Lack of Internal Memory....what to do?

Tyndall

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well a friend and her daughter have gotten the Replenish. She tells me she is constantly running out of room, and that her phone is filled. I look at the phone and sure enough her internal memory is all but exhausted. I try to move apps to the SD card......apparently none of her apps can be moved.

so my questtions on her (and my) behalf:

1. Can apps be moved to the SD card on this phone or is it that she just so happens to have d\l apps that cannot be moved?

2. what are folks doing to deal with this issue. Seems the amount of internal storage on this device is tiny (at least compared to my Nexus S 4g, anyway).

Thanks for any insight!

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Even the apps that can be moved don't completely move. It's built into Android under Settings->Applications-> Manage applications. You can tap any app and hit the move to sd button, but it still leaves data on the internal memory. There really isn't much storage space on the Replenish. It's not meant to be a big and powerful phone, so you just can't install a whole lot of apps at one time. :(

nate3378

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have had success with App2SD and Force2SD. I have over 200 apps installed, and 46MB remaining on internal. Also there is a program called Mini Tool Partition Wizard that you can use to partition an sd card, so that it will hold more system memory.

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I have had success with App2SD and Force2SD. I have over 200 apps installed, and 46MB remaining on internal. Also there is a program called Mini Tool Partition Wizard that you can use to partition an sd card, so that it will hold more system memory.

Are you actually users those apps on a Replenish ?

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
No need for apps2sd. Just do this with your rooted phone:

1. Start a terminal app (you can download one from the market for free).

2. Type "su" and make sure you hit allow when the super user asks you to allow terminal to access super user rights.

3. type "pm setInstallLocation 2"

Now, you can move some apps (those that don't have widgets) to the SD card using firehak's suggestion above.

Reactions: Vubu

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I can move many of my apps to the SD card without rooting.... Your friend apparently likes apps with widgets, or some that for some other reason won't move to the SD card.

Tyndall

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their input!

Their solution was to return both phones and get the free Nexus S 4G phones from Best Buy this week, Problem definitely solved, the only downside was the $10 data premium, but considering the cost of the Nexus was 0 it is justifiable considering they got MUCH nicer and more useful phones,

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I am a bit frustrated with the lack of storage, however. I have very few apps installed and only have 20mb left.

The worst part is, when I hit 15mb I get that annoying "your phone is low on space" warning. Is there any way to get rid of that?

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I guess it comes down to clever app selections.

Example: Uninstall Twitter and Facebook and install Tweetdeck. My free space jumped from 19mb free to 29mb.

Long story short: Facebook = bloated.

v_sprad#AC

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess it comes down to clever app selections.

Example: Uninstall Twitter and Facebook and install Tweetdeck. My free space jumped from 19mb free to 29mb.

Long story short: Facebook = bloated.

You can free up 10 or so more mb's by uninstalling those google maps updates.. If, that is, you don't need all those 3d city views it comes with.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
How does one uninstall the google map updates but not google maps? And I have never seen the 3d views before. Isn't this a gingerbread and beyond feature?

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, you need to be picky with the Replenish. I think the 3D view is the Google Street View. I've used it a few times out of curiosity, but I'd rather just stick to the GPS mode. I think I reads somewhere that street view is just a separate apk file.

EDIT: Yeah, street view is just an addition and can be removed from /system/app/Street.apk

v_sprad#AC

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
How does one uninstall the google map updates but not google maps? And I have never seen the 3d views before. Isn't this a gingerbread and beyond feature?

If you go to manage applications like normal, you don't have an option to uninstall google maps, but you do have the option to uninstall the updates... I don't know exactly what the updates cover, but my sons navigation works just fine without them.

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Good suggestions, all. Unfortunately, I do make good use of the Maps updates as I am a public transportation user, so it has become very helpful to have the stop-by-stop feature.

I do plan on re-building my Leaf rom to remove the bloat, however (thanks firehak!). I'm sure I can cut out quite a bit of things I never use (e.g. the mail app, since I only use GMail).

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
A good thing to do while removing bloat is to view your /system/app directory and read the descriptions on the wiki link inside the readme for ShabbyLeaf. That way you know what apps are safe for YOU to remove. If there are apps not listed in the bloat list I provided, all you have to do is add it to the list (or make your own!) and click load list again. It automatically adds /system/app/ to the path, so just the name of the apk and the extension (.apk or .odex). I know we are deodexed, but this will work with any Android phone. Only the rom tab is specific to LeafRom and ShabbyMod.