Might get a Moment

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking about getting the Samsung Moment from Sprint. I've been reading up about it on other forums and watching videos on youtube.com but I had a few questions before I went out and got one.

1. Customizing - There's a video on customizing the Moment but I haven't seen anything too in-depth about it. Am I able to totally customize the Home Screens like I can with my Tour? My OCD would call for me to have things in a certain order.....lol

2. App Space - I don't have THAT many apps on my Tour now but I'm always looking for new and exciting things to download!! Does the Moment have a good amount of internal memory?

3. Battery Life - Is it really an issue or has that been taken care of? I read here that some people no longer have it but then on other sites people still have the issue of it draining pretty fast.

4. Ringtones - What type of file does the Moment use? I've been making my own ringtones for a long time now and would rather not have to search out a site in hopes of finding a tone that I like.

5. Wallpapers - What size should the wallpapers be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JMusic

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
1. Can customize to your heart's content (some apps may be needed for more in-depth customization). I strongly suggest not using a home replacement on the moment because it seems to cause problems (I personally bricked my phone three times in the first week I had it, and the home replacements seemed to be the culprit).

2. Moment has as much or more than any other android phone out right now I think. Plenty to install a few dozen apps and then some.

3. Battery life sucks. There are some tricks to make it better, but it is never going to be great. This is the price of having a phone with a fast processor, nice screen, every form of wireless known to man, etc. I find that my phone will generally last through the day with moderate to heavy use, but certain apps (Guitar Hero World Tour...) will eat your battery alive.

4. MP3, ogg, wav, I don't think it's very picky.

5. 640x480 seems to work well. You get a crop option when setting wallpaper, so you can make almost anything work.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks JMusic!! I figured that for the battery issue, I always have chargers accessible (home, car, and work) so that might not be a big problem. As for apps I will be using Twitter and FB regularly as I do now with my Tour. I'm glad the Moment uses MP3 tones since I have a pretty big library already with my favorites there.

I think I'm going to save up and get the Moment as soon as I can.

prncssmelissa

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I love my moment - just having a few bugs to work out - once those are fixed, I'm good! I'm excited to have it and enjoying playing with it.

I've got two major issues - battery life (although it's getting better) and then randomly shutting down - but other than that, I'm in love with this phone!

I came from a BB Tour as well, and I don't regret the move...I get much better reception, fewer dropped calls, and an overall better phone!

Enjoy!

gdubmedia

Dec 14, 2009
www.g6music.net
Yea...the general consensus is the battery life sucks. But...apparently 2.x fixes this. I honestly don't think there's any reason NOT to get the Moment. It feels great in the hand, HW is sturdy, not cheap feeling (like my old phone, the Pre), the 1.5 Cupcake build is great on its own (but I would love 2.x right now. ha ha), the phone is snappy and quick. All around, a well balanced smart phone.

Comes highly recommended, as long as you know the bugs you'll get with it (that will all be ironed out with the 2.x update soon. Have fun with it!!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I'll be going to my local Best Buy on Friday to get the Moment (hopefully). I'm so excited and hope I get to purchase it. I saw a BB add showing the Moment for $129.99 for new and upgraded accounts. The sale ends on Saturday so I hope I can get it Friday.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I'll be going to my local Best Buy on Friday to get the Moment (hopefully). I'm so excited and hope I get to purchase it. I saw a BB add showing the Moment for $129.99 for new and upgraded accounts. The sale ends on Saturday so I hope I can get it Friday.

Ask them to price match Radio Shack which has it for $99 (I did, and got a secondary line for that price).

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Today is the day!! Gonna head to Best Buy after work and get the Moment. Not 100% sure if I wanna push for the price match since it seems kind of weird to me that I'm even due for an upgrade.

I got my plan in March last year and I did check the Sprint website and it did say I can extend to a 2-year contract with the new customer price. Kind of nervous.....lol

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Today is the day!! Gonna head to Best Buy after work and get the Moment. Not 100% sure if I wanna push for the price match since it seems kind of weird to me that I'm even due for an upgrade.

I got my plan in March last year and I did check the Sprint website and it did say I can extend to a 2-year contract with the new customer price. Kind of nervous.....lol

If you're a "premier" customer, then you get the upgrade every year.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking to get a case for my Moment and saw this in the store here. I have one very similar to it that came with my BB Tour (shown here) that has a magnetic strip in the front of it to make the Tour go to "sleep" when holstered.

Would that mess up the Moment?

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping it's safe, since I'm using a case with a magnet (either way I have insurance, so who cares), but I don't think it has the sleep thing. I'm curious as well about the magnets and if it effects the Moment.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not worried about having the sleep function or anything, I just want my phone to be safe.....lol I'd rather not jack it up and have to go through the insurance to get a replacement. I wanna assume that it'll be fine since a lot of cases now have magnets in them. The BB case has one in running the length of the inside though.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
That's brutal.. The case I have has a magent for the closure, but not the full lenth of the case.. although I might switch to the one you're looking at.. kind of like that style a little better..

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The one sold here has a magnetic closure as well. I assume that having a magnet on the closure is fine. I just didn't want to spend the money on a similar case, but I guess I'll have to :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084