Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  
    ROM Developer

Default Re: EF27 Update

eck, a tar of /system works i suppose... but a dd of it would be MUCH nicer.... if we got odin working i could make a rooted kernel at the least so then we wouldnt need an exploit etc...

keep trying using kms ec but i wonder if this update blocks it?
    Webchat support for the Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I've helped you then please buy me a beer

ROM
    Stock

I'll do it again and edit this post with the output.

EDIT: Here's the log. A manual attempt fails at the remount, making it obvious that you can't continue. KMS runs, but no privileges are granted. All I could find out was that su has been removed from /system/xbin, making the symlink in /system/bin useless. If I could get a modified Superuser.apk to run su from a different location like /data/local, I could probably get a dd of the other files for a full dump. Any of this sound possible? Or maybe I could manually call su from shell from another location? (adb.exe shell /data/local/tmp/su -c 'dd if=/dev/bml1... etc.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by firehak; 07-20-2011 at 01:25 AM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  
    ROM Developer

ok when was the last time you downloaded the one click root? i know interdpth updated it due to an update on the prevail.. this looks like an older version

ROM
    Stock

It probably is then, I did a Google search and downloaded it. This method worked for both our phones originally. Maybe dropping the new files in will work.

Edit: Still a no-go. Same problems as before, even with the updated files. Calling su (even on my rooted phone) gives a permission denied error if placed at /data/local/tmp/su, so that didn't work either.
    Last edited by firehak; 07-20-2011 at 02:54 AM.

Im trying to get my wifes replenish back to stock so that she can get this stupid update. Does anybody have the stock system? Or how do I get it back to stock. I rooted her phone and tweaked some system files, etc. and now I get an error when I try to install the "update.zip". Also, is the a custom recovery for this yet? That would make it alot easier than using adb.

ROM
    Stock

A stock odin tar of EF27 may be in the works. I believe he is making a stock rooted and a tar for LeafRom, but I could be wrong

So how do people get this update if they are on leaf rom? I removed a bunch of system files, so I am guessing that is what keeps the update from installing. Is there a stock system dump that I could use to push the files?

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by shiftr182 View Post
    So how do people get this update if they are on leaf rom? I removed a bunch of system files, so I am guessing that is what keeps the update from installing. Is there a stock system dump that I could use to push the files?
    Removing system files has nothing to do with stopping it. You can edit /system/build.prop to say you're running EF27. We can't update because official updates check the validity of system files. A new rom is currently being worked on by Shabbypenguin that is based off of the new update.

Quote Originally Posted by firehak View Post
    Removing system files has nothing to do with stopping it. You can edit /system/build.prop to say you're running EF27. We can't update because official updates check the validity of system files. A new rom is currently being worked on by Shabbypenguin that is based off of the new update.
    Its things like this that make me glad I have a nexus

ROM
    Stock

Why? Stock has its updates, and custom roms have theirs. It makes sense to do it that way. What's different about the nexus?

I'm confused by that, too. If you ran a custom ROM on your Nexus, you'd have the same problem when an official update got pushed. Well, maybe not, depending on what files the ROM changed, but in general, a custom ROM wouldn't pass the initial device check when doing an update.

I guess maybe most people don't run custom ROMs on the Nexus, since they're priority #1 when Google releases the latest version. There's nothing to stop Google from having the phone pass a different check before the update gets applied, though. On my Droid Pro, I had no custom ROM, but Motorola made it so that it checked to make sure all stock apps were present. Since I had rooted and removed the crap I don't need, I couldn't do the update until I reflashed the stock ROM or installed all those missing APKs manually.

I say it makes me glad I have a nexus because there are so many developers on it. We got an update yesterday, it has already been rooted, deodexed, etc.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  
    ROM Developer

Quote Originally Posted by shiftr182 View Post
    I say it makes me glad I have a nexus because there are so many developers on it. We got an update yesterday, it has already been rooted, deodexed, etc.
    actually the number of developers is rather small on the nexus s 4g. as for it being deodex'd etc, it was a big pain in the... well you know, since i lost my linux install i had to do it completely via a live dvd. but in the end i managed to pull it off. it isnt zipaligned however so i wanna get my install back up and running and then see if i cant do it properly. what i threw out was something to hold the flashing crazies over

Global Posts
    2,868 Global Posts

Does anybody still need a copy of some fresh EF23 firmware goodness??

Just realized I have a second phone that I haven't put to use yet. Totally forgot about it until a while ago, wondering if I got myself into trouble by updating to EF27.

Just lemme know if you guys need it..

I would love to have a copy of the /system/app folder....

So is it possible to root with the EF27 update? and if so can you provide a step by step?

Quote Originally Posted by cooleo.kid View Post
    So is it possible to root with the EF27 update? and if so can you provide a step by step?
    I managed to get mine to work Great, not sure what was special. I used leafRom v.2 tried with sendLeaf and that was a no go, but once that finished rebooting, while debug usb was still running I ran the batch file included in shabby's .2 release. And Viola I'm rooted and running LeafRom on EF27. And honestly I think it was a complete fluke as I have extremely limited linux experince and no android experince. This phone was only 4 hours old. So I don't know it that helps but I thought I would share anyway, and a thanks to Shabby and Firehak your posts have taught me alot.

ROM
    ics.......215 leak

Quote Originally Posted by firehak View Post
    Will editing /system/build.prop to show that i have EF27,(and possibly removing the update from the cache), stopthe ever so annoying reminder that the update is available....or will it eventually return ?
    Feeding my android addiction ...... one phone at a time....

ROM
    ics.......215 leak

updating my last post.....about an hour ago.....i edited /system/build.prop to show that i am running the EF27, AND deleted it from /cache..... so far the reminder has not returned, and it has not re downloaded, where before, it was popping up every 15 min or so (even with deleting from cache only)....i hope this helps anyone/everyone.... many thanx to firehak and shabby for the work and information
    Feeding my android addiction ...... one phone at a time....

every time i try to apply this update the verification fails. im curently running leaf rom v.2 an i need help fixing this.

ROM
    EK.18

In order to have this update, you have to go back to stock ed23.

Instructions here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabbypenguin View Post
    odin and ops files

pda tar (system, recovery, kernel. data)

1. Download and unzip the file.
    2. Install the Samsung USB drivers
    3. Put phone in Download Mode by holding Space, P and Power button until the Yellow Downloading message appears
    4. Plug phone into USB port
    5. Open Odin, you should see a yellow box with a com number
    6. Select ops file and the PDA.tar in the appropriate Boxes
    7. Click Start

this is a prerooted odin system image but for the most part, stock ( i wanna say the pre ef27 update but not too sure.) this is good for people who dont want to be on leafrom anymore

now that we have odin working ill try to get cwm knocked out and then leafrom 0.3 and a custom kernel for yall in teh next few days sorry its been so slow

what appropriate boxes do you out them in? i dont get it

Got a new replenish from Bestbuy, it didnt have the update. Im to young to go to the sprint store myself and have them manually update it, so I downloaded this. When I try to get it to work, it says "aborting process" and stops. I renamed the filed "update.zip" and moved it to the root of my SD card. Ive looked around for hours today looking for links on how to download it. None of the links work, not even for Gingerbread! This is the only link thats actually let me download somthing! But it didnt work :\ ..

I jut reloked at my phone and noticed it wat .zip.zip, I got rid of the .zip I wrote and rtried it. now Im gtting a erroe 7 or somthing.

Ok noob question, but what do you mean by move it to the root of the sd card? :o

Edit: ok nevermind I figured out what it ment,, so when I rebooted it and chose to apply the update it was going good then it said this

0/EF27:user/release-keys"
    E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation Aborted

Can someone please explain what this means? lol
    Last edited by Shmooey; 07-01-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast