Walmart doesn't take Samsung Pay according to their Corporate customer service

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I was in a local Walmart today and couldn't use Samsung pay with either of my cards (Amex and Visa) so they brought over an asst. mgr. He said Walmart doesn't accept SP--just Walmart Pay.

Not trusting that comment, I called their corporate offices and was told none of Walmart takes SP or Apple Pay. How stupid (literally) is that?

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd hate to tell them I've been using it from day one. Haven't had an issue with my note 5 or gear s3. Used it there yesterday.
While true that they cannot accept the nfc payment part of Samsung pay or Apple pay, I do use the mst portion of Samsung pay with 100% success at Walmart's I've shopped at

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That's what I suspected, Scott. thanks for posting. I think it's beyond crazy that Walmart doesn't accept SP, using the magnetic impulses from the phone which mimic a "real card" swipe.

I think it's just the lame store that I went to, as opposed to a corporate-wide issue.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Used it a little bit ago.
e213317be78d3124061d9e2152efb236.jpg

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What are you smoking? The video clearly says they do not accept Apple pay or Samsung pay at the end of the video

I've used my phone in countless places where the clerks don't think it will work but it does because as you said the Samsung pay mimics a credit card. Unfortunately it doesn't work at the Walmart that I go to occasionally and I don't know why they can't be uniform in there response to customer inquiries about whether or not they accept Samsung pay

Last edited by a moderator:

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I used Samsung pay with my note 7 a lot, but I was always confused about the NFC vs the MS. And if I needed to keep NFC turned on in order to make Samsung pay work.

In keeping with the thread I doubt Walmart will care, but it will help to keep me out of Walmart.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You better watch it again! It says it doesn't accept "Apple pay or ANDROID pay" which is a different mobile pay service than "Samsung pay". ������������������
LOL you're right it's Android pay that they say they don't take as well as Apple pay. Good catch

However, their corporate offices where they field customer inquiries says they do not take Samsung pay. I went ahead and installed Walmart pay on my phone and the only downside I can see is it takes a couple more clicks to get to it and you have to have NFC enabled. NFC does not need to be enabled all the time with Samsung pay because Samsung pay briefly turns on NFC for about 20 seconds to complete the transaction then turns it off

I used Samsung pay with my note 7 a lot, but I was always confused about the NFC vs the MS. And if I needed to keep NFC turned on in order to make Samsung pay work.

In keeping with the thread I doubt Walmart will care, but it will help to keep me out of Walmart.
You do not need to keep NFC enabled all the time if you use Samsung pay. You only need to manually turn on NFC if you're using Android pay. Samsung pay turns on both the magnetic and NFC for roughly 20 seconds each time you make a transaction. If the default for your phone is for NFC to be off then it is turned off by Samsung pay when the transaction is completed

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Walmart pay works OK. You do not need nfc though, it uses a qr code at the register to authorize a transaction at that particular register, at that store, for that amount. But what it does need is data connection. So any phone with a rear camera can use Walmart pay. Doesn't need nfc.

None of the cashiers I used Samsung pay with noticed I even did it. Transaction was authorized before they finished ringing up my purchases.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Walmart pay works OK. You do not need nfc though, it uses a qr code at the register to authorize a transaction at that particular register, at that store, for that amount. But what it does need is data connection. So any phone with a rear camera can use Walmart pay. Doesn't need nfc.
You're right it uses the camera and I thought that I had seen NFC get enabled on my phone as I was setting up Walmart's app so maybe it was just a glitch as I've been having trouble the last couple days with various settings on my phone getting changed without my knowledge. I've had this periodically happen on several of my phones where all of a sudden a bunch of settings change. For instance some things get toggled off and some other things get toggled on and I haven't been anywhere near those settings screens

Tofael Tohin

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
IT WORKS in Walmart! (05/01/2017)

I was in a local Walmart today and couldn't use Samsung pay with either of my cards (Amex and Visa) so they brought over an asst. mgr. He said Walmart doesn't accept SP--just Walmart Pay.

Not trusting that comment, I called their corporate offices and was told none of Walmart takes SP or Apple Pay. How stupid (literally) is that?

That comment is BS! They don't have any idea about Samsung Pay!

Please allow me to share my experience. I started to use Samsung Pay 2 weeks ago with my newly bought S7 Active. SP is one of the main reason for me to get the phone, otherwise I would by a Google Pixel. So, I tried SP 2 weeks ago, for the first time at "33201 Van ****, Sterling Heights, MI 48312", in self checkout terminal. I got, "Card reader error, insert chip", then prompted me for PIN. I punched in my bank card PIN and it was declined. I searched online, found this forum and thought, SP is not supported in Walmart! I even setup Walmart Pay.

Today (5/1/17), I went to same Walmart, just to try SP again. Cz, in these 2 weeks, I tried SP in Macy's, some local stores, it worked flawlessly. I was BLOWN away by it. So, I bought a Monster drink, tried SP, got the same "card reader error". I cancelled it, paid with my card. After about 15 minutes, I bought some more stuff, used SP, got "card reader error" then asked me about cash back, I selected 'No'. Then it prompted for the PIN. This time, I touched "change payment/other payment" in the touch screen (I was at the self checkout terminal), I selected 'Credit' & it WORKED! After about 30 minutes, I payed for my sister at the same store, self checkout but different terminal, it WORKED again!

So, the summary is, YOU HAVE TO BYPASS PIN in Samsung Pay. You cannot enter any PIN, cause you don't have one. And after using it in Walmart and get it worked, I'm 100% sure that, "Samsung Pay is UNIVERSAL. No one can switch it off! It's just not possible! IT WILL WORK EVERYWHERE". If it doesn't work in first try, you have to try it again, but it WILL WORK.

Thanks