Switching Phones-Advice Appreciated!

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm new here, and quite new to Android devices. I'm currently running a Blackberry Pearl 8130, and wish to make a switch to the Samsung Moment M900. What I want to ask is: is it worth it? Here are some things I've been wondering about, and would love feedback from all you (lucky!) Moment owners:

1. Sent ringtones. My BB was the first phone I've had that lets me save ringtones sent by others to my phone. Just wondering if this is possible with the Moment or not.

2. Is the battery really that bad? When I first got my BB the battery was horrible as well, until I tweaked some settings. Does this help with the Moment at all?

3. I love BB themes! I love being able to customize the look and feel of my phone. Does the Moment allow for downloadable themes or anything similar?

4. E-Mail. Just wondering, my BB is a pain to sync E-Mails from my Windows Live account. I have to forward to a *@sprint.blackberry.net account to get instant E-Mails. Do I have to do this with the Moment as well (since I don't have a GMail), or will it work out of the box with WL?

5. Android IM? Is there an Android only IM service (sort of like Blackberry Messenger)? Also, is there an AIM IM and a Windows Live/MSN IM app?

6. Just wondering if all Android apps will work on all Android-enabled phones?

I think that just about does it. I love my BB but my friend loves his Droid, and says I need an Android phone lol. I've looked into it a bit and it does look quite awesome. Seeing as I'm on Sprint and he's on Verizon. The Moment just seems like the best possibility to me, what with its hardware keyboard and all. Seems like a great phone. Also! Has anyone taken their phone to the Sprint store for the upgrade? Just looking for a time frame as to how long it takes them to upgrade. Thanks so much for all the help I've found here so far, and thanks to everyone that responds to this in advance! I hope to be a happy Android user soon!!! :D

JMusic

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
1. Not a problem.
2. Battery sucks. It will suck on any touchscreen, nice graphics, fast cpu, all forms of wireless device. How badly it sucks can be regulated a bit, but it will always suck.
3. Lots of options. Quite a few cost (a little bit).
4. Not a problem (but if you get an Android phone, you will have a gmail account, no option there even if you never use it).
5. No Android specific IM, but I can connect to pretty much any other IM service (I am always on AIM, Facebook, Myspace, and Gtalk for instance).
6. No, but this is seldom a problem. All Android apps can be made to work on all Android phones, but it kind of depends on the developer to deal with different screen sizes.

The Moment is a really nice phone. The hardware keyboard and the screen (and the fast processor) is what sold me on it. My only semi serious complaint is about battery life, and I can get a day of moderate use out of it (talking on the phone and texting don't abuse the battery, surfing the web does).

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much jMusic! I used to scour the Crackberry forums all the time (never registered lol), and found lots of info. Already this forum is becoming very useful! Thanks much!

So I guess my biggest question is....Android better than my current Blackberry? I'm not too worried about battery issues, I'm going to try my Sprint repair store to see about getting that fix, but I usually don't surf the web much on my phone (Zune HD is useful for that when I'm on the go, lol). I'll probably only do it at home plugged into the charger and on WiFi lol. But thank you so much for your quick response, and I look forward to becoming an Android user!