The heart rate is close enough for my needs, if you want that to be spot on you should use a chest strap.
Tracking seems to be to pretty close as well. I don't track steps/floors climbed so cant speak to that.
I only get a good 10 to 12 hours of battery though so I plan accordingly.
I use the watch mostly for Endomondo, email and text notification as well as phone call forwarding.

xman1102

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Frontier/att provider with galaxy S7 edge
I'm m a die hard Endomondo fan for years. When the app became avail on gear s3 I was thrilled. The GPS lock tends to take some time for some but mine has been pretty instant. I have tracked walks/hikes/weight training and even driving for the heck of it. So far it's pretty slick. The heart rate is close enough for my needs, if you want that to be spot on you should use a chest strap.
Tracking seems to be to pretty close as well. I don't track steps/floors climbed so cant speak to that.
I only get a good 10 to 12 hours of battery though so I plan accordingly.
I use the watch mostly for Endomondo, email and text notification as well as phone call forwarding.
Sounds pretty similar to my needs. Thank you.

Do you know if these apps work on non Galaxy phones?

jchwila

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Gear Endomondo app works in standalone mode only. It will do with any android phone.
Insise phone app there is no way to customize. In addition once you start activity on the watch you won't see that it is in progress looking at your phone

guitareth

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I'd suggest you check out this thread on the XDA forums:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gear-s3/themes/myfitnesspal-endomondo-map-run-t3566138

Personally, I love the display on MapMy Run for th3 Gear S3, BUT (as you will read in the thread) I have not been able to successfuly track a whole workout once as yet. This is because the app on the S3 keeps locking up part way through. A recent poster has suggested that notifications interfere with any such tracking apps on Tizen devices, but that needs to be confirmed at this time. Either way, it's very frustrating. I'm hoping to report my own problems with MapMy Run directly to Under Armour soon, so If I get a resolution I will post it here.

perrochingon

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had a good experience with any of these apps for cycling? I currently use the default S Health app but have been wanting to try one of the UA apps. Just not sure if any of them support cycling or if they would be any better than the S Health app.

xman1102

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Pretty much a mixed bag as far as user experience thus far with the UA apps.

I did pick up the new Garmin Fenix 5X and it kicks major *** for activity tracking. The smartphone functions are less than desirable, but for tracking running, it's second to none.

castone001

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
on my gear I can start the walkk/hike/weight training and then go into the app on the gear and see times, HR etc.? im happy with it so far and the stand alone is exactly what ive been waiting for. I can leave my phone home on short hikes/runs.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I do like the general UA app. I was able to track my run without my phone and the GPS was right on. What I am having problems with is syncing steps/exercises correctly. The fragmentation of the health apps is tough (what reads/writes what to each app) to get right

guitareth

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I'd suggest you check out this thread on the XDA forums:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gear-s3/themes/myfitnesspal-endomondo-map-run-t3566138

Personally, I love the display on MapMy Run for th3 Gear S3, BUT (as you will read in the thread) I have not been able to successfuly track a whole workout once as yet. This is because the app on the S3 keeps locking up part way through. A recent poster has suggested that notifications interfere with any such tracking apps on Tizen devices, but that needs to be confirmed at this time. Either way, it's very frustrating. I'm hoping to report my own problems with MapMy Run directly to Under Armour soon, so If I get a resolution I will post it here.

Yesterday I reported to Under Armour support my ongoing problems with MapMy Run stopping tracking and locking up/ They have responded as follows:

Thanks for writing. We are aware of this issue that you are experiencing and we hope to have the problem taken care of soon. Your software appears to be updated, and we will be introducing a MapMyRun update soon. I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you and thank you for your patience while we troubleshoot and attempt to eliminate the problem.