Samsung Moment battery life

cocotazo245

Nov 29, 2009
www.facebook.com
I have very excellent battery life on mine but for those who aren't getting good results, I am convinced it's a software issue and not an issue with the battery. Several times I have let my phone charge to 100% over night, remove it from the charger and 5 minutes later, without any usage at all, it will drop to 90%. At this time, I turn off the phone and restart it in test mode, (hold send>center>power off) and when you test the battery it will still show 100%. Clearly, the readings don't match the hardware and software.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I did what was suggested in these forums and a couple of others. Run down the battery all the way twice, and recharge, in those instances with the phone off. It worked miracles. But even before that, the phone got down to 15% faster than you would expect, but getting it below 15% was a hard job - with videos playing from the Internet, radio, etc. And once it gets below 15%, it goes to power save mode, so you can't play Sprint TV, but you can still play youtube videos. It took me an hour and a half of constant youtube videos to actually get the phone to shut down.

After I did this twice, the battery indicator is working much better. It still drops to 90% and 80% quickly, but then it doesn't want to drop below that even with heavy call volume, a good amount of texting and a little bit of web. I can get it down, but it takes effort.

itsall4tay

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
My wife started on her Moment at 7a.m. And I just scheduled the last appointment on it five minutes ago at 1:28 a.m. And we talked for about 2 hrs. today and I know she was on it with her sister for 2 hours. So I guess battery life depends on your phone. If you want a Moment, it is really cool and it will impress. Don't let the forum scare you.

ballroomdru

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I am glad to find out that the Samsung moment contimues the Samsung tradition of a VERY conservative battery metter. I will try what is suggested here for calibrating my battery and reply back with my results.

guy2kool

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
This worked for me~!!!

I found out that my battery keeps on reading inaccurately etc, and once you unplug it, it will go down to 90% or so in 5 minutes. This worked for me:

1.) Charge battery until it stops charging
2.) Take off the charger, THEN insert it again in about 10 seconds
3.) Allow it to charge until it's full (should only take about an hour)

This second charge will seem to calibrate the battery meter and the life of the battery. Hope this works for you as it did for me. LOVE THE PHONE~!!!!

ballroomdru

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I will try this tonight. Earlier today I got to 15% at home and decided to try to kill the battery. 90 minutes of phone calls later the phone finaly died.

This actually properly calibrates the battery metter?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I found out that my battery keeps on reading inaccurately etc, and once you unplug it, it will go down to 90% or so in 5 minutes. This worked for me:

1.) Charge battery until it stops charging
2.) Take off the charger, THEN insert it again in about 10 seconds
3.) Allow it to charge until it's full (should only take about an hour)

This second charge will seem to calibrate the battery meter and the life of the battery. Hope this works for you as it did for me. LOVE THE PHONE~!!!!
I'm trying something similar today. What I did was I charged last night up to 80% on the Wall Charger, then I turned the phone off hooked it up to the USB charger (with my laptop) and slow charge it over the night. It was charged in the morning. I turn the phone on and it drops to 90% right away. Yikes. Then it drops to 80, then 70% with a couple of hours. From 70-50, it took about 4 hours (see, as the reading goes down, the life "seems" to be improving). It was at 50% for about an hour and a half and I could not get it below that. I then hooked it up to the Wall charger. Usually my Wall charger charges the phone from 50% to "fully charged" in about 2 hours. This time, though, it took more than 3.5 hours! I took it off about an hour ago and it's still at 100%. This is a phone that would drop to 90% in about 5 minutes after taken off the charger and to 80% within 35-40 mins even if was on standby with GPS off the entire time. I have had 3 phone calls totaling about 20 minutes, 4 text messages in and 3 out, and a quick search on the Market for maybe 2 minutes. Other than that, standby, but I have GPS turned on. I won't say wow just yet, but almost wow!

So, there is no one method that works for everybody. What resets/fixes the battery meter software is anyone wild guess. But, on the other hand, regardless of how your battery life is, there are a few of things to notice here:
  1. Touch screen phones are very power intensive
  2. You essentially have a nano-laptop in your hand that does GPS and calling and a battery that's the fraction capacity that of a laptop.
  3. The phone is ridiculously easy to charge everywhere you go. Hook it up at home and hook up the USB at the office or in the car with a USB lighter. You can also get the little wall chargers in which you can hook up a USB cable.
  4. You can find a second battery (just in case) online for about $24.

ballroomdru

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm trying something similar today. What I did was I charged last night up to 80% on the Wall Charger, then I turned the phone off hooked it up to the USB charger (with my laptop) and slow charge it over the night. It was charged in the morning. I turn the phone on and it drops to 90% right away. Yikes. Then it drops to 80, then 70% with a couple of hours. From 70-50, it took about 4 hours (see, as the reading goes down, the life "seems" to be improving). It was at 50% for about an hour and a half and I could not get it below that. I then hooked it up to the Wall charger. Usually my Wall charger charges the phone from 50% to "fully charged" in about 2 hours. This time, though, it took more than 3.5 hours! I took it off about an hour ago and it's still at 100%. This is a phone that would drop to 90% in about 5 minutes after taken off the charger and to 80% within 35-40 mins even if was on standby with GPS off the entire time. I have had 3 phone calls totaling about 20 minutes, 4 text messages in and 3 out, and a quick search on the Market for maybe 2 minutes. Other than that, standby, but I have GPS turned on. I won't say wow just yet, but almost wow!

So, there is no one method that works for everybody. What resets/fixes the battery meter software is anyone wild guess. But, on the other hand, regardless of how your battery life is, there are a few of things to notice here:
  1. Touch screen phones are very power intensive
  2. You essentially have a nano-laptop in your hand that does GPS and calling and a battery that's the fraction capacity that of a laptop.
  3. The phone is ridiculously easy to charge everywhere you go. Hook it up at home and hook up the USB at the office or in the car with a USB lighter. You can also get the little wall chargers in which you can hook up a USB cable.
  4. You can find a second battery (just in case) online for about $24.

I will have to try that charging at 50% trick at work tomorrow. Lets see if it works.

I get better results everyday so far.

ehands

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I did the test mode battery check, then while in that mode was stupid and checked the lcd backlight and it changed something which then led to my screen being darker then it used to be, I went back to test mode to try to correct the issue and it fixed for a moment but then went dimmer than usual again. On regular mode went to settings and backlight it is set to full. any help with this matter would be appreciated. i love this phone but that will be a problem almost as big as battery issue.

Ms.Byrd

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks soooooo much for all the tips and suggestions. I killed my battery for two days and charged it back up as directed and its the end of my work day and Im at 60% verses the 15% it was showing the first two days. YAY!!

xtremetx

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I found the FIX to this problem (Workaround)

The Samsung Moments battery life is due to the phone not being able to sleep.
Just like the HTC Hero, there is a background service running that prevents the phone from sleeping. Except that with the Hero it is the SMS. On the Samsung Moment it is the background data services.
Just like everyone else I would see a loss of 10 percent battery life in just 10 minutes. And then it would get worse from there. I started reading through these forums and looking through my phone and found that the "Background Data Sync" was on all the time. Not only was it on, but it was constantly using internet data to check and recheck everything from address book to email to updates. This constant activity rules the phone and it's battery depleting it completely.
To turn it off ... go to Menu on the home screen..choose settings..Data Synchronization...and then uncheck Background data.
I did this last night and tested my phone.. It has been 12 hours and the battery is still completely full.
Hopefully someone will make a widget for controlling the Background data sync. Something that you can turn it on and off with from the main screen.
Enjoy!

philjackson

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
The Samsung Moments battery life is due to the phone not being able to sleep.
Just like the HTC Hero, there is a background service running that prevents the phone from sleeping. Except that with the Hero it is the SMS. On the Samsung Moment it is the background data services.
Just like everyone else I would see a loss of 10 percent battery life in just 10 minutes. And then it would get worse from there. I started reading through these forums and looking through my phone and found that the "Background Data Sync" was on all the time. Not only was it on, but it was constantly using internet data to check and recheck everything from address book to email to updates. This constant activity rules the phone and it's battery depleting it completely.
To turn it off ... go to Menu on the home screen..choose settings..Data Synchronization...and then uncheck Background data.
I did this last night and tested my phone.. It has been 12 hours and the battery is still completely full.
Hopefully someone will make a widget for controlling the Background data sync. Something that you can turn it on and off with from the main screen.
Enjoy!

I'm not sure if that's a big problem. I always have my background data on and I have consistently good battery life. Granted it might be because not all of my applications are on push so it's only a select few that are calling back and forth throughout the day.

bigdaddynw5

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Back Light

Make sure you have the backlight set to Auto Brightness to do this: Home Screen>Settings>Sound and Display>under Display Settings, check Auto Brightness

musheylou444

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I saw the post about the battery life on the moment and my question for you is when you turn this setting on the phone off will you still get email updates?? or do you have to turn it on and off?? just curious! i dont want to turn something off that will make me not be able to get certain things in on my phone!

ranman

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
The best thing what I have found with the moment is if it is charged from computer or laptop esp not from the charger it works!!!Need to be drained and complete charge also market app battery indicator works good with it...For you tube to see in hd change it on the menu and more will get in hd...Great phone but not as iphone

buggyman

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
We drained my wifes moment completely now it wont take any kind of charge. NOTHING. Cant turn it on or anything. Two days old and it has gone into airplane mode, locked up completely, and now it wont take any kind of charge. I got the hero and not one problem. SHe so much LOVES the phone but I think it is going to be traded for the hero. Has anyone had it not take any charge at all? This phone is a great design but seems to have too many problems.

Ok went back and took out battery and put back in. Now it is taking a charge. Still pain in the neck.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey