New to Android, decisions to make..

mogabr

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
My apologies, if this isn't posted in the right forum...I've been searching previous posts, but can't find anything that helps me out. I'm currently a BB 8330 user, have used BB for about 5 years now in some variation. I'm really looking at the Hero or Moment as my next device and will most likely purchase within the next two months, once my contract is up w/ Sprint and I'm eligible for upgrade pricing...my question is which does everyone prefer, I've got 4 friends split down the middle 2(hero) & 2(moment), and they're split down the middle as far as like & don't like, I can't decide, I don't want to get a phone and regret it later or have to go and get another one, but basically this would be my first touchscreen phone, I want something different...what can I honestly expect?

Sorry for blabbing, like the title says, I've got decisions to make.

SquintySteam

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I just replaced my Pre with a Moment and I like it quite a bit. It feels good in my hands and I really really like the physical keyboard. It's not as slick lookiing as the Hero, in my opinion, but I'm more of a function than form guy.

So I can't compare it directly to the Hero but I'm really pleased with the Moment. However I've only had it 3 days.

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Have you considered jumping to Verizon and trying an Eris or Droid?

Also, by the time you're ready to get a new phone, who knows what will be available and from whom, so keep an open mind!:D

snuckles

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Won't you get 30 days to try out which ever phone you pick? I just switched from a Pre to the Moment. I think the major differences are the physical vs virtual keyboard. Is having a physical keyboard important to you?

mogabr

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I thought about switching to VZW, but quite frankly I'm happy with Sprint, I've never had all the issues that other people seem to have had with them. And that's very true also who knows what will be out by the time I make a decision. Thanks everyone.

rfra3645

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
so ive had a touch screen for 2 years. like 99% of which has been with the dare on verizon ( not android) ive come back to sprint ( long story) and have had 3 phones in 8 days.. the first was the samsung instinct. s30 i hated this phone and returned it within 3 days. then i went to a rumor2. blah.. and took it back the next day to get the moment. i know your only interested in the hero or the moment and the reason i said all that other crap is this.. ( i didnt know ) you are only "allowed " 1 exchange in the 30 "trial" i actually had to fight to get them to let me have the moment.

ok so beyond all that. i LOVE this phone granted i have only had it 4 days now.. but this phone is the bomb diggitty.. i love the android.. i love the functionality i love the way it feels. i love that it dosnt feel like its gonna break when i use it. the slide out keyboard is amazing. the dare i mentioned above only had the virtual keyboard. it was great.. but the slide out keyboard is wayyyyy greater there are 2 things i do not like.. i dont like that the slide keyboard is potentially something i could break.. possibly.. ( im hard on phones) the moment is a large phone! its thick its wide and its long. for me thats ok. if i was a hot seexy model type girl that painted my clothes on me and had only tiny pockets.. to go with my tiny purse.. this would not be the phone for me. that said. i think the motorola droid is bulkier.

ok thats all i got.

i give this phone a 4.8 outta 5!!!

good luck!!!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
My apologies, if this isn't posted in the right forum...I've been searching previous posts, but can't find anything that helps me out. I'm currently a BB 8330 user, have used BB for about 5 years now in some variation. I'm really looking at the Hero or Moment as my next device and will most likely purchase within the next two months, once my contract is up w/ Sprint and I'm eligible for upgrade pricing...my question is which does everyone prefer, I've got 4 friends split down the middle 2(hero) & 2(moment), and they're split down the middle as far as like & don't like, I can't decide, I don't want to get a phone and regret it later or have to go and get another one, but basically this would be my first touchscreen phone, I want something different...what can I honestly expect?

Sorry for blabbing, like the title says, I've got decisions to make.

First off, try them both. Start with the Hero. Run for a few days with Sense, then for a few days without Sense to see what Vanilla Android is like. If you Like vanilla, or like the way Home replacements work, try the Moment in the store. The Moment will run like the Hero with Sense shut down, but faster. Be sure to try it long enough to evaluate the keyboard, because stock Android's virtual keyboard flat out sucks compared to the HTC one. I LIKE the physical kb on the moment. Looks weird, but works great.

My reasons for picking the Hero over the Moment - Flash in the browser and contact integration through Sense. If the Moment had both, I'd be all over it.

Were you the type who always was loading leaks and tinkering with your curve? If so, the Hero might be a better choice as more people who like to tinker prefer it. The Droid is a great example of this. It's easily the most powerful and popular Android phone out, but development on it is going slower. It's different, and taking some time to find ways to trick it into doing what users want. Until last month all Android development was done on HTC phones, so it may be a while until all the nuances of the Motorola hardware are figured out. The Samsung will be even slower, as it's not very popular because of Sprint's release cycle. I almost wish they had released the Moment first.

If you're a speed freak, go for the Moment. With some minor tinkering it's fast. And the screen. Did I mention the screen? The Hero will seem light years faster than your curve was. The Moment is faster yet. And did I mention the screen? :D

In any case, be glad you have two months to decide. I know there's at least 2 new Android devices to be released on Sprint this Spring. If the upcoming Prada turns out to run Android, your decision just got easy. ;)

mogabr

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone...and yes I am a freak when it comes to tricking out my phone, can't wait to see what the next couple months will bring out.

snuckles

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
so ive had a touch screen for 2 years. like 99% of which has been with the dare on verizon ( not android) ive come back to sprint ( long story) and have had 3 phones in 8 days.. the first was the samsung instinct. s30 i hated this phone and returned it within 3 days. then i went to a rumor2. blah.. and took it back the next day to get the moment. i know your only interested in the hero or the moment and the reason i said all that other crap is this.. ( i didnt know ) you are only "allowed " 1 exchange in the 30 "trial" i actually had to fight to get them to let me have the moment.

:eek: I did not know this!!! Sooooooo, I better love this Moment, lol!!!

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I just came from the BB 8330 and I have to say I know I made the right choice. I did want the new curve 8530 but I am very happy about this with a touchscreen, hw kb, touchpad and modern OS. If you want Android and a trackball go for hero, if you still want a keyboard and the new trackpad w/ android go for the Moment.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1