My QUICK REVIEW on the Intercept...

wphend00

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone...and many of its aspects...

I have read many posters on a lot of boards state that the Moment is Better...

Basically they use the exact same hardware... same memory layout, same CPU, amount of keys... but that is where the similarities end.

The Moment has a nice AMOLED screen...which is 3.2 inches in size.
The Moment has a nice LOUD speakerphone, and a larger speaker grill on the front.
I had the pleasure of purchasing a brandnew Moment with 2.1 on it, and quickly rooted the phone and installed one of the better roms with JIT components, from SDX Developers. I like the Moment enough. Coming from an EPIC 4G there were some pro's and cons. But there where little "naunces" that bugged me.

-the Keyboard was flat out AWFUL. I have big hands, so the recessed keys and the placement of the rows... was just flat out AWFUL in comparrison to my dearly departed Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, and Mogul

-I have a 1 hour drive to and from work... so it was very important for me to be able to use the DATA connection at a continous rate, for Pandora and Slacker. With the Moment... this was not possible... as the dreaded "Data death" would always prompt me to either enable wifi and connect the unit to a nearby Wi-fi router (not easily done on the highway), or power off the device and power it back on.

-The screen, every now and then, more now, than then, would just degrade in responsiveness. Having to continually swipe just to get over to a nother home screen, proved to be very frustrating...

-The GPS was slow... very slow to initialize

So, on to the Intercept.
The intercept is like a Fraternal, not identical, but fraternal twin brother\sister to the Moment. You have the bulky fat twin with crooked teeth, the Moment, and the nicer looking skinny twin...with beautiful teeth (Intercept).

-Intercept's screen is not as nice looking as the Moments, and the resolutotion, to some, leaves much to be desired... at 200x400, but it's LCD and more viewable in direct sunlight than on the Moment's...

-When you are not using the wireless services on the INtercept, it is more reponsive than the Moment. Using EVDO Rev 0 is not as bad as many would think. It feels just as fast and downloads as quickly as the Moment's EVDO REV A. Yet, as stated before... when you download files... from the app store... there is a pause, throughout hte whole system... sometimes, when those apps go to install.

-I love the slim and light feel of the device in hand... the Moment felt like my wife's Samsung Exclaim... heavy... and like a dumbphone, yet sturdy...

-I have yet to really use the optical pad on EITHER phone...
-The camera on the Intercept loads up and SHOOTS 100x faster than the one on the Moment. Pictures, for a 3.2 shooter, on a phone, look beautiful in medium light. Video looks respectable despite being less than VGA...video... You can take my word... the camera is a tad bit better in PQ than the Moment's camera.
-As many have noticed... the capacitive buttons fall asleep when not in use, and thus, have to be woken back up, using the optical pad.

-In regards to the overall feel and movement of the OS... Right now... coming from a Moment... the OS feels a little less smooth, only in that the Moment had the JIT compiler installed in the ROM I was using... and had many roms to choose from, all of which were customized. And YET, Android 2.2 should, could, and WOULD be provided for the Intercept...
-It might be just my preference, but I like the NEW stock lockscreen on the intercept, better than the slide over one...on the Moment
-So far, I have not seen any issues, in regards to game playing...and the smaller 240x400 screen. But then again, my game playing is not spectacular, by any means...
-Intercept has multitouch, which is missing from the Moment's Touch capacitive screen.
-The GPS is a lot more responsive, and I am happy to say, no more internet restarts for the Intercept.
So in MANY ways the Intercept is an upgrade (Keyboard, camera, os upgradeability, mulit-touch, Samsung Support) in other ways (ROM commuity support, rooting, durability, screen) it is a downgrade...

All in all, this phone is going to my wife, when the EPIC is released and I will be all over the EPIC...but it is a very good starter Android phone for the casual and not POWER android user.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781