Auto-Airplane Mode?

ZimLanfire

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Greetings Android Central!

I wish my premiere post on the forum was done in better taste; however I'm struck with a problem I can't seem to solve.

My Samsung Moment, which I've now had for only two weeks, seems to place itself into Airplane Mode automatically. Whether I'm at the house, at work, or somewhere in between, it seems to just switch to it every now-and-then for no apparent reason.

When I go to switch it off, it SAYS that Airplane Mode is turned OFF; however I have an 'X' over my bars and can receive no calls or data. I end up having to turn the thing OFF and restart it to regain my phone's abilities.

I've searched the forums a bit and have found that the Droid seems to do the same thing now-and-then, but the only relationship between the two is the OS.

So, does anyone know if this is a flaw with Android v1.5/1.6 or what? Anyone having similar trouble or know how to fix it?

jayty97

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here

My business is in a building which gets no reception. I use an Airave in my shop, but it seems that when I spend time elsewhere in the building without reception for a long period of time, the radios will shut down... almost as if it goes into a power save mode, which isn't implemented correctly and does not turn off as most devices do when a user attempts to use the device. turning airplane mode on and off does not fix it and the only fix I've found is a reset. I have also experienced this for no apparent reason a few times as well. Between this and the device freezing up when making calls at times, it's getting pretty annoying, especially seeing that I'm missing calls almost daily because of it.

ZimLanfire

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I've actually experienced that freeze up you just wrote about, once. The phone just froze and did nothing mid-call. I had to take the battery out in order to get the in-call screen to disappear; which was a real pain because I've got a Body Glove on the phone itself, making that kind of 'reset' difficult.

Well, hopefully it'll be fixed with the (again hopefully) upcoming 2.0/2.1 update.

jayty97

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on an update any time soon. I was hoping that getting a Samsung device, I would not experience these problems. On top of the two previous issues I stated, the gps is horrendous.. mid nav, the chip loses satellite and never comes back up. I find myself having to restart the device multiple times a day for one reason or another. I had the Pre for 6 months and kept experiencing hardware failures (loved the interface though!) These kinds of issues should simply just not happen. I have a feeling that I might not be able to wait for an update before these issues become too costly (missed calls, frozen calls and lost navigation). I've never experienced issues like the ones I have in last last year with these so called "smartphones" coming from simpler devices. Even the Omnia was more reliable.. I'm willing to pay to have all the features in my pocket, but they have to at least be reliable.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on an update any time soon. I was hoping that getting a Samsung device, I would not experience these problems. On top of the two previous issues I stated, the gps is horrendous.. mid nav, the chip loses satellite and never comes back up. I find myself having to restart the device multiple times a day for one reason or another. I had the Pre for 6 months and kept experiencing hardware failures (loved the interface though!) These kinds of issues should simply just not happen. I have a feeling that I might not be able to wait for an update before these issues become too costly (missed calls, frozen calls and lost navigation). I've never experienced issues like the ones I have in last last year with these so called "smartphones" coming from simpler devices. Even the Omnia was more reliable.. I'm willing to pay to have all the features in my pocket, but they have to at least be reliable.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-now-says-samsung-moments-21-upgrade-coming-early-q2

ZimLanfire

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I'll hold out for the update I think.

Right about the time I say "SCREW IT!" and get a new phone, the update will come out and fix everything. *story of my life...*

On that note, Airplane Mode hit me TWICE today. *sigh*

...just a little longer...

ZimLanfire

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Just had a thought...

Is is possible to DISABLE Airplane Mode on the Moment after ROOT'ing the phone?

I know rooting gives access to everything in the OS, so is it possible to turn OFF Airplane Mode? Anyone know?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze