gingerbread 2.3

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's very unlikely that we'll see an official release of Gingerbread for the Intercept. Unofficially, someone may cook up a rom that's based on GB. :)

unwiredmedic

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This is most likely Samsung and VM/Sprint's fault, not Google Android. The proprietary software bloatware is so thick it takes almost 3 minutes to turn the stupid device on, then when leaving apps back to the home screen it can take up to 30 seconds to see your icons. At least the device now responds fast enough to answer calls before they go to voicemail. Seeing other brand devices running Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread next to the Samsung devices and hearing the concensus among those who have abandoned Samsung, it is also quite apparent the problem is not with the phone's specs. My Nook Color beats the Intercept hands down with the same processor power.

I expect Samsung has already moved on from the "inexpensive" Intercept to the heftier and newer gen devices. I have yet to see any phone company maintain a model past one major update, and most don't even go that far. I hope they'll prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath. Even if they do, Samsung had Froyo ready in December and four months later, Sprint, then VM released it in curiously small quantities to random owners.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
One of the big issues with the Intercept is that it does not have a dedicated gpu, so anything that's on the screen, uses cpu cycles. This slows things down. Not to mention that the 800mhz processor in the intercept is actually older, and therefore about the same real world speed as the 500mhz processor in the original Droid. Clock speed is only a very small part of processor performance. How much it can do each cycle (mhz) means much more. So the Droid processor can do nearly 2x as much per cycle, so at say 450mhz, it can do the same amount of work per second as the Intercept @800mhz. Just sayin'. And with the low amount of ram and flash memory, larger OS's like Gingerbread just don't fit as well.

unwiredmedic

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
@ratsttam: Thanks for clarifying. Is this why the LG Optimus seems to run faster than the Intercept with a 600MHz processor?

This just shows me why I shouldn't have saved a few bucks :-(

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
@ratsttam: Thanks for clarifying. Is this why the LG Optimus seems to run faster than the Intercept with a 600MHz processor?

This just shows me why I shouldn't have saved a few bucks :-(

That is EXACTLY why the Optimus feels much faster. The 600mhz processor can do more per cycle than our 800mhz, the dedicated GPU further lightens its load, and of course, having a full 512mb ram, instead of the 196 that we have... things are just smoother. Yes, we get what we pay for, and not all Android phones are created equal.

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
:D

Gingerbread or Honeycomb porting to Intercept may not happen. However, Android Ice Cream Sandwich promises to end the fragmentation (It is supposed to work on all hardware configurations - old and new). If it is Open Source as Google is promising then the we can hope about someone coming up with an ICS port to Intercept.

:D

jSterling

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe vm is still selling this phone, I had it and couldn't believe how slow it was...

Sent from my Optimus V running IHO Android 2.3.7

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs