1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default just got the phone questions

I just got this phone two nights ago..ill try to explain. I plugged it in around 5pm and it fully charged by 10 when i got home so i took it off downloaded the task manager right away which to me kinda makes no sense because as soon as you end task if you reopen it there applications that open again, any way to get rid of this? So by 11 i shut the phone off and turned it back on at 10am and maybe sent 10 texts and went on facebook and it was dead by 1:30 i mean completely dead it shut off on its own. So i charged it all the way again with the phone off it was done charging at 5:30 and by 7:30 it said 15% i used it until 10 with not even having lots of apps open and a few texts and it died again.

I shut off wifi, BT, and gps and i am tryin to cycle the battery like said but am having no luck so far. I got 30 days to return it to sprint and have my old phone turned back on which is what i might do if i cant get more than a few hours out of it.

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

If you read on the forums here, there is a way to cycle the battery to calibrate it, as well as the new update, which a few of us have noticed a *HUGE* improvement in battery life.. I went to pretty much a full day of use before I have to recharge now.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

yea i have been cycling the battery..this is my 4th time charging it completely and letting it die on its own...today i shut off auto sync right away which i didntknow about before and it lasted from 8-4...but that was with maybe 20 text messages and maybe 5 minutes on facebook...i will probably return this phone if it dont get any better

Does your phone ave the c14 update on it? With the update, the battery life lasts twice as long as my Hero's battery life did. Before it was not as good as the Hero. It makes a dramatic difference.

Quote Originally Posted by imtravis View Post
    If you read on the forums here, there is a way to cycle the battery to calibrate it, as well as the new update, which a few of us have noticed a *HUGE* improvement in battery life.. I went to pretty much a full day of use before I have to recharge now.
    cycling the battery actually damages the battery... its better to replace the phone mine lasts a long time the whole day without recharging.. when you first bought the phone you should of done a full charge but cycling messes it up . google cycling lithium batterys...

Quote Originally Posted by Jo_795 View Post
    cycling the battery actually damages the battery... its better to replace the phone mine lasts a long time the whole day without recharging.. when you first bought the phone you should of done a full charge but cycling messes it up . google cycling lithium batterys...
    I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Cycling a Lithium Ion battery can be detrimental to the life of the battery if you drain it completely. However, cycling it with your handset does not drain the battery completely, it will have no ill effect on the cell(s), as the phone will not let the battery get any lower than approx 3.4 Volts. It is important to cycle it a few times so that battery life prediction algorithms are correct and as accurate as possible.

We all need to keep in mind that Android is still in it's infancy, and the moment has the pleasure of being a CDMA phone running cupcake(which isn't supposed to support CDMA). I have high hopes that 2.1 will have improved the efficiency of background processes and extend the battery life.
    Treo 300-> Treo 650-> Treo 700p-> Moto Q-> HTC Touch-> HTC Mogul-> Moto Q9c-> BB 8330-> HTC Touch Pro-> Samsung Moment-> HTC Hero-> HTC Evo

Disclaimer: In these forums, I do not represent or speak for Sprint-Nextel or Ericsson.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremylobaugh View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Cycling a Lithium Ion battery can be detrimental to the life of the battery if you drain it completely. However, cycling it with your handset does not drain the battery completely, it will have no ill effect on the cell(s), as the phone will not let the battery get any lower than approx 3.4 Volts. It is important to cycle it a few times so that battery life prediction algorithms are correct and as accurate as possible.

We all need to keep in mind that Android is still in it's infancy, and the moment has the pleasure of being a CDMA phone running cupcake(which isn't supposed to support CDMA). I have high hopes that 2.1 will have improved the efficiency of background processes and extend the battery life.
    give me a link to the actual term of Cycling then? because all ive read and seen is to drain it completely where it dies on you. and you just stated that will effect the battery in a bad way

if you wanted to drain your battery completely, after it died in the phone, you would need to attach a resistive load to it and continue to drain the potential energy out of it, which could potentially cause cell reversal. Once lithium cells have reversed on you, there is no going back. The phone will not allow the battery to get any lower than 3.4 volts, and will not damage it, please read what I typed again.

I am not trying to give you a hard time. I have 20+ years of electronics experience, a degree in electrical engineering and have designed hundreds of DC power systems. when I get home this evening I will see if I can find links to some of the Li-Ion literature that I have used when designing battery packs.
    Treo 300-> Treo 650-> Treo 700p-> Moto Q-> HTC Touch-> HTC Mogul-> Moto Q9c-> BB 8330-> HTC Touch Pro-> Samsung Moment-> HTC Hero-> HTC Evo

Disclaimer: In these forums, I do not represent or speak for Sprint-Nextel or Ericsson.

thats what i asked for links because i read over what you type ... im starting to understand even though you drain it completely you wont damage because it wont let it lower then 3.4 volts.. but if you used the resistivae load like you said then drain it completely that would damage it ? correct? your wording needs more sense

I was simply trying to emphasize that the phone will not let the cell voltage get low enough to damage the battery.

check out what wikipedia has to say.

Here is an article from a page I frequent.
    Last edited by jeremylobaugh; 02-04-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

I think the problem is I used the term cycling but used it incorrectly.. What I meant was to calibrate it (as is described in a few forum posts). I apologize for any miscommunication on my part.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

i did the cycling but it dont seem to be better...i havent gotten the update yet. but i got a few questions because i might return this thing.

how come everytime i get a phone call or text or anything, when i go to task manager it always opens these applications : moxier mail, voice control, sprint navigation, voicemail, instant messanger, alarm clock. Is there anyways to get these programs to not pop up and run all the time?

I really like this phone but seems kind of stupid to have a phone that always runs and dont sleep. I have wifi turned off, auto sync turned off and i barely get a day out of it. I just think its stupid that everytime you use the phone you have to go into task killer and kill everything.

Do you guys think with android 2.1 or any ohther updates it will make it so the phone doesnt run so many applications without opening them?

Those programs need to run in the background in order for your phone to work. I use advanced task killer and have the following apps in the ignore list: voicemail, voice control, sports tap, facebook, k-9 mail, TWC, and Moxier. They are always running, and if i need to kill on of them, i can pull it out of the ignore list, or kill the process manually in a terminal window.

BTW, any phone is going to have processes running in the background, well, maybe not Zack Morris' phone.

The CL14 update does help(although, I'm running a custom kernel), I have high hopes that 2.1 will run leaner and be easier on the processor and using less power

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

so no matter what type of android phone you get whether its the iphone, nexus one, hero they all will have programs running in the background that wont shut off? What is the point in this...half the times alarm clock, voice control are on and i never use them...why would samsung make them pop up all the time if u dont even click them?

Quote Originally Posted by cocoleveo7686 View Post
    so no matter what type of android phone you get whether its the iphone, nexus one, hero they all will have programs running in the background that wont shut off? What is the point in this...half the times alarm clock, voice control are on and i never use them...why would samsung make them pop up all the time if u dont even click them?
    most phones do this regardless... rooting your phone you can get rid of these useless apps that you dont need or use..
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Jo_795 View Post
    most phones do this regardless... rooting your phone you can get rid of these useless apps that you dont need or use..
    how do you root the phone to get rid of it?

also how do you make the phone vibrate when you receive a text?

Global Posts
    4,500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

I use Handcent for my SMS and that can be set up in your settings menu.

Menu > Settings > Notification Settings > Vibrate
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

how do you root the phone to get rid of it?

theres links for rooting you should google it but i mean rooting the moment sounds a little more tricky then other phones.. i havent rooted my phone because of this and im waiting for the 2.1 update..
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post

do i have to download handcent as an app?

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

Yes, you can download it from the market.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post

ok so i downloaded it and got the vibrate but now my next question is...will the stock messaging and handcent SMS both always pop up when getting a text? If so that kinda seems dumb to have both running all the time when getting texts.

.... downloaded the task manager right away which to me kinda makes no sense because as soon as you end task if you reopen it there applications that open again, any way to get rid of this?....
    Yes, to remove an application there are 2 methods

1. open market / menu / downloads / select app to remove / click "uninstall"

2. from home screen / menu / settings / applications / manage applications / select app to remove / click "uninstall"

These steps are how I do it on my Motorola Droid 2.0.1 - don't know if that applies to your model / OS.

ok so i downloaded it and got the vibrate but now my next question is...will the stock messaging and handcent SMS both always pop up when getting a text? If so that kinda seems dumb to have both running all the time when getting texts.
    If you're using Handcent it is best to set the native messaging app to have no notification (to avoid duplicate notification, plus Handcent has more customizeable notifications - i.e. color, different tone per contact, etc.).

When you say "pop up" do you mean actually have the message "pop up" on your screen? To my knowledge, that is not part of the native messaging app. However, it is an option in Handcent that can be enabled / disabled.
    Last edited by prometheus; 02-09-2010 at 12:17 PM.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    If you're using Handcent it is best to set the native messaging app to have no notification (to avoid duplicate notification, plus Handcent has more customizeable notifications - i.e. color, different tone per contact, etc.).

When you say "pop up" do you mean actually have the message "pop up" on your screen? To my knowledge, that is not part of the native messaging app. However, it is an option in Handcent that can be enabled / disabled.
    no i meant in the top left it has the notification for both the handcent and for the stock messagive application. I want to disable the stock one but how do i do that?

Global Posts
    4,500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

no i meant in the top left it has the notification for both the handcent and for the stock messagive application. I want to disable the stock one but how do i do that?
    Go into the native messaging app > settings > notifications

That should un-check the box that allows for status bar notifications.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa