New owner, battery lost 90% overnight in 9 hrs. How to troubleshoot?

thomasbihn

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I bought this watch a couple days ago. It seemed to hold its charge well but some app or function I enabled must be draining it terribly.

I charged it to 100% last night at about 11 PM. Nine hours later at 8 AM, it alerted me that it was at 10%.

I like the idea of using it for sleep tracking, so wore it to bed. I have AOD set to off and brightness at 1%.

I'm currently charging it. Any troubleshooting tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Go into gear app on your phone and click on the battery 🔋 icon it will tell you what's draining your battery, mine just went down more than normal and it said the weather app was the issue, so I turned off auto update don't use weather on my watch anyway

thomasbihn

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Go into gear app on your phone and click on the battery 🔋 icon it will tell you what's draining your battery, mine just went down more than normal and it said the weather app was the issue, so I turned off auto update don't use weather on my watch anyway
I completely missed the battery section. On my gear app it's just a circle with a percentage. It shows stopwatch at 23%. Huh

thomasbihn

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Update: I charged it to 100%. Interestingly enough, the wireless charger never turned green. In a little over an hour it's down 12% with minimal usage.

The battery usage according to Samsung gear is the Samsung Health app. I have not been active today.

This is one of the reasons I wanted the watch, so it will annoy me if using it means I won't get through the day. Any suggestions on how to optimize it so I can at least just charge it once a day?

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Not sure what's up there, try restarting the watch, I average about 2 1/2 days on a charge, medium use lots of Samsung Pay some S Health for Dailey walks, preview email, text, calls, been on my wrist 3 hours today short run clocked on S health one purchase SP a couple text and time preview, did half to turn weather back on to hourly update didn't realize affected my phone too.
And I'm at %97.
You might need to exchange the watch

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
You shouldn't need to do much. I get about 1% battery usage per hour and my phone is usually in BT range. That is with everything but AOD turned on.

If I'm really messing with it or in a workout session it might go 10% in an hour.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Did you stop the stopwatch? You can go to all apps and kill the process from there. Or just stop it from the app if that is the problem.

thomasbihn

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Not sure what's up there, try restarting the watch, I average about 2 1/2 days on a charge, medium use lots of Samsung Pay some S Health for Dailey walks, preview email, text, calls, been on my wrist 3 hours today short run clocked on S health one purchase SP a couple text and time preview, did half to turn weather back on to hourly update didn't realize affected my phone too.
And I'm at %97.
You might need to exchange the watch
I can't find how to restart the watch outside of doing a factory reset.

thomasbihn

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Hold down the second button. A screen should pop up giving you the option to power off.
Thanks. Immediately after doing that, it went down only 3% in an hour, but then it dropped from 61 to 16 in about 4.3 hours, which is about the same rate as before.

Samsung told me i might try disabling Wi-Fi and voice activated s voice and then see if a refresh at best buy works.

If it doesn't, they said I can send it in for repair

thomasbihn

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Did you charge it fully before first use?
I bought it off someone that only used it three times, but I did fully charge it as soon as I got it. The first full day it lasted longer.

I'm wondering if turning on Wi-Fi or location services is a bad idea now. I'll find out...

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
You shouldn't have to disable anything, maby that person sold it for a reason, I used mine all day and with weather set to refresh every hour and a bunch of kids that thought it was fun to keep changing the watch face, had to remind them it's not a toy, everything enabled I ended up at %86 after 12hrs

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the LTE or the BT model? The cellular radio can be very hard on the battery, especially where there's a poor signal. Third party watch faces can also drain the battery very quickly.

You may want to start from scratch. Do a factory reset, don't install any apps or watch faces and monitor how the battery performs for a couple of days. If it's still bad then there's a problem with the watch. If it's ok then you know is caused by a rogue app.

thomasbihn

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Do you have the LTE or the BT model? The cellular radio can be very hard on the battery, especially where there's a poor signal. Third party watch faces can also drain the battery very quickly.

You may want to start from scratch. Do a factory reset, don't install any apps or watch faces and monitor how the battery performs for a couple of days. If it's still bad then there's a problem with the watch. If it's ok then you know is caused by a rogue app.
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll try that today to see rather than unloading one at a time.

Last night, I set Wi-Fi to only be on when the phone is out of BT range.

I had Sleep as Android running even after my last change and it went from 99% just after charging at 11:24 pm to 80% at 8:32 AM, so about 9 hrs for 19%.

It's interesting that sleep as Android didn't even register on the usage summary even though it was active all night. Not even 0%.

I am pretty sure Wi-Fi was a main issue. If anyone else that has had excellent battery life would be willing to turn Wi-Fi on always and see how much a difference it makes, I'd appreciate it. If you see significant draining with it, it tells me my Wi-Fi isn't necessarily abnormally causing a larger than normal drain. If it turns out it is not having an impact, I should send it in with that info.

Thanks

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I bought this watch a couple days ago. It seemed to hold its charge well but some app or function I enabled must be draining it terribly.

I charged it to 100% last night at about 11 PM. Nine hours later at 8 AM, it alerted me that it was at 10%.

I like the idea of using it for sleep tracking, so wore it to bed. I have AOD set to off and brightness at 1%.

I'm currently charging it. Any troubleshooting tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

I had a similar issue the other day. I had forgotten to put my watch into DND when I went to bed. I think throughout the night as I moved, my watch face was turning on due to the "gestures on" setting. One of the reasons I like these smart watches are the sleep tracking. Maybe the same thing happened to you? I've noticed that as long as I put the watch into DND, my battery throughout the night doesn't completely drain.

I switch watch faces daily. Sometimes I have AOD turned on, sometimes it's off. It varies from day to day. Some faces are from Facer, some from the Gear store.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll try that today to see rather than unloading one at a time.

Last night, I set Wi-Fi to only be on when the phone is out of BT range.

I had Sleep as Android running even after my last change and it went from 99% just after charging at 11:24 pm to 80% at 8:32 AM, so about 9 hrs for 19%.

It's interesting that sleep as Android didn't even register on the usage summary even though it was active all night. Not even 0%.

I am pretty sure Wi-Fi was a main issue. If anyone else that has had excellent battery life would be willing to turn Wi-Fi on always and see how much a difference it makes, I'd appreciate it. If you see significant draining with it, it tells me my Wi-Fi isn't necessarily abnormally causing a larger than normal drain. If it turns out it is not having an impact, I should send it in with that info.

Thanks

I would be willing to try out the experiment this weekend. I have had mine set to Auto On which is how it came by default. I also have NFC on and GPS set to GPS and wireless. I'm always on BT unless out on a run so WiFi should be off most of the time.

19% in 9 hours seems high still but I haven't used Sleep as Android. I may give that a try as well. I just let S Health track sleep. With DND on and sleeping I get 1% per hour.

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
My 1 month old BT version gear S3 frontier was running phenomenal getting 3+ days battery life easily and then there was an update just a few days ago to the weather application. That evening my watch dropped almost 30% overnight off my wrist. I went into the gear app on my s8+ to look at battery and the weather was showing 50% usage. Normally it's just watch faces that are that high. Since that update it really hasn't been running as smoothly and battery just keeps declining more rapidly.
So it looks to be that small weather app update. I know it was that application update because I shut off automatic updates. For anyone with auto update on you may not know if an application is causing issues.
Hopefully the Developers at Samsung are experiencing the same thing and will push out an update fast.