Samsung Pay Didn't Work At Walmart!

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi N5 Peeps,

I seem to have run into an issue. I was excited to use S-Pay this morning at Walmart, and looking forward to some people asking me questions, but it didn't work, so I looked like a "Sucker - Donkey" in line.....heehaw.jpg. I simply swiped up and held my finger on the fingerprint button and S-Pay started buzzing indicating it's ready. I placed the device near the pay device and nothing. I did the process twice, but no go. So, I had to pull out my wallet and swipe the card. Man.....that stunk!...Lol! So, Did I do it right? Was I suppose to hold the phone near the bottom of the pay device or keep my finger on the fingerprint button? That's beta for ya! Lol. Could someone please shed some light? Thanks.

Here is the pay device I tried to use S-Pay with:

wal250.jpg

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi N5 Peeps,

I seem to have run into an issue. I was excited to use S-Pay this morning at Walmart, and looking forward to some people asking me questions, but it didn't work, so I looked like a "Sucker - Donkey" in line.....View attachment 197065. I simply swiped up and held my finger on the fingerprint button and S-Pay started buzzing indicating it's ready. I placed the device near the pay device and nothing. I did the process twice, but no go. So, I had to pull out my wallet and swipe the card. Man.....that stunk! So, Did I do it right? Was I suppose to hold the phone near the bottom of the pay device or keep my finger on the fingerprint button? Could someone please shed some light? Thanks.

View attachment 197069

Did you wait for the card reader to ask for the card? I've read that if you initiate the transaction before the terminals are asking for the card, not only it may fails but it can even causes issues to the card reader (Somehow), again, I just read that, I can't tell for sure if it's true or not.

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Did you wait for the card reader to ask for the card? I've read that if you initiate the transaction before the terminals are asking for the card, not only it may fails but it can even causes issues to the card reader (Somehow), again, I just read that, I can't tell for sure if it's true or not.

Yes...sir! I did it twice, then had to swipe my card to process payment. I wasn't moving the phone fast at all. I move it slowly all over the pay device to connect, since it didn't work by the MST strip.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think it would help to look for the metal contacts inside the swipe strip and place the phone as close as possible to those. It seems like that pay terminal has a LOT of plastic around the contact points, so you might now have been able to get the phone close enough to process the transaction. I think this could end up being an issue with certain terminals.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I'll take that as another sign to never go to Walmart! Lol. On a serious note, I did get it to work at Walmart the other day. I did nothing different. Sorry, I don't know what you could do different.

Posted via the Android Central App

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I hope the N5 doesn't have to be naked. Most people have cases and I have a very thin case as of now. I hope that wasn't part of the reason it didn't work.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't using a credit card simpler than using your phone? Credit card transactions in most places is so simple - swipe, and usually no signature required. It just seems to me, that using the phone is more trouble.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes...sir! I did it twice, then had to swipe my card to process payment. I wasn't moving the phone fast at all. I move it slowly all over the pay device to connect, since it didn't work by the MST strip.

Then contact Samsung Pay support and offer them as much information as possible as this is one of the reasons why these Beta program periods exists so they can try to get all the real life experiences and try to fix possible issues.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't using a credit card simpler than using your phone? Credit card transactions in most places is so simple - swipe, and usually no signature required. It just seems to me, that using the phone is more trouble.

It is a little easier to use your phone.

Pull out phone, swipe up from home button, scan your fingerprint. And pay.

I find that easier then pulling my wallet out. Then taking the card out. And putting it back in.

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I hope the N5 doesn't have to be naked. Most people have cases and I have a very thin case as of now. I hope that wasn't part of the reason it didn't work.

I haven't tried at Walmart, but my phone was in a very thick plastic case. No problems. I held it right over the edge where the card swipes.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

It isn't about "easier" for me, it's about security. With SP you are only passing tokenized data through the terminal. If their system gets hacked no one has your card information.

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Excellent point! They try to make pulling out the phone, swipe-up and fingerprint quick and easy, just as pulling out the card from the wallet, swipe, enter PIN or signature and done. So, it's just as easy. In addition, another reason is mainly security protection. S-Pay (through your bank institution) gives you a virtual (fake) credit/debit card number protecting the actual card numbers. The physical card gives the actual numbers and sometimes you end up handing the card to the rep. Also some bad reps have managed to copy card numbers quickly during a sales transaction it's been done before. You'll find this on Youtube. After the smartphone, it will be skin embedded microchips to truly identify who you are. Technology.....it's good, bad and a little scary.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi N5 Peeps,

I seem to have run into an issue. I was excited to use S-Pay this morning at Walmart, and looking forward to some people asking me questions, but it didn't work, so I looked like a "Sucker - Donkey" in line.....View attachment 197065. I simply swiped up and held my finger on the fingerprint button and S-Pay started buzzing indicating it's ready. I placed the device near the pay device and nothing. I did the process twice, but no go. So, I had to pull out my wallet and swipe the card. Man.....that stunk!...Lol! So, Did I do it right? Was I suppose to hold the phone near the bottom of the pay device or keep my finger on the fingerprint button? That's beta for ya! Lol. Could someone please shed some light? Thanks.

View attachment 197069

It works!
I just used it at a Publix grocery store with the same type of card scanner
You have to let the cashier know you are going to use the card, so he can allow it from his side, then you have to put the phone at the TOP of the card scanner (NOT the side), where you slide the card....it should read it

The cashier was like "its not gonna work we dont do that here"....when I did it he was like "Whoa! I have never seen that before".....priceless

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

It was actually easier to use the phone in my experience
All I do it touch and go and also no signature needed...sometimes when you card swipe it doesn't even work when the machine doesn't recognize the card
It's just something you have to get used to

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It works!
You have to let the cashier know you are going to use the card, so he can allow it from his side, then you have to put the phone at the TOP of the card scanner (NOT the side), where you slide the card....it should read it

The cashier was like "its not gonna work we dont do that here"....when I did it he was like "Whoa! I have never seen that before".....priceless

Oh Man!.....Lol....Haha. I'll try your advice. Thanks! :D

fooferdoggie

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
as far as I know walmart has never worked with nfc. did not work with my iphone ether. even though they show how to use the new smart cards my wells fargo one won't work in the slot. I used to use my iphone at home depot and that won't work and my s6 won't work either.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
It works!

That's what I'm talking about! Good to hear it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463