1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Can anyone root a 2.1 after update or will it brick?

I now have the 2.1 update..
    Can you root to a sdk custom 2.1 rom, after you update....input will be appreciated thanks.

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

I believe so, just follow the instructions on the web.. I've done it, and it works great.

Yes it can be rooted.
    Running:
    Firmware- 2.1 Update 1
    Baseband- DE03
    Build-JoeyKrim SDX Final 2.0.1
    Root- Joeykrim v7
    Recovery- SDX 3.1.0a
    ProtectSU- Speedrabbit

It is very easy to root after 2.1. Just watch parts 1 and 2 of the vids "Samsung Moment 2.1 Rooting" on Youtube:

Kudos to Samsung for not locking their phone down like they do at HTC. Rooting the Moment was stupid easy.

I have updated to 2.1, and am looking to root. If I follow the videos posted above (after the update to 2.1 part), will I lose all my apps and customization that I have done? Or does adding the recovery and root part leave the rest alone?

Thanks,
    Dennis_H
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis_H View Post
    I have updated to 2.1, and am looking to root. If I follow the videos posted above (after the update to 2.1 part), will I lose all my apps and customization that I have done? Or does adding the recovery and root part leave the rest alone?

Thanks,
    Dennis_H
    You won't lose anything. Installing recovery and rooting will not wipe your data.

The quick and painless way would be to go to SDX download and flash forcycstos 3.1.1 recovery with the Sprint Update tool then flash JoeyKrims 2.0.3 kernel (which includes root) using the recovery. Data will remain intact. Recovery 3.1.1 includes many features as well as Apps2SD.

You can learn more at

This is the easiest method to date for rooting, adding WiFi hotspot, and Theming capabilities.