Should I switch from Android Wear?

RustyFJ

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Had an Apple Watch until I switched to Android at the beginning of last year. Had a Huawei watch for about 6 months but it really isn't the same. The watch is due to get Android Wear 2.0 at some point but I've not read great things about the new version.

Has anyone switched from Android to the S3? Is it worth the switch? I have to say I like the look of the S3 Frontier.

bksalt

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I had the Microsoft band for a couple of years and very happy buy they discontinued support. With lots of research I bought the Gear S3 and have been very pleased with it, seems they [samsung] have got it almost perfect still needs a few tweaks but very good at this point better than I expected. I have had it about 6 months and very pleased with it. By the way it is hooked up to my Samsung galaxy S6.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I grabbed the S3 Frontier the other day after switching from iPhone 7 + with Apple Watch to the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus... It used to be disappointing how far behind in customization options Tizen (Gear Watches) were in comparison to Android Wear...

The watch itself and the available faces have improved in great strides in my opinion. Give "Watchmaster" & "Facer" a shot! I love messing with the watch designer on Facer... I was comparing the overall design of the available smart watches and it might be just me, but most Android Wear watches just seem cheap in appearance compared to the newest Gear S3 Frontier.

I love mine... That is all! Hope it helps. :cool:

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I still think Android Wear is more integrated and 2.0 is looking good. The problem is there aren't a lot of 2.0 options out there and the upgrades to 2.0 on older watches has been disappointing and slow.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I switched on Friday. My Urbane 2's mic had stopped working for the third time and I have yet to find more than two or three features of the entire 2.0 update that are not horrible. I pretty much think that the entire UI overhaul is horrible and badly thought out.

Today was my first full day using it and I need to look over my battery usage, because it only lasted me around 15 hours. The closer that I can get it to a full 24, the better. I don't sleep with a watch, so I just charge it while I am asleep.

I have to admit that it is growing on me. It looks a lot more like a nice watch. I tested it with a friend who has hated my previous models because they don't look like a real watch. She really liked it with the watch face I had on at the time. I think that the UI is relatively clean, in a classic kind of way.

RustyFJ

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hmm... part of the problem is there aren't any Android 2.0 watches I can play with as they haven't launched any of the new watches in the U.K yet. I've watched various YouTube videos and I've been quite underwhelmed. That, coupled with reports of existing watches running slower after the update has made me think long and hard about switching.

I placed an order for the S3 frontier today. What clinched it was getting a discount on the already discounted price through my work discount programme. I'll let you know how I get on!

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... part of the problem is there aren't any Android 2.0 watches I can play with as they haven't launched any of the new watches in the U.K yet. I've watched various YouTube videos and I've been quite underwhelmed. That, coupled with reports of existing watches running slower after the update has made me think long and hard about switching.

I placed an order for the S3 frontier today. What clinched it was getting a discount on the already discounted price through my work discount programme. I'll let you know how I get on!

Well, even in the US, AW 2.0 watches are hard to find. The LG Sport is out of stock in most places and the LG Style is getting poor battery reviews.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Well, even in the US, AW 2.0 watches are hard to find. The LG Sport is out of stock in most places and the LG Style is getting poor battery reviews.

Unfortunately, my LG experience over the past year or so has been very disappointing. I am glad to finally be free of any LG mobile hardware, even though it has been a costly experience.

It's going to be a very long time until I get an LG device again.

rinkeedink

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you're in the Samsung ecosystem youll get the best compatibility with it. Also I tried the moto 360 and returned it, but that was almost 2 years ago. Tizen is limited in apps compared to Android wear but really the only thing I'm missing is a good podcast app for standalone. Love Tizen UI and rotating dial is genius.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased the Gear S3 Frontier yesterday. So far, I like the experience. I also like the fact that it looks like a real watch. I need to find a nice watch face as well. Once I find one I like I won't have any complaints.

RustyFJ

May 28, 2014
Visit site
So far I'm not regretting my purchase. I'm loving the rotating dial too, and I'm liking the workout auto-detection, step tracking, hourly prompts to get moving etc. I'd enjoy using S Health more if I had friends who used it as I like a bit of competition. ;-)

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So far I'm not regretting my purchase. I'm loving the rotating dial too, and I'm liking the workout auto-detection, step tracking, hourly prompts to get moving etc. I'd enjoy using S Health more if I had friends who used it as I like a bit of competition. ;-)

I've had a Microsoft Band, Microsoft Band 2, Garmin Fenix 3 HR and now the S3. The S3 by far blows the others away. I'm kinda like you, I think most of my friends are in the Apple ecosystem.

Last edited:

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I used to really miss Keep and kept doing back to Android Wear because of it, but since Google messed up and removed the shopping list from Keep and put it in Home then there was no reason to stray from the S3 any more.

Kirk Maluo

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about giving up on the S3 and getting an LG Sport. I'd really like Google Now support and Google Play Music from my watch. I love Samsung Pay and the hardware though, just tired of the lack of software.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about giving up on the S3 and getting an LG Sport. I'd really like Google Now support and Google Play Music from my watch. I love Samsung Pay and the hardware though, just tired of the lack of software.

Yeah, Tizen is "lonley" for me and despite it's quirks, I decided to stay with Android Wear and 2.0. I wanted a LG Sport but the battery life stories and lack of availability had me try out a Huawei Watch 2 Sport. Smaller screen but runs AW 2.0 great and battery life (turning off some things), is great.

Last edited:

Kirk Maluo

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, Tizen is "lonley" for me and despite it's quirks, I decided to stay with Android Wear and 2.0. I wanted a LG Sport but the battery life stories and lack of availability had me try out a Huaweu Watch 2 Sport. Smaller screen but runs AW 2.0 great and battery life (turning off some things), is great.
Forgot about the great S3 battery life. Maybe I'll wait until Google figures out their battery drain. BTW, what kind of apps have standalone support on Android Wear 2.0? Do you know if Google Play Music works?

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Forgot about the great S3 battery life. Maybe I'll wait until Google figures out their battery drain. BTW, what kind of apps have standalone support on Android Wear 2.0? Do you know if Google Play Music works?

That's true about the S3 battery life. Let me play around with Google Play Music on my Huawei Watch 2 Sport and let you know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463